1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Vehicle needs valve clearance adjustment/Throttle and fuel system cleaning"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TopTeke, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

All the Tacoma engines use the Shim under bucket design. It is a very dependable system. Noisy, yes. But reliable.

2. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    TopTeke

TopTeke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 6spd. Access Cab
    Fuel mileage and power is just as good as before.

3. Jun 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    Yes, almost all high performance motorcycle engines use it as well, and they all spin 2x as fast as the Tacoma engine and even faster.

But removing the cams to do an adjustment just sucks.

My KZ900 had shim-over-bucket lifters, which just required a little $15 tool to compress the valve spring & you never had to remove the cams. That was one of the most bullet-proof engines ever designed and was able to rev over 13,000 RPM without blowing up.

I sure wish Toyota had used that method.

4. Jun 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    You have to remove the cams to adjust valve clearance? Well, at least you can check it without doing all that I'm sure--and if you're lucky you won't be out of spec.

That's a step backward from my '64 Plymouth. Solid lifters, and you adjusted the clearance with a wrench and screwdriver on the rocker arms.

5. Jun 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    If it's the "tick" that set the mechanics off, I would suggest the following,,, unless the mechanic has a good answer when you query them; go get a mechanics stethyscope (sp??), or a long screwdriver, and place it against the valve covers. If the tick is coming from the valve cover(s), the dealer _may_ have something. If the noise is coming from that annoying little air valve on the intake, then you've seen the thread on trying to minimize that.

I have a very hard time believing that the valve shims need adjusting.

Note that if it is the valves ticking, you may first want to try an oil change with a good synthetic oil and new filter. Sometimes old/low/wrong viscosity oil will cause a valve tick.

6. Jun 22, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I have a '47 Plymouth flathead with the same system.

The thing is that bucket lifters eliminate rocker arms, and that coupled with the OHC design's lack of push rods and screw adjusters, eliminates a lot of weight from the valve train.

Weight is the main enemy of reciprocating machines, and a lighter valve train can run much faster without wearing out or requiring frequent adjustments.
    (Or floating the valves!)

Here a Tacoma is only suspected of requiring a valve adjustment at 80,000 miles, while I did a valve adjustment on my Plymouth every 15,000 miles and it needed it too.

7. Jun 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    TopTeke

TopTeke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 6spd. Access Cab
    Welp I got around to doing this but the ticking is still there. Started it up with the hood up and listened, I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the valves.

Has anyone ever cleaned their valves?

8. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    I was a Toyota Master tech in the dealer for 8 years and I NEVER adjusted valves on the newer engines as a service. The shim/bucket design is good. There are times where a bucket can become defective and you have to replace it but other then that.

The only time I adjusted them was when I was doing heavy engine work. Even then, they are VERY difficult to adjust. It is a time consuming process and it's not recommened at ANY service interval.

9. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    rip off on the fuel system cleaner. I've used seafoam for years w/ no problems. Throw some in the tank, and vac. line before an oil change.

10. Jun 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Slightly noisy valves are happy valves. What you have to worry about is valves that make no noise, those are too tight and can burn due to insufficient contact with the valve seats and too much heat.

It's a completely different engine, but on my old 22r, the valves were always tighter when I went to adjust them, not looser. I feel like I should have the valves on my v6 checked, but Toyota only recommends an audible check, not actually pulling the valve covers. My independent Toyota mechanic has told me that they don't need to be checked until well over 100k. He says they almost never are out of adjustment unless the engine has previously had a valve job.

I would be asking them how they determined an adjustment is necessary. If they point to the maintenance schedule, I would point out to them that Toyota is asking that they listen to the valves, not physically check them. If they can hear something wrong, then it's time to pull the covers and check. I have no clue how they are going to hear one tight valve among the 24 valves on this engine. Also, the labor to check the clearances should be much less than what the book calls for to adjust all the valves.

You should be asking for a detailed description of what they think is wrong before they go taking things apart.

