1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration Under Dash

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by joshone, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 15, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    joshone

joshone [OP] Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner TRD
    Hey everybody, got some general dash questions. I had a '01 Tacoma before, and the passenger-side airbag cover rattled bad. It was under warranty, so I had dealer fix it - they needed to simply take off cover and re-insulate it.

So now I have an an '02 (same TRD, double cab model), and there's a bad vibration on the dash just under above the AC vents - dead center in the dash. I can feel something loose just under it. I'm just wondering what kind of undertaking it is to get the dash off - it's annoying enough that I need to fix it at some point but am worried what a shop would charge in labor to get dash off. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but wondering what type of ordeal it would be.

Anyone had a similar issue and any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Jul 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    Showtime250

Showtime250 Bryon

Member:
    St. Albans WV
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 2.7 4x4
    Toytec 3 inch suspension lift, Mickey T wheels, BFG MT's, weston bull bar and step bars, and aftermarket stereo
    The middle of the dash is easy to take apart. Take your ac and heat turn dials off by just pulling on them. Then take a knife or screw driver and pop out the black piece behind the dials that shows how hot or cold you want it. Then there is 3 screws in behind that. Take those out then go down to the bottom plastic piece that has the the extra cig light inputs and take the two pop rivets out of it one on drivers side one on passenger side. Pop this piece out and then disconnect the plugs on the back of the pannel. Then you can pull the piece of dash out that goes around your radio. It is kinda hard but it will pull out. Then you got to disconnect the wire that goes to your Air bag on the passenger side. The whole panel will then come off. Then you have 4 screws to take your radio unit out. This exposes a big hole in the center of your dash. You should be able to find out whats rattlin from there. Hope all works out.

3. Jul 15, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    joshone

joshone [OP] Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner TRD
    OK, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info. Sounds like nothing but some tedious stuff - any issues getting everything back in place in your experience?

To Top