1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration & U Joint replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by THROUGHITALLDUDE, Apr 7, 2011.

?

What do you think it is?

Poll closed May 7, 2011.
  1. Bad Alignment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad Rotors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Drive line vibes cause of new U joints

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. (maybe even) Wheel Bearings are bad

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Apr 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

THROUGHITALLDUDE [OP] Someone didnt put the tailgate down!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    So just recently all three of my U joint had to be replaced. Prior to the fix I had a clunk and alot of vibes coming from the drive shaft obviously because the U Joints were bad. Well leaving the shop and the next few days the truck drove great. Now I am started to feel a vibe coming from what seems to be the front end but I am not for sure. I feel it most in the floor and it occurs most when going downhill. I seem to think that my rotors are warped could this be because of my rotors, alignment (cause I havent had it done in a long time, or do you think I need drive line shims now that I have all new U joints???

2. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    You should check to see if all the Zerk fittings are facing the same way. If they are not all facing the same way then your drive shaft will be out of balance. You can take it to a drive line shop and have it balanced.

3. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:05 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I think it's like $10 a rotor to get it turned. So it wouldnt hurt. Did you end up doing them yourself?

4. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:11 AM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    No I ended up going to a shop and having it done I just dont have the time to do it myself.

5. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    Well I guess I am gonna go by the shop to have him take a look at it.

6. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Warped rotors usually only cause vibes when braking. Tire balance is what the most likely culprit is. Although, if they screwed up the u-joint install, it will vibrate.

7. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    well if this true I need to take the truck in because there is one grease zerk facing a different way then the other two

8. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    Update: So I went to a few shops and the guys who put in the U joints. The U joints shop said the vibes werent coming from the drive shaft but he thinks its a wheel balance issue. So I ended up rotating my wheels install the OME Carrier Bearing drop and servicing my brakes since they were making tons of noise and shuttering and the vibes are all gone. Dont know which one it was that worked but collectively everything fixed it =) just for future references.

9. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Congrats. I'm just about due for brakes as well.

10. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    Ya I did not put that brake quiet stuff on the back of it figuring it wouldnt do a damn thing and now I did and now they are super quiet

11. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    On the back of the pad where it touches the caliper right?

12. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    Ya it gets all tacky and sticks to he pistons

13. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    So wait, you did put it on?

14. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    Ya I did it works great.

15. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    K thanks. Probably going to change mine soon.

To Top