1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Veteran plate?

Discussion in 'Military' started by CaptainAwesome, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Oct 20, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Thanks for you and your friends service! I try to tell anyone thats proud enough to say or who wears a hat that shows they've served a thank you! My 20yrs always seems insignificant to veterans that served in Vientnam, Korea and WWII.

jeff b and SC2SC like this.
  2. Oct 20, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    ABNFDC

ABNFDC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Granite State
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD Access Cab TRD OR "Rugged Trail"
    265/75/16 Wildpeaks, Dakar rear, HS 2.5" front coils
    I have seen plenty waive around IDs with an I'm entitled to X for my "service" attitude. Here is whatever document to prove it.

Since PCSing, I have about 10 transactions with Lowes in the last 30 days where I have taken the offered discount.

3. Oct 20, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    The "I'm entitled" part is what ticks everyone off.

wilcam47, SC2SC and Extra Hard Taco like this.
  4. Oct 20, 2017 at 9:10 PM
    Geeder48

Geeder48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Hefty Fab Rock Sliders
    I think that the Colorado Army tags look darn good on the Inferno. I've never really seen that they get me any unwanted attention, good or bad. There are so many Army, Air Force, DV, etc plates here in the Front Range that no one really notices. I had Army plates in Florida as well, both times I got them because they matched my car better than the regular state plates. Not looking for special attention, just looking to personalize my vehicle. But lets be honest, I drive an Inferno TRD OR, I'm not afraid to shy away from a little extra attention.

Plus to me the Army plates on the truck, the little veterans/ army stamp on my license, all of that is no different than the little Army logo on my profile for TW. I don't put it out there for civilians to come up and thank me for my service, in fact it always feels awkward when they do, I put it out there as a beacon to my brothers in arms so they know we share that comraderie and we can talk about those things. In fact today at the end of my day working at a local high school I was able to stand around and reminisce with two other brothers, one a Marine, one a Sailor, all three of us served in different branches and different eras, but we still reveled in each other's stories. To me that's what its about, but its a decision each of us makes for them self.

IMG_0784.jpg

KRAMERICA, wilcam47, jeff b and 2 others like this.
  5. Oct 21, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    Whitetrash

Whitetrash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    San Diego CA and Enon OH
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunner Regular Cab SR5
    Wheeler's AAL, 5100s at 1.75, 265/75r16
    Agreed!!!

6. Oct 21, 2017 at 6:33 AM
    tacobaker

tacobaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cary
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD
    As a old Marine Vietnam Vet who is tired in general and does not always play well with others. I feel that it is my responsibility to identify myself to folks that might want to act foolishly towards an old man. Nothing outlandish, just a trim around my rear plate. And as far as discounts go, thankyou Home Depot and Lowes. I have built my own home twice in life.

get_nick, KRAMERICA, wilcam47 and 3 others like this.
  7. Oct 21, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    Ranger Dave

Ranger Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cross FLOT
    Vehicle:
    2015 White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Fold a cover, Spacers, Scan Guage II, Weather Tech Vents, All weather floot mats, mod sideview towing mirrors, tow package, mod differential. LED back up lights, Flyzeye console/glove compartment lights, heavy duty farm seat covers, TSC bed mat.
    Knowing there is a vast age difference on TW, I enlisted in the Army during Vietnam and served for 21 years retiring from Active Duty in 93. I have been spit on for wearing my uniform at the SFO airport. Sadly, I remember the country's hatred for those that served. It was this way until Desert Storm. The Vietnam Era Veterans were determined not to allow the younger generation to be treated as they were on their return home. VFW, DAV, American Legion volunteers manned airports to welcome folks home. Paasengers in uniform were applauded on commercial airlines. The mega entities such as Lowes and others started to recognize ALL veterans active, retired, and combat with discounts. In short America reached out to those who served as they reached out to the greatest generation when they returned home from WWII. For those of us that served, we acknowledge that nothing is entitled, but it sure is nice to have the discounts offered. I personally am so proud of my service. I proudly display my retired tags on my truck as well as my decals. I am humbled and always thank those that extend military discounts. I also will pick up the tab at restaurants for those I see wearing WWII or Korean War ballcaps. Thank you Lowes, Advanced Auto, and others for your generosity. God bless all that served. God bless America.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Cokid, Beaner Taco, Manfred and 10 others like this.
  8. Oct 21, 2017 at 6:53 AM
    tacobaker

tacobaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cary
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD
    Dave I can relate. It wasn't until the 90's when us Nam Vets started welcoming each other home that I even acknowledged that I served.

