1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VIN location(s)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Glamisman, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Dec 9, 2016 at 11:04 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I acquired a 1996 Tacoma V6 4 X 4 automatic 2 door extended cab pickup recently, a project pickup for my nephew and I. It has an assigned VIN by the CHP... no windshield/dash VIN just a replacement VIN tag on the door jamb... no Federal or State certification info plate either. I was hoping to pull a VIN from the PCM but no luck there. I am wondering if there is a "hidden" location where I can pull a VIN for future parts / additional info on this truck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dec 10, 2016 at 12:10 AM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    Why does it have a VIN assigned by the CHP? I've never heard of anything like that. The factory VIN locations are on an engraved plate visible through the windshield, or on the door jamb. I looked at the Haynes repair manual and it only mentions those two locations. It does, however, state that the transmission and engine should have some type of identification number (not sure if VIN).

3. Dec 10, 2016 at 3:35 AM
    Obsessed2000

Obsessed2000 Just a big dummy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC/VA line
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 3.4
    Deck plate mod Bilsteins All pro leaf springs All pro greasable shackles Camburg UCA Interior Led conversion Tundra TRD springs Extended SS brake lines Seat covers 33" yokos White herculined exterior
    I'm pretty sure there's little stickers all over the place that have the VIN. If I remember correctly there's some on the doors and under the hood. They should be about 1/2" by 1.5" sticker.

4. Dec 10, 2016 at 4:50 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Likely a salvage rebuild. Vins and plates may have been pulled to go on another stolen vehicle, while the vehicle was 'out of service'.

OP, if I'm correct, the 'actual' vin may be of little use to you anyway. The truck could be cobbled back together with a variety of parts.

The panel vin stickers are easy to remove, and often disappear during paint work or when panels are replaced with new / other used parts.

Like building a hot rod, you may not be able to make parts determinations on VIN alone. You may have to figure out the correct part by having it in your hand and verfiying fit, then record the PN in case future replacement is needed.

PROseur likes this.
  5. Dec 10, 2016 at 5:43 AM
    Glamisman

Member:
    vehicle was stolen off the dealers lot new back in the day, the sheet metal panel VINS were scrapped off, door jam and dash plates were removed also. truck was recovered shortly after intact, less VIN plates and insurance "fixed" it. I bought it from the first owner who bought it from the insurance co. / dealership.

6. Dec 10, 2016 at 5:47 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Should be one behind the tail lights.

FirstGen Jer likes this.
  7. Dec 10, 2016 at 6:02 AM
    Glamisman

Member:
    I will look there in the AM... thanks.

8. Dec 10, 2016 at 7:06 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Since there is a legal history trail on the vehicle, the initial theft report from the dealer and the involved insurance should have included the VIN. They would have had paperwork on it.

If you can't find any on-vehicle ID, backtracking that case could turn up what you want. Yea, it's 20 years old. But most of that stuff is archived, and old stuff is often being digitized now adays. You could get lucky with a few phone calls........... In fact, while the CHP issued a new VIN, they should have record of what the OE VIN was that they replaced.

PROseur likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top