1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration at 60 MPH???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GeoTaco1, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Feb 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    But would Toyota cover this charge? Do I have to get pre-authorization?

I am curious to see the results of the post just above, as his dealer is working to fix this!

2. Mar 10, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    GeoTaco1

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    I think this is a common issue but the dealer just says it is normal!:mad:

What can we do to eliminate the annoying grinding sound? My wife drives a Jeep and she jokes to me that my brand new Toyota is a loud metal grinder:( :eek:

3. Mar 10, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    HottyToddy

HottyToddy Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    Well I guess I will chime in on this subject.. I bought my 09 new and noticed the vibration immediately after driving off the lot... To be honest after driving this truck for over a year now I have become used to it. I never thought much about it, but obviously I'm not the only one who experiences this strange vibration.. "drivers side, under the seat, gas pedal, not in the steering wheel"... all of the above. Personally I believe that this occurs due to vibrations from the wind passing through the undercarriage while traveling at those rates of speed.... I only seem to notice it while traveling on the highways. Call me crazy but that's the only guess I have.

4. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    I had my ATV in the bed today and drove 2 hours both directions. I mostly drive 75 but there were a couple times I had to drop to 60-65 for a while and I have to say it was much worse while carrying a load. I do not have the leaf spring TSB and do not plan on getting it but I'm wondering how many people here have the TSB and are having the vibration.
    What I'm getting at is drive shaft angle... does it change anything. Because of my 900-1000 LBS load today, I was sagging a couple inches (and never bottomed out) so I can't say which one was effecting the vibration.

5. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    GeoTaco1

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I am going to re visit it at my first 3K mile service call. I am going to drive it this time, because when the mechanic drove it he must hav elet off the gas pedal so it was not noticable.:(

I have another 1K to go.....................

6. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    antatich

antatich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    Ready lift SST w/ 2 inch blocks, 33x12.50R17 Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, 1.25" Billet Spacers, Tinted Windows, DDM tuning HID Headlights and Foglights, N-Fab Side Bars, N-Fab Light Bar, 4 Hella 500FF, JL Amp, 12" shallow Mount Sub
    I bought a 2011 DC auto TRD Sport and have the same issue since I drove it off the lot. I have since put a Readylift SST lift with 2 inch blocks in the rear and the drop differential kit. The vibs moved down to 20-25 and 50-55. I got the drop carrier bracket and they stayed at 20-25 but then I got the hum at 65-70. I guess what I am getting at is the vibs to me stayed the same stock as with the slight lift and nothing so far seems to help. My family owns a shop and I write service. I have had all my techs look at it and say that the driveshaft has issues with the carrier bearing. I have tried repositioning the carrier bearing in the slots it has and that hasn't help either. Also everyone thats saying this is tire noise or wind noise that is absolutely not the case. You can feel this on a 4 post rack with the suspension loaded and the tires off the ground driving the truck. The carrier shows a lot of flex at the speeds the vibrations show. I have no idea what Toyota could do to correct this nor is there an aftermarket correction for this. I have all the tools and have time if anybody has any suggestions I'm willing to try it here first but there has got to be someone that knows something that we all are missing to fix this annoying minor issue!

7. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Have you looked at Beefed Taco's CB drops ?

8. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    antatich

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    Ready lift SST w/ 2 inch blocks, 33x12.50R17 Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, 1.25" Billet Spacers, Tinted Windows, DDM tuning HID Headlights and Foglights, N-Fab Side Bars, N-Fab Light Bar, 4 Hella 500FF, JL Amp, 12" shallow Mount Sub
    Thats with Beefed CB drop in and its still doing it similar to before I did anything to the truck and drove it off the lot

9. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Intetesting , and disapointing at the same time .

10. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    antatich

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    Yep and its still the same vibration that the truck had when I drove it off the lot. The same vibration the OP and many others are stating!

