1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibrations felt in steering wheel after 4" lift??? Zone off road (BDS)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by implicitprodigy, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    implicitprodigy

implicitprodigy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Are you suggesting I go to a reputable tire shop and get it balanced OTHER than Toyota? I would think Toyota was reputable. Or are you suggesting a tire shop because they specialize in tires?

2. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    Jorgy1

Jorgy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    But that doesn’t explain why it still vibrates when another set of wheels are tried by Toyota, unless those were poorly balanced as well

stevotivo12 likes this.
  3. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:13 PM
    PapaBear

PapaBear Never test how deep the water is with both feet.

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PR 4.0... Aaaand she’s GONE
    Soft Suspension Hard Rubber ®
    If you've got a DT close, go for it.

4. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    Grumpy514

Grumpy514 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emil
    NOVA
    Vehicle:
    14' Magnetic Gray T4R
    Yes. A tire specialty shop. Call around and ask if they have a road force balancer, few shops have them so I would call first. (This is not a must to use that type of machine but it will certainly help your issue)

5. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    wirenut

wirenut I like this place

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NH
    Vehicle:
    98’ T4R
    OME/5100 - 300lb 3.5” loft setup Prinsu 3/4 rack
    Did they high speed balance the tires? The tire machines generally balance the tires around 12 to 20 mph. (Depending on how rugged the man or woman turning the knob is.)You could always rip your BDS lift out and install something else.

6. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    thats just not true dude. It comes through the front axle and can very easily be transmitted through the suspension and into the steering since all three are connected at the hub/spindle assembly. Depending on lift, alignment, truck condition, etc not everybody will have the same experience but that doesn't mean it can't do it.

JFriday1 likes this.
  7. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    implicitprodigy

implicitprodigy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just text my guy at Toyota and asked him if they have a road force balance machine and whether or not they did s high speed balance. My Toyota guy is actually trying really hard to figure the problem out, he's as interested as I am in figuring this issue out. All this work they are doing, they are doing it for free, so the sooner it's figured out, the better for them. That's why I am asking on here, because sometimes the guys here on TW have more experience.

8. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    I had the exact same issue, it was greatly improved upon with the needle bearing replacement FWIW. Its not perfect but i expect some vibrations with heim'd UCAs.

9. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Never heard of it happening from anyone I know who has had it including myself. But hey you never know

10. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    as I mentioned before, I had the exact same symptoms as OP especially after watching the video he posted. Its like the truck would hit a little imperfection in the road and every time it did the wheel would bounce too far left or too far right, and then center itself but by the time it did it was hitting another bump and starting over.

11. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    That is interesting glad I got mine almost immediately.

12. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    I meant that I had the same symptoms as him long before I watched the video, but after watching it can confirm without a doubt that they are the same. Not that I developed the symptoms after watching it. That would be really impressive if I could do a whole needle bearing swap in 15 mins since I stumbled across this threAD! The vibration in my steering developed about 100 miles after I lifted the truck and stayed the same once it surfaced.

13. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Don't let "only after a lift" and "4wd eliminates it" or"it makes noise" be your tell all.

My 2015 had a vibration when I got it with 6 miles, Toyota said it was normal. I had no noise, no change between 2 and 4wd, before and after a lift.

Granted, my shitty needle bearing was installed incorrectly from the factory.. pushed all the way in instead of flush.

But, Toyota ignoring the problem is just one of the many reasons I won't buy another new one. Vote with your wallet next time and people notice.

Granted... Fixing that issue did not fix a vibration that comes and goes, but I'm getting rid of it.

Unchained 5150 likes this.
  14. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    Mine started growling after going 1.75 up front, so when I went to 887's I did the bearing at the same time. Good Luck OP I hope you get this worked out

15. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don’t think of toyota dealers as not reputable, but they probably dont deal with large, hard to balance tires as often as an offroad shop - in fact my dealer will sub that kind of work out.

16. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    nice looking truck btw.

17. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    Has anyone suggested the driveline yet?

Have you checked the angles of your driveshaft? You may need an axle shim to change the pinion angle or a carrier (center support) bearing drop.

18. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    When I had a wobble in my steering wheel like that, an alignment resolved it. Added more caster and got the toe closer to zero. Did any of the shops tell you the numbers for your alignment?

Could also try swapping front tires to the back & back to front. See if that makes a difference.

19. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    I agree there is a good chance OP will find that he needs to do this, as well. I'm riding on a 2.75" lift and had to do the clamshell bushing from ECGS, axle shim, and have my driveshaft rebalanced. Mine is now completely vibe free

eccracer104[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    I typically see driveshaft issue bounce the entire truck more than cause a steering wobble. I think seeing the numbers from the alignments might help rule out some things.

eccracer104 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top