1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Very Rough Ride, Normal?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jjsask, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    jjsask

jjsask [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    I have a 2002 Tacoma XtraCab TRD and the ride is very harsh, especially over washboard roads and small bumps. I replaced the rear stock Toyota Bilstein shocks with Bilstein HD shocks. One of the stock shocks was totally shot but one seemed ok, but the new shocks did not seem to change much. I have not yet replaced the front shocks.

It is absolutely brutal driving on washboard gravel or a rough road, its hard to keep from fishtailing all over the place and everything in the truck rattles like crazy. Is this just the way these trucks are or is something wrong with mine?

2. Oct 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Remove some air from the tires... go to 20 psi on the washboard.

However, I will say that my '01 xtra cab was awesome on washboards with the TRD Bilstein (yellow) shocks... I never de-aired, but I did put it in 4WD and the truck handled much, much better at speed on graded roads... straightened right out.

[​IMG]

3. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    I would recommend putting in the 3 leaf aal, and running some 5100s or OME shocks.

4. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Rugged Ridge 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    How many miles on the truck? If you are still on the stock springs, that is likely at the core of the problem.

Do your rear leaf springs have a negative arch to them? Adding an Add A Leaf kit may help depending on the condition of the springs. If the springs have a negative arch though, it may be too late for an AAL.

Use the search function on this site. You'll find a lot of information on this topic.

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    jjsask

jjsask [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    I have 140,000 kms (87,000 miles) on the truck. The springs are almost flat in the back, they are not yet inverted the arch. Is getting the springs re-arched a good idea, and if so does anyone have the stock spring specs for a 2002 TRD xtracab?

6. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed
    My 98 was riding terrible on rough roads but I had to wait to get my 5100's before doing anything. Turns out I had a broken leaf on one side. 5100's all around with fromt ones set at middle position and rear springs re-arched with one extra leaf added and it is much improved. Still not as good as my 68 Buick Electra was though.

To Top