1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Very low speed shudder in drive but not reverse

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jimmyfix, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Nov 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    jimmyfix

jimmyfix [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4x4 TRD V6
    I have a 99 V6 4x4 TRD Automatic and at very low speed ie in a parking lot or when just starting out slowly I get a shudder. It doesn't happen if I accelerate more quickly. I can sit still with my foot on the brake and press the gas and get the same thing. If I shift into reverse hold the brake and press the gas it is smooth as silk. I have replaced the tranny filter and flushed all the fluid with Dexron III. It shifts very well through all the gears both up and down. It is just the first couple of seconds from stand still.

Any ideas?

2. Nov 13, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    make sure all the bearings and driveshaft are greased up - my '99 would lurch when i was trying to stop/slow down. greased everything up about a month ago and things have been fine since.

not sure if that will solve your problem but its a cheap and easy fix to try.

3. Nov 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    jimmyfix

jimmyfix [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4x4 TRD V6
    Just as a reminder, The problem can be produced when the truck is not moving. However, I have replaced all engine and tranny mounts, replaced the center support bearing on the drive shaft. I have replaced the plugs but not the wires or coils. The fact that it is smooth in reverse seems to point away from an ignition problem though. I don't know though, does the computer do something different with the firing in reverse? If so, why?

Products Discussed in

To Top