1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration from start

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by shbop, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Mar 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    shbop

shbop [OP] Member

Member:
    Pacific
    Vehicle:
    08' Tacoma PreRunner
    I can feel a vibration in the steering when starting out from a stop, but only if the wheel is turned one direction or the other. I've checked wheel bearings, and steering components, and am now thinking it might be the drive shaft intermediate bearing. My truck has no other symptoms. I don't feel anything driving at speed or turning. This only happens when I start out from a stop, with the wheel turned. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! This is an 08' Tacoma four door PreRunner. Automatic 2WD.

2. Mar 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Unbolt the Intermediate bearing/Carrier Bearing and flip it over. Tip, mark the bottom side with a marker. Keep a jack stand under the axle and you will have no issue with it falling on you. If nothing changes, or it gets worse, flip it back.

3. Mar 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    shbop

shbop [OP] Member

Member:
    Pacific
    Vehicle:
    08' Tacoma PreRunner
    Thanks for the reply. I had considered the intermediate bearing, and with 90k miles thought perhaps I should just replace it. To replace it: If I unbolt it, will I be able to simply drop the bearing down until the drive shafts separate, or is it neccessary to unbolt the u-bolt by the rear axle?

Products Discussed in

To Top