1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibrations: Observations,Conclusions etc...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lonecountryboy, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Aug 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    2006KJ

2006KJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Front Royal VA
    thanks for trying to figure this out... the vibrations in my new truck are starting to drive me nuts.... should not have that issue with a brand new truck. sub'ed for further findings.

2. Aug 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Kind of makes sense.

From the early trucks PK

3. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    hilux30

hilux30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PEI
    Vehicle:
    '15 4Dr SB 6MT
    OTT tune 3 degree cam gear OME/Dobinson
    I ordered the TSB mount, and dug-out my stock drive-shaft to have it rebuilt and balanced. The trans mount rubber is cracking pretty bad so it needs it anyway. I do have a new center bearing but I filled the cavities with black RTV to make it a bit stronger, I've done this on engine mounts on a track Nissan using stock mounts with great results... No vibes and very little flex.

As far as the 1st gen Tacoma shaft, still looking for one but I want to pull the tom woods out and go back to a two piece for now and then modify the 1st gen drive-shaft, along with a re-drilled flange to except both. So the TW shaft will be up for sale soon.

4. Oct 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Just curious as to why you're ditching the one piece Tom Woods? I've been considering one to get rid of my takeoff shudder. Based on all the hype, I thought they where the end-all-be-all solution to all things driveline, no?

5. Oct 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    hilux30

Member:
    PEI
    Vehicle:
    '15 4Dr SB 6MT
    you want to buy my TWs? I just didn't feel comfortable with it being that close where the carrier bearing used to be, I tow a trailer a lot and the ass sits low... but yes there was no take off shudder with the TW...

Update to re installing the factory shaft with the new TSB mount: little to no shudder, but it's vibing on the highway, so I got to call the DS shop and have him balance it again, the TSB mount came with CB shims, but my new CB HD bolts don't fit so I have to bore them out...

as of 10-6-2012: Shimmed CB about 1/2 inch with aluminum shims and strips of rubber from a Mudflap: No shudder, no vibes on stock shaft.

6. Oct 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    What kind/size of lift do you have, and are you running any axle shims to rotate your rear diff pinion?

7. Oct 20, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    hilux30

Member:
    PEI
    Vehicle:
    '15 4Dr SB 6MT
    As of this moment (since I keep experimenting with the angles): totally stock rebuilt and balanced drive-shaft, carrier bearing shimmed to 1" down (some silicon to fill cavities), rear 3 degree shim removed. Toytech AAL on non-TSB springs but cap and tools give total of 1" lift, and new TSB TC mount (that seems to place the TC higher than it was with factory part). The front is now riding on DR coil-overs but cranked only to 1" lift, very minor.

Result: no take off shudder, light vibe at 45-55 MPH, a bit annoying.

But I do need to check my driver-side needle-bearing form front diff to CV shaft, and do the solid bushing swap 1st...

Products Discussed in

To Top