jeff b, SC2SC and Ranger Dave like this.
  9. Oct 21, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    SC2SC

SC2SC Likes Pineapple on Pizza

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    South of Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4X4
    Icon Custom Build Custom Exhaust • SOS Sliders• RokBlokz
    I do not want to de-rail this thread, but a note about the VA health system, (there is a better way!):

Agree on all points, with an enhancement to the VA system. I am in Medical Device sales/ mgmt now. Many VA facilities are well below standards of any nearby hospital. Many surgical procedures are archaic compared to methods used in many nearby hospitals; higher infection and mortality rates too. As a veteran myself, this really gets under my skin.

I feel ALL vets with VA benefits should be able to go ANYWHERE for medical treatment- and be 100% covered. No hassles.

10. Oct 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM
    wilcam47

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Tucker Carlson slammed someone like that last night.

geo8866, SC2SC and jeff b[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Oct 23, 2017 at 5:01 AM
    get_nick

get_nick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Limited
    Gun shops are an easy one. I think 90% (if not more) of the shops i've been in offer an active duty or veteran discount.

GPC and wilcam47 like this.
  12. Oct 23, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    GPC

GPC Well-Known Member

Member:
    LFOD
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Pro
    My town gives $500 off property tax for being a Veteran and a small discount on a few other things.
    I use my 214 to prove service and VA ID to prove I'm disabled.

Lot of posers out there.

wilcam47 likes this.
  13. Apr 4, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    gnarlypineapple

gnarlypineapple New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma
    I know a bunch of reservist that have never deployed or been on active that have them and I feel like that may be toeing the line along a grey area

14. Apr 4, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    KRAMERICA

KRAMERICA Old Man Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Middle Tenn
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black DC TRD-OR
    3" Lift w/ICON 2.5 Coils, ALCAN LP W/Sumo springs & FOX 2.0, CBI MOAB 2.0 Front Bumper w/Smittybilt X2O winch, CBI Rock Sliders, Mobtown Reinforced Steel Skids & Bed Bars, FabFour rear bumper, on 315 STT PRO's, + some Iggy lighting
    That would depend on what kinda plate it is. If there are benifits that come along with the plate, then it probably isn't right for them have it. Though if the plate just denotes a branch of service, then I would not have an issue with that. Even traditional Reservists serve. It takes a significant comitment to join the military, Active or Reserve. Everyone goes through the same basic and pipeline training, after that the commitments are different. But the bennifits recieved are also different.

geo8866, wilcam47 and jeff b like this.
  15. Apr 4, 2018 at 7:20 AM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    Does Alberta allow you to put a "Veteran Designation" on your driver's license? I live in Pennsylvania, my dad was in the Navy for 25 years, and in Pennsylvania all veterans have the option of getting this American flag thing on their license.

16. Apr 4, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    medic7556

medic7556 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM Tacoma SR5 4x4 DCSB
    I have a Georgia Certified Firefighter tag, it helps get me out of tickets.

KRAMERICA likes this.
  17. Apr 4, 2018 at 7:33 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    My state has strict guidelines for getting campaign plates. They have a Veteran V plate for anyone who served honorably. They have specific campaign plates that require a DD214 to support issue. They have POW and PH plates. I have several reservists/Guard brothers & sisters in Arms who have multiple deployments. I've seen fakes in both Active & Reserve. Personally I don't need a plate nor want a plate to practice OPSEC. I don't even put the designation in my DL. I know and the people I care about knows and DOD DFAS retirement knows. That's what matters to me. Karma will catch the fakes in due time.

Cokid, PennSilverTaco and KRAMERICA like this.
  18. Jul 18, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    GWinstead

GWinstead Well-Known Member

Member:
    I can get a Vietnam vet plate here in Michigan, but I've never felt the need to advertise it. My year there was a lousy 1/67th of my life, hardly worth mentioning. I'm not into veteran discounts either. My personal choice and I respect any of you that feel differently.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Extra Hard Taco and SC2SC like this.
  19. Jul 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM
    GWinstead

GWinstead Well-Known Member

Member:

I don't like slamming another VN vet, but no. No on the spitting. It's been debunked plenty of times. There's never been enough spit spat to land on every veteran who claims to be spat upon. It's way past time to end this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

20. Jul 21, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    wilcam47

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Im sure it happened more than its said...and even one is too many...Who are you to debunk what he says happened to him? Sure not everyone was spit on but you cant say it didnt happen.

KRAMERICA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top