1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration after front-only lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by improvement54, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    improvement54

improvement54 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's on all corners, height adjustable 5100's on the front, light bar, IPF lights...plenty of other stuff too.
    I apologize for adding another damn vibration thread, but after 4 hours of searching, I just couldn't find anything that matched my situation.

I have a 2007 Access Cab 4x4 TRD Sport with 46k miles and all stock until I installed Bilstein 5100 adjustables up front set on 2.5" lift. I also installed Bilstein 5100's in the rear, but no additional lift. I have not had the rear spring TSB done. Now I have a vibration that starts at exactly 30 mph and increases in speed well above 80 mph. It does not change other than speed. I have not had it aligned yet and the tires are the OEM originals that are nearly shot. They get replaced next week with new rims.

The weird thing is, when I take it up above 30 mph so the vibration starts and then slow down to a stop, the vibration remains until I stop. When I take off again, it is gone until I hit 30 mph again. Also, putting the truck in 4WD eliminates the vibration.

Could this be the alignment, the tires, or the CV joints? I'm afraid to have it aligned if I find out that I just need to lower the shocks one level and get it realigned to fix it.

Any ideas?

2. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Allignment won't have anything to do with vibrations.

It could be your front axle shafts/CV joints. There's a modification that'll help fix that assuming that's what the problem is.

Do some research..... search for 'front differential drop'

3. Sep 12, 2010 at 1:26 AM
    sanga700

sanga700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Red Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 6sp
    TRD intake Airbox,4 corners 5100 front set @ 2.5".Rear TSB,1.5" Toytec AAL,skid plate.running board, EGR in channel sun visors,Valetine one radar detector, 17x8.5 Black MB Wheels. 265/70/17 Handkook Dynapro ATM
    I set mine at 2.5" and TSB and 1" block for rear , I have no vibrations at any speeds at all . Truck also drove straight .
    Do you have vibration when you put the lift on ? Try to rebalance your tires and see .

4. Sep 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    I am going to guess and say its your nearly "shot" tires !

5. Sep 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I woudl double check to see that everything is torqued down properly. Some stuff might have shifted once you took the truck off the jack. That's probably not it, because you stated putting the truck into 4wd, but it's worth checking.

6. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    improvement54

improvement54 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's on all corners, height adjustable 5100's on the front, light bar, IPF lights...plenty of other stuff too.
    Yea, the noise going away when I put it in 4wd really threw me for a loop. I had no vibrations before I installed the lift. I'll research more and see what I can find.

7. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    MAtrdguy

MAtrdguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Western Ma ( on the lake) / Danvers N Shore
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco DC LB
    None YET
    have the same issue...I too have searched several forums and cant find definitive answer. I had CB drop, on and off same thing.

My vibe was less w/o the diff drop, so I cant figure it out....

Products Discussed in

To Top