11. Jul 29, 2010 at 4:52 AM
    SLCompulsion

SLCompulsion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vienna VA
    Vehicle:
    shopping
    Dang it! This thread has just scared me off buying a new 2010 DC LB. I was all set to buy. Now I'm looking at a Frontier. I drive my vehicles to the ground. Current Trooper has 1995 193K and is still going Ok and I've not spent more than $1K over it's life at any shop on maintenance or repair. I've done all that myself including timing belts etc. (Only paid to swap out a starter motor which was hard as hell to reach and behind a busted SS exhaust Y pipe that I needed to replace. So the repair of the starter got the bolts free so I could replace the Y pipe hehe).

The thought that I might have to do a valve clearance job on this engine is a show stopper. Especially since that Toyota service centers I called for quotes gave me $$s from $1,500 to $4k!!!

The 1GE looks like its only been in use since 2003? Hows it going to be doing at 200K and the year 2025?

Anyone have that type of mixed use mileage on there Tacoma / 1GE?

Thanks.
    Mike - frustrated to my limit.

PS: 1st post and long lurker of the tacomaworld forum - FAR and AWAY the best forum on ANY vehicle I've every found and a very large part of why I think I like the Tacoma over the Frontier.

12. Jul 29, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    Jcook54

Jcook54 Damn. Just damn.

Member:
    Stn.Mtn, GA
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5 V6
    TBD
    I just bought a 2010 DC SB and wouldn't take any dealer recomendation to heart. Get the Taco, you'll be happy that you did. The "thought" of doing a valve clearance job certainly isn't pleasant but everything I've read point to it not being a real problem. Hell, I've got 480 mile on my truck and it wouldn't suprise me if the dealer thought I needed brakes. That's pretty much what the told my Wife about her RAV4 without checking the odometer.

13. Jul 29, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I actually found using a Mobil 1 oil filter and 5w-20 penzoil ultra quieted the tick down. Went back to oem filter and 5w-30 penzoil ultra and the tick is louder. Strange. The m1 filter seems shorter than the own if that matters

14. Jul 29, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    My BS meter just pegged on the valves at least...

I remember reading the process for adjusting valves on the V6 in the service manual. To put shims in you have to disassemble most of the engine top end (take out the cams) to do it. Cost would be WAY over $470 unless they really plan to CHECK the clearance and then come back for another go at your wallet.

If the valve train isn't noisy and running fine, don't do it.

15. Jul 29, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    You do check clearance without removing the cams...just take the valve covers off and align the cams using sprocket and crank shaft marks.

But ADJUSTING them involves removing the cams and replacing shims. Just reviewed the process in the repair manual!

16. Jul 29, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Regular oil and filter changes alond with quality air filter changes will keep problems with cam-lobe and bucket wear to a minimum.
    Crappy air filter will let junk in and infrequent oil/filter changes will allow those contaminats to accelerate wear.
    No need to be scared off of the toyotas because of the type of valve adjustments. Regular maintenance will keep them running to 250k easy. They're more reliable and longer lasting than Chevy's 350, and that"s a good engine.

17. Jul 29, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Regular oil and filter changes alond with quality air filter changes will keep problems with cam-lobe and bucket wear to a minimum.
    Crappy air filter will let junk in and infrequent oil/filter changes will allow those contaminats to accelerate wear.
    No need to be scared off of the toyotas because of the type of valve adjustments. Regular maintenance will keep them running to 250k easy. They're more reliable and longer lasting than Chevy's 350, and that's a good engine.

18. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

The Nissan is no different, in that it uses a similar valve train design. The 1GR is engineered to go at least 250,000 miles before requireing any major work.

19. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    x2 on the nissan, my xterra makes a little noise. but its reliable as hell.

As far as the fuel treatment I would not touch anything other than Lucas. Go to autozone or any auto parts store and buy 1 gallon, every oil change give your taco a dose and call it a day. you might do one dose every other tank for a month at first. I would also take her out for a long drive on the weekend and get on it to burn up some of the carbon build up in the engine.

Don't trust any fuel treatment that has alcohol in it. The alcohol will dry up all of your rubber seals in your fuel components. Buy the lucas or any non alcohol based fuel system treatment.

just my .02

20. Jul 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Most all gasolines in North America now have up to 15% ethanol as a fuel supplement to make the cumbustion process 'cleaner'.

Ethanol is alcohol.

Products Discussed in

To Top