1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration in wheel / High-pitched whine?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SPCL, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Feb 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    SPCL

SPCL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2020 2.7L 4x4 AC
    Hi y'all. I've got an '05. I recently went and replaced the stock tires (Got 40k miles out of them!) at Pep Boys with some Hankook (This is what the guy recommended, I'd never heard of them and was somewhat skeptical, but I didn't see any Bridgestone or Firestone or anything there) ones. I can't recall what size or whatever, I'm not a big auto guy. I'm getting a very bad vibration in the steering wheel at 60+ mph, and the road noise is different than what I'm used to. It's like a fast-paced whumpwhumpwhump coming from the back, and anytime I get over 30mph I start to hear a high-pitched really fast intermittent (Like dadadadada) whine coming from either the front left or front right (or both?). I don't think the whine is from the transmission or power steering (I know what low power steering sounds like, destroyed a the whole power steering system in a humvee in Iraq), and it doesn't make that sound when I rev it in neutral. I'm pretty sure that Pep Boys didn't balance the tires before they put them on.

I have the warranty for the tires and everything, but I -really- don't want to take it back to these guys to fix (I don't trust them at all now), but I also don't have the money to pay for someone else to balance them. Should I demand my money back for that part of the work, and get it done somewhere else, or should I just let Pep Boys take care of it?

2. Feb 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Go back to Pep Boys, Take the service Mgr. out for a drive and make them fix it or put your old tires back on. Stand up for yourself.

3. Feb 24, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    the tires need to be road force balanced. sounds like a balance problem to me.

4. Feb 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    SPCL

SPCL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2020 2.7L 4x4 AC
    Okay. I took it back to pep boys - And I was right, they didn't balance the tires. That fixed the vibration in the steering wheel, but I'm still getting this whine. I listened to it very closely on the way home, and I'm starting to think it's not related to the tires, and may have been there for a bit (My stereo's constantly on, so I may not have noticed it). I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. It's either the front, or where the driveshaft meets the rear axle. It's first -noticeable- at 30 MPH, like clockwork it'll kick in, and when I accelerate the pitch gets higher (just a little), and the frequency of the whine rises -- When I brake, the pitch drops (just a little), and the frequency slows. I can still hear the whining after it drops under 30mph, down to about 10-15mph. I'm not feeling vibration in the brake pedal when I brake, and I can't tell if there's vibration in the gas pedal, or if it's just the road. :/

Anyone have any ideas? I'm concerned it might be something in the drivetrain or my brake rotors.

Products Discussed in

To Top