1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibrations felt in steering wheel after 4" lift??? Zone off road (BDS)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by implicitprodigy, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    The driveline issues are a major headache.

Thinking about OPs issue he has a steering wheel vibration. All my driveline issues were felt through the floor rather than the steering wheel. I may have been off mentioning a possible driveline problem.

stevotivo12[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    Haha beat me to it. Driveline would be a floorboard vibe, not steering.

Seeing the alignment numbers would help. I'm surprised he's had what 3-4 alignments with no better results.

OP, can you also post pictures of your front suspension. It would help being able to see it, might identify a mis-installed part.
    (suspension, spindle, tie rods, etc...)

3. Nov 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Or just start with the easiest test of all guys! Throwing it in 4WD and not feeling any vibes would be the dead giveaway for a needle bearing in case I forgot to mention that before

implicitprodigy[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 14, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    he said the vibes are only over 50mph. That's a bit fast for 4wd for most people. Needle bearing is generally noticeable at lower speeds.

5. Nov 14, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    Jorgy1

Jorgy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    It wouldn’t hurt to do the ECGS bushing anyway as it will eventually need to be done.

stevotivo12 likes this.
  6. Nov 14, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    implicitprodigy

implicitprodigy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So are you saying that if I don't get the vibrations in 4wd it means that it's the needle bearing that is causing the vibrations? Can anyone help me understand exactly what the bearing is what it does? And why 4WD doesn't utilize it? Sorry I'm not as well versed with a lot of this stuff. That's why I'm trying To learn.

7. Nov 14, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    Braves95

Braves95 Go Clemson Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB P&T 6MT
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    Yes if u change to 4wd hi. Drive and the vibration goes away it's the needle bearing.

8. Nov 14, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    The needle bearing from Toyota has play in it. When u do a lift it sometimes causes a vibration. The clamshell that u should replace it with eliminates the play. And it's only on the driver side.

9. Nov 14, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    implicitprodigy

Member:
    Hmmmm..... it does seem to be more on the driver side. And like I said I feel it in the steering column. That's the best way I can describe it. I have tomorrow off, so I am going to drive it in 4WD on a road that is known to cause it to happen EVERY single time I drive on it (it's not the road though). It always happens around 50 mph but some roads cause it more than others. I will also take a picture of all my suspension. You guys are giving me so much more info than I have received thus far. I am very grateful for such a knowledgeable community.

10. Nov 14, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Yep. Start up truck. Place in 4wd hi. Drive and see if it does it. Goes away there's ur issue. I have a puller. Just pay shipping and I can get it to u. When done mail back. Let me know.. where are u located?

11. Nov 14, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    Jorgy1

Jorgy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    Classic sign the needle bearing is bad is it feels a little like your driving on the fog line rumble strip. You can feel the vibration in the gas pedal too. When it’s doing it, take your foot off the gas, shift into 4wd, and get back on the gas. The vibes should be instantly gone if it’s the needle bearing.

12. Nov 15, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    implicitprodigy

Member:
    UPDATE:
    So I drove the truck in 4WD and it definitely still can feel vibrations. This can't just be "oh because you have a lift now, they all vibrate a little", which is what some friends told me.

Also, I paid attention to the rest of my truck and I can't really tell much vibrations on the rest of my truck, mostly felt in steering wheel/ column.

Here is the video from 4WD. And as always, thank you guys for continuing to help me out and shoot me ideas.

https://youtu.be/84bHIdhcVxA

13. Nov 15, 2017 at 12:09 PM
    implicitprodigy

Member:
    That's awfully generous of you. Look at my update, I was hoping so bad that it was the needle bearing. That way I could have actually had something to work with.

14. Nov 15, 2017 at 12:09 PM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    get a roadforce balance

15. Nov 15, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    implicitprodigy

Member:
    Yes, Toyota road force balanced it

16. Nov 15, 2017 at 12:11 PM
    implicitprodigy

Member:
    I confirmed with the tech today about the road force balance. They did it there (hey have the machine)

17. Nov 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    i still think alignment seems likely until we see numbers to rule it out.
    What's "in spec" (toyota) or "usually good enough" (offroad shop) vs what you think is ok might all be different.

It was a very small change in alignment for me to get rid of a steering wheel shake.

Most of us don't have drop bracket type lift. Not sure if that alters behavior more than other types of lifts.

implicitprodigy[OP] likes this.
  18. Nov 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    implicitprodigy

Member:
    Yeah man, I hear you. I'll be bringing it back (again)... I keep bringing it there cause they are doing everything for free since they were the ones who didn't. Eventually I may bring it to a specialty and just fork out more mo way to have them give it a try....

And yeah man, I also hear you on most people not having a Douche Bag lift, I mean a drop bracket lift. But honestly, I think tacomaworld>suspension thread was the best chance I would have with getting the best kind of answers/experience. I still don't regret the lift though, I'm gonna get it figured out come hell or high water.

totmacher[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 15, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    ive always heard horror stories with bds lifts. its possible a lift component is slightly fukd and its causing issues.

20. Nov 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    Brenden J

Brenden J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD sport
    I dont really know much about drop bracket lifts but i only lifted mine 2.5" on king coilovers and I HAD to get new UCAs for the alignment to come in spec. If you are at 4" and stock UCA that could be a potential rabbit hole to follow. Other than that I have a slight vibe in the pedals and steering wheel. Im guessing drive line so ive just been adding the parts piece by piece (diff drop, carrier bearing, axle shims) until it hopefully goes away. Your shake is way more aggressive than most ive seen. Its like your toed in hard and your wheels are fighting each other.

stevotivo12 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top