1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vibration issue...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Marksgrampa153, Apr 28, 2010.

1. May 20, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    did you have the vibe before adding the cb drop and axle shims? some people experience vibes after lifting and others dont. for some it only takes the cb drop to eliminate the vibes and others its the shims. one or the other know what im sayin. did u install the cb drop and shims at the same time,if so try removing the cb drop and just running the shims or vice versa.hope this helps

2. May 25, 2010 at 3:09 AM
    taco157

taco157 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 D-cab White
    2.5" Lift
    Thanks for the info, i installed the CB drop and the shims at the sametime as my lift so i wouldnt have to go back and do it again.. My truck also makes a droning sound at like 40mph... like its not a steady vibration or noise... sounds like a drone.....?

3. May 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    frankybones

frankybones Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO - CEMENT
    any update on this?I am having the same issue. It started before I lifted the truck got worse when I lifted, then I added the dif drop and not as bad as after lift but still there. Also, any pics of the shims installed?

4. May 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    Shellbak

Shellbak Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    MD
    Vehicle:
    06' 4x4 DC
    Hey guys. Same problem here too. Did the 5100's at 1.75 and airbags set to minimum so theres marginal increase in rear hieght.

The vibes are def in the front with a drone around 35mph. Something feels stressed, maybe around the front axle??

Installed the shims, then the 1/4 carrier drop. It did get better but it still feels rough. Almost at the point where everythings coming off.

5. May 28, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    frankybones

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO - CEMENT
    That doesnt sound to promissing for me. I have the same exact issue. I had the 5100's installed at the highest setting in the front with 1.5 Fabtech AAL in the rear. I installed the carrier drop last week and it made a huge difference off the line and at higher speeds but its still there. I ordered the shims yesterday so Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Shellbak- Have you thought about removing the shims or the drop to see if that helps? Take one or the other off and test and then vice versa? Just a thought.

Good luck and keep me posted.

6. May 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    Shellbak

Shellbak Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    MD
    Vehicle:
    06' 4x4 DC

Originally I had the AAL from Toytec. Boy was that a mistake, because it raised my rear end considerably. I had the rear axle shims installed first, and that really didnt do a damn thing for the rear vibes. I installed the carrier bearing drop next and then helped out just a little. Went back 2 the shop and took the AAL's off. You know how retarded it feels 2 buy something and then decide u dont want it on?? anyway.... That fixed the rear vibrations.

Gonna go out on a limb and say yes there were 2 vibrations I was feeling, Driveline, and Front axle somewhere...because after all the rear play (lol) there was a completly different feeling coming from up front. Which in hinsight makes sense considering how much the driveline angle was affected in the rear. Soooo, to fix the front I plan on installing a "front axle diff drop kit" that 'Jigzor' reccomended. Crossing the fingers, I really need to get this fixed soon. Not only do I get bizarre vibes but I swear the front axle stress causes me to loose some boat pulling power. Good luck!! I'll let u know how it goes in a week or so.

7. May 31, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    raiders

raiders New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    pulled rancho quick lift off installed 5100 @ .085 VIBS GONE!!!

8. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    frankybones

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO - CEMENT
    Im installing this weekend Ill keep you all posted

9. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Did you ever get your front vibe resolved? Just wanted to know whether your vibe at 35mph goes away in 4wd. There's a high incidence of the bearings wearing prematurely in the front differential. Eventually you hear/feel it at stock height, but it becomes immediately noticeable if the angle of the front axles are changed going into the differential (even at .85 setting on the 5100's). If the vibe goes away the second you flip the switch to 4Hi, report back and I'll provide you with more information.

10. Jun 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    303epps

303epps Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRS Off-road
    Bilsteins 5100s (2.5"), 1.5" blocks, total chaos UCAs, Firestone Ride Right, 265/75-16
    Moose,

Am interested in your thoughts. Have the vibe at 40 mph and goes away when 4x4 switched on.

Thinking about changing bearings out but dealer says bearings are pressed on requiring clam shell to be split. :( Bearings are $140 Cdn each. :eek:

E

11. Jun 12, 2010 at 10:56 PM
    FixedTRD

FixedTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Alhambra, CA
    All pro LT, All pro front bumper,All pro rear fox, 1.5 full leaf and u bolt flip kit. KR sliders, bestop, high lift with custom mount, katskin leather, Hankook MT and atx artillery. DMZ SUA w/FOX triple bypass
    I have the same problem after install the all pro 1.5 leaf pack and extended brake lines. The steering wheel vibes when its around 20-25mpg once it hits 30 it goes away. I did alignment and balance today issue is still there. Thinking about bleeding the brake again but all 4 this time and not just the rear.

12. Jun 13, 2010 at 3:52 AM
    Shellbak

Shellbak Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    MD
    Vehicle:
    06' 4x4 DC

Did the front diff drop, it did nothing to alleviate the vibrations. The noise/ vibration is less noticeable but still there in 4x4. I've never had a bearing go bad b4 so have no idea what that sounds like. If it is something like that it would probably get gradually worse right?

13. Jun 13, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
  14. Jun 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    raiders

raiders New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    its the lift . anything over .085 its going to vib. tried all the shims diff drops carrier drops waste of time!!! set shocks @ .085 all good

15. Jun 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    frankybones

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO - CEMENT
    So I just installed the toytech shims and the vibe is less than before but its still there. This blows because I was looking foward to haveing bigger tires on my truck. I am not so sure if its worth the vibe now. Next up I think I am going to remove the carrier drop and test with just the shims.

16. Jun 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    Fmsvandal

Fmsvandal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift, Light Racing UCA's, N-Fab Steps, Black Headlight Mod, Satoshi Thin Lip Grille, Painted Hood Scoop, Debadged, Bakflip G2 Cover, Pop/Lock, Alpine HU, Kicker Door Speakers, RE Audio Subs, Arc Audio Amps
    I had a vibe after lift/shims/alignment. I just took my truck in to get tires rotated and had them look at the alignment.....PROBLEM FIXED! Turns out whoever did my last alignment sucked and the truck is dealership smooth now.

17. Jun 14, 2010 at 3:44 AM
    Shellbak

Shellbak Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    MD
    Vehicle:
    06' 4x4 DC

Seriously...prob the best advice out there. This should b a sticky.

18. Jun 14, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    Actually, just the opposite. Ignoring a failing part is not gonna make it go away! If a bearing is failing, wouldn't you rather know about it sooner rather than later? And even setting them at .85 will give you a vibe if the front diff bearing has failed far enough. That's precisely my situation! I wish I'd replaced the shocks sooner and found the vibe while still under warranty. It would have saved me $2,200.

EDIT: Called and complained to Toyota Corporate about the front diff failing. And even though I've got 93K miles on the truck and no more warranty, they agreed to split the repair cost 50/50. So now my cost will only be $1,100.

19. Jul 22, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    frankybones

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO - CEMENT
    So I have had my lift on my truck for 5 years now and I have over 150,000 on my truck. I still love it and and very happy with everything. I had my frame replaced after the recall so I decided to keep it and do a few repairs on it since my goal has always been to get at least 200,000 on my Taco well. I have had the vibration since the install of the lift but never any issues except the annoyance of the sound. What I noticed recently is that there was a squeak sound coming from the truck at low speeds and it almost sounded like a wet tire rubbing on metal. The cause of this was the rear u-joint. The rear u-joint is also was caused the vibe on my truck. Once the rear u-joint was replaced my truck no longer had the vibe and runs great as if there is no lift. Not sure how long it will last but I thought I would let everyone know my results. Havent been on here in a while and hope everyone is well.

Products Discussed in

To Top