1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration Nation: Complete Thread (60mph vibration)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ShaneHD, May 22, 2011.

?

Do you have the vibration?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2011.
  1. Yes

99 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. No

71 vote(s)
    41.8%
  1. May 31, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I think my particular problem is a bad wheel or tire .

2. Jun 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    I had a vibration, but only after i installed a set of aftermarket wheels/tires. When it was stock, it was perfectly smooth. I then installed a lift that stiffened my suspension up greatly, and once again i no longer have a vibe. I didn't do anything when the vibe first started, just figured it was from the change and it didn't bother me.

I think the truck is just picky, but it doesn't matter to me. When i bought a truck, i expected it to drive like a truck. Besides, i don't think i've ever owned a truck that didn't have a vibration at some speed.

3. Jun 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    erion109

erion109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT
    Weathertech FR & RR, DDM Tuning HID 55W 5000k Bi-Xenon, ARE topper, Yellow painted fog-lamp mod, anytime fog-lamp, Ipod interface, Red Top OPTIMA, Bilstein 5100s and 1.5 Toytech AAL, Redline Hoodstruts and EZdown tailgate.
    I don't know if my issue is the same, but I have an 06 DC TRD PreRunner with a vibration / shudder. The first time I noticed it, the truck was completely stock and I was creeping up a hill during a snow. I didn't think anything of it, because I thought it was due to the snow. It was very slight and I did notice it after the snow was gone. I put a 2" AAL on the rear and Bilsteins on the front and then it became specifically noticeable between 1200-1700 RPMs. I could now feel it even when the transmission was shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear. Taking off from a stop is very noticeable. I took the truck to get the alignment after the lift and he played around with axle shims and carrier drop and it did not change the problem. He said he couldn't get the vibration out and even gave me the alignment for free. He runs a very reputable alignment and lift shop. I had someone suggest the transmission mounts today, but after describing it, he said it could be the torque converter. I don't mind taking my truck to the dealership, but it's not under warranty and I don't want to pay for a lot of parts swapping. Please let me know if this sounds like the same issue and what you might recommend.

4. Jun 1, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    L.V.T.

L.V.T. jackalope killer

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD D-Cab
    Tint, Shaved Mud Flaps ;), Train Horns, 2.5" Fat Bob's front lift, Rear TSB spring lift, DuraTrac's
    My recommendation is; live with it, get used to it, embrace it, and wake up to the fact you drive a TRUCK, not a Mercedes-Benz luxury sedan.

Not trying to be an ass, but people who drive trucks and complain about little vibrations, harsh rides, and rattles/noises don't belong in a truck.

5. Jun 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Took my truck in today to have the tires rebalanced. I walked out with an appointment for next Monday to have my driveshaft replaced. Apparently the badly balanced tires were masking the feel of the vibration, which isn't bad, but bad enough that when the tech took the truck for a test drive after the balancing, he immediately ordered the new shaft. Thank God there are still 2,000 miles left on my powertrain warranty so this won't cost me anything. We'll see if it actually fixes anything.

6. Jun 1, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Watch out with that kinda talk;) OP might kick you out of his thread on the internetz. Or yell at you with caps-lock:jerkoff:

7. Jun 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I don't know if you are lumping me in with this little comment of yours , but just in case .

Go Fuck Your Hat

8. Jun 1, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Umm....I didn't think so:notsure: I was just warning that guy the op might not be so pleased with that statement

9. Jun 2, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    ShaneHD

ShaneHD [OP] Taco Tuesday

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Was supposed to hear from the dealership yesterday and didn't. Will be calling them today. Kirk, I really appreciate your grown up comments and contribution to this thread. Thanks for trying, one day you will get it...

As for everyone else, I appreciate the input. It's not for me, its for everyone who has the problem.

10. Jun 2, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    Is your Tacoma your first truck? Cause I've owned several lifted trucks and never had vibrations post lift. its more than just a rattle looks like my vibes are my needle bearing and will be getting it fixed on Monday so like oz said :brianr::brianr:

11. Jun 2, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    ShaneHD

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Bzzr is all grown up...he gets it!

Just wish we could stay on topic here.

12. Jun 2, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    L.V.T.

L.V.T. jackalope killer

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD D-Cab
    Tint, Shaved Mud Flaps ;), Train Horns, 2.5" Fat Bob's front lift, Rear TSB spring lift, DuraTrac's
    Haterz...

13. Jun 2, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    My truck never had a vibe issue, then on Jan 1st/2011 I snapped a u-joint. For a month before this I was having terrible vibes. Replaced the u-joint and the vibes were gone. Unfortunately they are back but now only in the 55 +/- range. No clue what the problem is... leaning towards carrier bearing.

2007 Double Cab TRD O/R short bed, 2.5" 5100 lift + TSB leafs. 285/70-17 tires.

14. Jun 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    it was my rear that snapped. 6months in to having a replaced u-joint and yoke I started getting vibes similar to when the u-joint was on its way out. They are just in the 55 range, and it shakes the whole cab, only audible because everything is vibrating.

15. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    ShaneHD

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    My problem is getting worse. Now it happens between 50 and 65mph, both when I give it gas and let off the gas. Notified the dealership lastnight.

16. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    Still have my appointment for Monday for the driveshaft replacement under warranty, even though it sounds like it won't help any. I drove my truck up on ramps and crawled around under it this afternoon to get a visual check of how it looks now so I can compare it to after the dealer wrenches on it. While under there I noticed two things, one that might be related to the vibration and one that isn't:

1) The bracket that holds the carrier bearing in place has obvious signs of recent adjustment. I can see where the washer used to be compared to where it is now. There is also fresh wrench rash on the two bolts. The entire Spicer shaft assembly also looks incredibly new, even has the stickers with part numbers still cleanly stuck on. Keeping in mind that I am the new owner of this 2008 and have no idea of the service history, is it possible the shaft has been replaced before? You would think the dealer would know if something like that had been done already under warranty.

2) I'm not new to four wheel drives, but I am fairly new on DIY maintenance of them. While I was under the truck I wanted to check the front axles/CV joints for wear. When I grabbed the collar that goes from the CV boot to the differential housing (the one that I assume houses the CV joint itself based on the shape) it had a lot of up/down, back/forth play. Is this normal? Is this collar supposed to be hard mounted to something or is it designed to "float" along the shaft?

17. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    ShaneHD

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD

Anyone?

18. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    I already found out about the play in the CV axle, apparently it's normal.

19. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Agreed

20. Jun 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    ShaneHD

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Received an email from the service manager today. They want me to bring my truck in tomorrow AM so they can swap out my rear differential with another truck they have on the lot to see if it improves. Is this normal for them to do?

Products Discussed in

To Top