11. Mar 30, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    antatich

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    Bump. Adjusted the drop carrier again last night. Still heavy vibs at 25 mph on smooth road and 65-70 mph same as when the truck was new and untouched. (I'm not trying to thread jack but I think its weird it did it new and has the same thing after lifting also.) The vibs seem to go away at 80 mph plus.

12. Mar 31, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    antatich

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    The way it was lifted was with the suspension loaded, I have not tried with the hanging yet. I can try that this weekend

13. Apr 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    antatich

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    It does still do it with suspension completely hanging off the ground, so that tells me its def drivetrain somewhere which I think we all knew

14. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    antatich

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    Yeah I pretty much only feel it in the pedal and floor also. I'm wondering if I go in they will probably give me hell for the lifted stuff but they know me well and know we have a shop so they might listen. Let me know what they tell you!

15. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Isn't it interesting that when you buy the truck brand new the Dealer specifically tells you "If you have any trouble with the tires don't come here, go to the tire manufacturer"

I would look very closely at the OE tires that were installed. The tire manufacturers "may" install 2nd's to get them out their door and if there IS any problem (shifting steel belts, etc) YOU the customer are ultimately resposible to do something about it or not.

I BET it's the tires causing any vibration.

Steve

16. Apr 6, 2011 at 5:37 AM
    antatich

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    It's not tires 3 ASE certified technicians said its sometype of drivetrain and I would agree with this. It does occur on a hoist with no tires on the ground and it occurs with the suspension loaded and unloaded and to further go against the tire theory I am now on my third set of tires and the same noise is still there. I started with the 265/65R17 with noise, then a 265/70R17 still noise, and now a 33x12.50R17 and still noise.

17. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    99ways2die

99ways2die Member

Member:
    Interesting note:
    My Taco had a slight vibe b/w 50 and 65MPH. Like many of you I had the tires reballanced and rechecked a few times. Sometimes it seemed to go away, but I think it was just in my mind, as it always came back.

Today I completed the following:
    Front: Billies set to 1.75, and the silly 1/4 inch Toytec spacer on driver's side.
    Rear: Billies, Icon progressive 1.5" AALs with OEM overload spring in place.
    Tires: 265/70/17 Duratracks (Front:34PSI: rear:32PSI)

Point of this post?
    All/any previous vibration...............gone.
    Make sense this does not, but I won't agrue....or complain.

'nyway, w/o reading the entire post I figured I'd give you some info (even if this is only an isolated/strange case).

PS:
    LoL @ post no.2 (in 2 years)
    :p

18. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooo

19. May 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    Rayski196

Rayski196 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Zimmerman, MN
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Hello. I'm new to TW. I have spent a couple of hours reading as many threads as possible about this noise/vibration. I have a 2005 DC Prerunner (stock, except for synthetic oil in engine and diff). This is my 10th Toyota Truck since 1982. I bought it used last fall. My previous career was an ASE certified auto tech at an Acura dealer.
    I wanted to learn as much as possible about this noise before I dig into it.

I'm wondering if my noise is the same as you guy's noise? Mine starts "groaning" at 62mph to at least 72mph. I haven't read anybody's noise do this: Set cruise at 65mph, go through a moderate curve to the left - noise COMPLETELY disappears, curve to the right or straight ahead - noise continues. Take it up to 70mph, put in neutral, turn off engine - noise continues (except when turning left again).

From reading all the posts, it seems it doesn't matter if its a Prerunner or a 4X4, auto or a stick, tires touching the ground or not, truck lifted or not, type of tires, different configurations of drive shafts, carrier bearing position, engine on or off, neutral or in gear and wind passing through it or not.

Do we all hear the same "groan"? Will these new clues help solve it? Whats the deal with turning left? It's obvious Toyota isn't going to help (although I think they may know what it is). The only goofy idea I can think of at this point is to remove the driveshaft and have the truck pulled at 70mph with the engine off. It seems like you guys have tried everything else.

20. May 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM
    Pakow

Pakow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Right front wheel bearing?

Products Discussed in

To Top