1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Verizon Phones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nd, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Apr 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    yeah, thats way more believable. they need to figure out the next big power solution. i wont be happy till a phone can last a week without a charge. i mean, cold fusion cant be that hard to figure out and fit in a cell phone can it?

from what i can tell, other phones are as fast if not faster than the iphone right out of the box, but they seem to get bogged down which apple doesn't have as much of a problem with. i like the open dev system because you can get around stupid provider restrictions like the wifi hotspot and tethering. i payed a one time fee for pdanet and i never have to pay for tethering now. form what i can tell its harder to do that kind of stuff on an iphone, unless you jailbreak it, which voids the warranty. thats another thing, apple hates the idea of people doing whatever they want and so they penalize you if you do. i'm seriously considering the iphone, but it looks like the incredible 2 comes out on thursday, which may be worth waiting for. dunno. i'd hate go phoneless until thursday then end up with the iphone anyway. hey, does your iphone have a good nav system? thats a deal breaker since i use my phone as a gps all the time.

i've been on and off here on TW. combination of being busy and not wanting to deal with all the bickering new members. as for the incredible, i think i'm gonna wait till thursday, then go compare it to the iphone. i have no idea which one i'll end up with.

2. Apr 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i've asked 3 times now about the iphone as gps but cant get an answer. yes? no? also, nobody will answer about apps that tether or hotspot without having to pay verizon. these are big things i look for in a phone.

besides, i'm your mentor, you should be ditching your iphone for an old droid to be more like me. tell you what. you send me your iphone, i'll send you my droid

3. Apr 24, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    Droid x is great and there is an upgradable battery from motorola at the verizon store for $50. I use it a lot and now have no problem going the full day and still having at least 40% by the late evening when I go to bed. I'm on it a lot, mostly online. It gets the job done for me. Get another phone with more options and you also get less battery life...oh yeah, screw iphone.

4. Apr 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    hte X is too big to carry around. i am not liking all these massive screened phones. for me it looks like it will boil down to the incred 2 or teh iphone. its up in the air at the moment. but the idea of giving more of my money to that turtle necked douche really bothers me. of course, i know alot of people still using there old iphone 3g and still love it. i dont know anyone with a 2 year old android phone that is still worth a damn.

5. Apr 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    still love my motodroid 1

6. Apr 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    next phone you get......run a free app called "green power free". i have it on my incredible....and it has made a huge difference in my battery life.

the incredible is a nice phone....but the thunderbolt is plain badass....and it works fine on 3g. buddy at work has it, and ive messed with it a few times, and that sumbitch is effin fast dude.

7. Apr 24, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    guy i work with has teh sprint evo, which is almost identical to teh TB. he always has it connected to a charger and its still almost always around a 30% charge. its actually a pretty big problem since he uses it as his work phone. he's been scolded many times about letting it die. if i watched movies id wanta screen that big, but i just want something decent that fits in my pocket. i'll have to look into that app though

8. Apr 24, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What about the LG Vortex?

9. Apr 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    My wife has the vortex and it's a lot smaller than the droid x and almost a capable. I think its a great phone too.

10. Apr 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Yeah, Ive been using the Vortex for a while now, and am quite pleased. Battery life is good, and I like the size.

11. Apr 24, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I wonder if the iPhone 5 will be 4G? I believe the 4G network will allow calling and surfing at the same time. I could be wrong, but I believe the Thunderbolt has that function.

12. Apr 24, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    I have the TB, and I get free tethering until May. After that, I'm going to root it, so I can wiFi tether for free via tethering app(rooted only)

Yes, the TB can voice/data at the same time on either 4G or 3G. The only phone on Verizon that can atm.

13. Apr 24, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    If you root an android phone you can do damn near anything with it... I actually just rooted my droid x today. Its super easy now, they have it condensed into just an app. I rooted my original droid the manual way, much more involved.

You probably could do wonders for yourself by doing a factory reset on your droid... crap just tends to build up in the memory like old apps, pictures, texts, etc. I'd recommend that if it were still alive :p

I hate apple too. I hate "uncle steve" with his fucking lower case "i"s dictating everything you can and cant do. Please don't get an iphone

14. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    looking it up now....

for tethering, i use PDAnet on my droid (or i did). its $15 but its a one time fee. i plug it into my comp (mac or pc) hit the button, and i have internet on my computer anywhere i have a cell signal. no monthly charge. most importatly, verizon doesn't get a monthly fee for something my phone was designed to do. its a great app. i dont mind paying for it for the iphone, but i have no idea if hte iphone has anything like that since their app market is so much more restrictive

it bothers me i have to pay for the app. its free on android phones and uses google maps and updates traffic and detours and all that fun shit FOR FREE!!!! thats why i dont want apple. if they can charge you for it they will. the gps in my droid is just as good as a tom tom or garmin. its accurate and moves in real time. if apple cant do that i dont want an iphone.

i tried all kinds of stuff. i deleted unused apps. moved apps to my SD card. updated the firmware (or whatever it does when you do a remote update) and it just kept getting slower. i had alot of apps that i couldn't delete though (google apps are next to impossible to remove on a google phone). trust me, i dont want to migrate to an iphone but i also dont want to pay $200 for a phone i'll be sick of after a year. why cant technology just work like it is suppose to?

15. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    btw, i actually considered not getting another smart phone. at first i kinda liked not having to respond to emails, chats, texts, phone calls etc... then i realized just how dependent i was on my phone. i use it for an alarm clock, a grocery list, random work documents, and a shit load of other random things that i keep forgetting about until i reach for my non working phone. oh and i'd love to call a few select people to let them know i dont have a phone, but i have no idea what their damn phone numbers are. its retarded how dependent we get on technology. i dont even know my home phone or my wifes phone number.

16. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you looked into the Samsung Fascinate? Thats what ive got. Lots of great roms and themes for it too.

17. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    PM me for your Wifes number.....

18. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    shit. walked straight in to that one...

NO! bad apprentice! BAD APPRENTICE! if you were here i'd smack you in the snout with a rolled up magazine.

19. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    dick :p

20. Apr 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    you use poop as lube?

Products Discussed in

To Top