1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Viair 88P hose upgrade

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Gutentight, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Nov 8, 2020 at 7:03 PM
    Gutentight

Gutentight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Off-Road 4x4 DCSB 3.5L AT
    A few weeks TW stalker, first time poster. Actually I don't even have a truck.. or an expected delivery date yet. So thought I would start off with a quick upgrade I did on gear I already have. The Viair 88P seems like a solid little compressor, except my gauge floats at 10 psi instead of reading 0 after a few years. The only real issue though, even on my SUV it was a PIA to reach the rear tire. Surprisingly I didn't stumble across much complaining about that, but I will share my quick upgrade.

FYI the pump and 25' hose still fit nicely along with a few short bungee cords in the Rothco mechanic tool bag I keep it in.
    - Viair 88P
    - Flexzilla Pro air hose 1/4" x25' (I got the Pro so the cutoff end fitting is reusable)

Opening the case is not bad, but you need a reasonably long instrument screw driver to get those 2 little devils on either side of the gauge out. Requires a lot of down force to not strip the head, everything else goes fine.

I wasted time trying to slide the spring coil off the hose. Spoiler it won't. Just attack the hose with a wire cutter right next to the coil on the fitting side. Don't go so deep as to mess up the plastic, but once that little end is trimmed then the hose can be pulled off.

I wanted to keep the factory spring coil since it seems to hold really well and it is cleaner than a hose clamp. Surprisingly it slides onto the new hose easily enough.. then you have to slide it up the fitting. From removing to reinstalling that spring coil took me about 30min to not break things. A channellock pliers ended up doing it by inching along side to side using the plastic fitting to squeeze the coil up. I am good with the results and it seems solidly attached.

Side note, wish I had got the 50' hose to start off so I had more to play with since I plan to get a little 4 port manifold and do a 2 tire connection similar to what I saw here.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/shellshocks-diy-inflator-deflator.613122/

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

2. Nov 8, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice first post. Welcome to TW.

3. Nov 8, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Fresno County
    Stock
    Badass

I'm sure plenty of people will find this useful :thumbsup:

What's that little 88P used for normally?

4. Nov 11, 2020 at 4:40 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    My air gauge on my 88p is off by 10psi, so I always use a regular air gauge.

5. Nov 11, 2020 at 5:14 AM
    Tacoma1845

Tacoma1845 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB (Inferno- Premium/Tech)
    Yeah, the gauge on mine is off also.

6. Nov 11, 2020 at 5:21 AM
    Interbeing

Interbeing A Canadian living in Texas

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB AT
    TRD Pro suspension with Headstrong 3 Leaf AAL, DV8 OR front slimline bumper & Engine Skid Plate, RCI OR high clearance bumper, CaliRaised Trail Edition Sliders, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, 265/75 16 GY Duratracs, wrapped the OEM wheels, OR Roof Rack, Extang Exceed Hard top Tri fold tonneau.
    Great modification! Thanks for sharing!

7. Nov 11, 2020 at 7:15 PM
    Gutentight

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    I have mostly used it for topping off 2 cars when the weather turns colder for 2 years. So it's not that old but looks to be a cheap 1/8" gauge. Since I plan to plug into a manifold I will just put a gauge on that.

8. Nov 16, 2020 at 10:39 PM
    kevinlambchops

kevinlambchops Well-Known Member

Member:
    solid write up. I'm trying to figure out a way to add a quick disconnect to mine so I can just mount the compressor somewhere and hardwire it to my truck. That way I won't have to pull it out of the bag everytime to use it. Just flip a switch and plug a hose in.

9. Nov 17, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    Gutentight

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    That is basically like my plan as I pull together the parts. Currently still easily fits into Rothco mechanic bag, but I want to mount it and just coil the hose with it. I should get the parts to setup a little manifold for 2 wheels at a time in the next week so I will update once that happens.

Most air hoses seem to be 1/4" hose, take a look at the flexzilla pro fittings that just screw on a cut end if you want a nice 1/4" fitting for doing something like QD.

10. Sep 23, 2021 at 2:52 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Does the water separator seem to be necessary when you're airing up tires?

11. Feb 27, 2023 at 8:31 PM
    Tacodrew22

Tacodrew22 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Trd-off-road
    2 inch trd lift kit
    Are the inside hose diameter the same and the flexzilla is just that much beefier on the outside?

Products Discussed in

To Top