1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Venting cab into bed area?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ubugarrity, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Jan 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    ubugarrity

ubugarrity [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    What do you think of this idea. I have a tonneau cover on the bed and it gets a little moist in there. I also keep my fire gear in there and it gets cold. I noticed there is a vent on the back of the cab on passenger side. If you have the air on high I noticed the air comes out of that vent at a pretty good rate. If I cut a vent in the bed in line and then filled in the gap (maybe make an oval out of rubber hose) would it make any effect in the bed? You think after an hour trip it would warm it up or dry it out any? Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

2. Jan 29, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i use my snowboot warmers in the inverter in the back...so when i get to the mtn.. they are all toasty

3. Jan 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    I wouldn't recommend cutting a hole in your truck, that is just my 2 cents... If/when you go to resell you truck, I don't think they are going to appreciate your custom mod... I personally don't have a cover (wish I did), but I use a gear bag... Never have to worry about moisture, and all my stuff is in one place... Makes it nice when I am detailed out to one of the 40 stations in my department.... It can even rain on the bag, and my stuff usually stays dry. Highway no problem, as most rain never even hits the bed.... As far as your stuff being cold, as soon as you get to the station, hang your stuff on the rig... Haven't been to a department yet that doesn't have heating in their engine bay.... Hope this helps!

4. Jan 29, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Just thought of another idea.... Maybe mount a small portable heater to the back somehow (probably easier than just cutting your truck), and turn the inverter on when you are going down the road.... Only issue I would see is your gear sliding around in the back, possibly getting burned by the space heater...

5. Jan 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
  6. Jan 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
  7. Jan 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    ubugarrity

ubugarrity [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    I like that boat dryer! If not for my bed, for my boats. My idea was just to cut 2-2" round holes and pop in two round vents that they sell for boats. They are black and you wouldn't even notice them in the front wall of the truck in line with the cab vent. Then make an oval out of rubber hose the size of the vent and slip it in between the cab and bed. It just seem like a waste for all that heated or cooled air to just go out. Turn your fan up all the way and feel how much is coming out of that vent. Anyway If I can find those vents ( I know I have them somewhere) I might just try it.

8. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    If you put your fan on high to force heat into the bed it would get too hot in the cab.It would take hours to make any difference,if any in the bed IMO.

9. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:19 AM
    jocruz

jocruz Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 LB MGM TRD Sport
    it wouldnt make a difference, there's enough gap around the tailgate seam that all that hot air would escape anyways. Unless you seal it up. i noticed it during the winter with my cover, snow still gets around the tailgate.

Products Discussed in

To Top