1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Viofo A119 V3 Dash Cam Comparison (V2, Pro, A129) and Review (coming soon)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by USDashCamera, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jul 3, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    USDashCamera

USDashCamera [OP] Put it in H

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    [Update with review]

Here is the video review, check down below for my previous updates, full video comparisons, and screen shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Col7lKV1LL0

[/Update]

Hey guys I just received the new Viofo A119 V3 to test and review. If you haven't seen me around here I am a 3rd gen TRD OR owner, who happens to do youtube reviews of dash cams so I like to share them here too.

The Viofo A119 V3 is actually the 6th A119 version. The original launched several years ago with 1440p video quality and basic functionality. Parking mode was added later on but the parking mode was very basic and I typically didn't recommend it if you really wanted to be able to record while parked. They released shortly after the A119S which used a lower megapixel image sensor that only did 1080p but had superior night quality. Not long after that they released a V2 of both the original and the A119S. The A119S was not too popular as even though it had superior night quality, the night quality was decent on the regular version but at a higher resolution.

The V3 has some big improvements over previous versions though. It adds pre buffered parking mode, which means if the camera senses and impact or motion, it saves 15 seconds before the trigger, and 15 seconds (or more if it seems sensing) after the trigger. So this way you do not miss what actually set off the camera and helps prove what really happened. cheaper cams often just start recording after so you don't actually capture the incident, like Anker cams.

The 3 wire parking mode hardwire cable now works through the GPS mount too. More on this stuff in the final review.

Last year the A119 Pro cam out which was a new version with new CPU and image sensor. It was a pretty good improvement but I think a lot of people didn't buy into it because of the Pro name. It really should have been called the V3.

So now the A119 V3 is out, and it has a new CPU and new Sony 5 megapixel image sensor that has the best quality of any A119 by far.

My review will be up shortly but I wanted to post a first update with my sample comparison during the day. A night sample will come shortly. You can see from this screen shot how much of a difference the V3 is over the V2. I was also surprised that the Pro looked noticeably better than the V2 because the V2 still seemed to sell better.

The A129 is a dual channel system at only 1080p30 so its not really a fair comparison but I wanted to include it since I have it.

All cameras were running with WDR on, no CPL filter, all other settings default. The V3 I set to 1440p highest bitrate as that is the recommended best quality setting. It supports 1600p but really you're just getting a taller image with more sky and your hood so doesn't really benefit you. the V2 and Pro also were set to 1440p30.

license plate text.jpg

Check out the full 3 min comparison video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5kyQvN9Yg

[Update]

So here is my night comparison. One thing to point out is the differences at night are typically not as pronounced as during the day when it comes to readability. That being said the text in most situations in the environment do seem to be best on the V3, followed by the Pro, then A129, then the V2 in last again. In this case the Pro and A129 look pretty close but I am guessing the Pro edges it out with its 1440p. I'd like to point out I know the images aren't PERFECTLY timed but sometimes its just really hard with my software that I am taking screen with, and each of these cams have slightly different FOV. I usually try to match moving cars up to stationary objects. But in this case I was going pretty similar speed anyways so a few fractions of a second wouldn't likely make much of a difference.

I wanted to point out again I am using 1440p highest bitrate on the V3, 30 mbps. 1440p high bitrate on the V2, 1440p bitrate on the Pro, 1080p60 (no rear cam connected) with WiFi off. All have WDR on, none of the CPL adapter on. All other settings were default.

[​IMG]

Where the V3 really shines is in real low light conditions. In these conditions, the A129 with its sony image sensor seem to do 2nd best against the Pro and V2 again in last.

[​IMG]

So one thing I wanted to point out is it seemed like in my video comparison, there is a part where I am passed by a dodge truck. There is a split second where it seems the A129 is the ONLY one that can read the license plate very well. I thought maybe its because its only 1080p? But at 60 FPS is it letting less light in? My hypothesis from watching several instances where the V3 always looked best with most definition is what's really happening here is the A119 models are on the left side of my rear mirror, and the A129 is on the right side; so when the truck passes on the left, my trucks high headlights are bouncing light back much harsher to the 3 A119 models, where the A129 on the far right is not getting all that light bounced right back at its lens. I could be wrong, let me know what you guys think. In every other case the V3 looked obviously best.

Also the reason I don't have a 4 way image like the day sample above is NONE of them were able to read a license plate while passing an oncoming car at any decent speed at night, even the V3. Night is still very hard to make plates legible at speed like that.

Review coming soon!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    DriverSound and SportsmanJake like this.
  2. Jul 3, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Nice comparison, looks like your in MN too, if you want to use my rexing v1lp to review im over in burnsville.

3. Jul 3, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    this is on my list. i'll watch the vid later. i haven't started the project because i haven't had research time, but maybe this is a good time to get it going. thanks for posting.

4. Jul 3, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    oh cool my parents live in Burnsville so I am over there from time to time. I appreciate the offer, im probably gonna be pretty for awhile though with a few new ones I havent even opened yet haha.

5. Jul 3, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    updated my first post with night samples.

6. Jul 6, 2019 at 6:06 PM
    GonzoQuick

GonzoQuick Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab 4x4 TRD/Tow Package
    Based on your (@USDashCamera) various posts, videos, and my own research, I bought the A119v3 with hardwire kit, GPS, and filter and am expecting delivery 7/9/10. I will be installing into my 2013 Tacoma next week. Thanks for all your help. Now, just to study how to install and set it up before another across country drive the following week. Great fun having these toys to play with!

USDashCamera[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 6, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    I recommend buying some add-a-fuses and one of those basic voltage testers that light up if you don't have one already. The hardwire kit will require you connect to an ACC fuse and a BATT always on fuse. Make sure you check what fuses you are using, don't use any that are a safety feature such as windshield wipers. Typically there is an ACC fuse that's off when the truck is off, then usually some sort of interior lighting fuse that's always on for the BATT connection.

I use 3 amp fuses for the add-a-fuses.

Blackboxmycar has some guides.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/setup-viofo-3-wire-hardwire-kit

GonzoQuick[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 6, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    GonzoQuick

GonzoQuick Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab 4x4 TRD/Tow Package
    Great! Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out.

9. Jul 7, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    LegendaryAcura88

LegendaryAcura88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 V6 DCSB
    Quick question about hard wiring and the parking mode. How much will a V3 drain the battery in parking mode? I read somewhere that some cameras use a lot of power. Would you recommend a battery pack for this reason, or would it be fine to just use the battery? If I just use the battery, how long would you think the truck could sit without an issue? Thank you for your reviews and information!

10. Jul 7, 2019 at 3:42 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    If you drive every day it shouldn't be an issue. If your truck sits undriven for several days at a time you could run into issues. The hardwire kit cuts power if your battery is getting too low but if you keep draining it down to low all the time your battery won't last as long. But again if you drive regularly it shouldn't be an issue.

This is my biggest complaint about viofo cams currently, other more high end cams have timers built into the cam or hardwire kit so you can set it to stop after 12, 24, 48 hours or so on. I use a 12 hour limit on my high end cams just so I'm not putting too much strain on the battery.

Unfortunately the only dash cam battery that would work costs almost 3 times the cost of an a119. Regular battery packs don't work well because they take too long to charge. Dash cam batteries are designed to charge very quickly and to withstand extreme heat or cold of a car.

GonzoQuick likes this.
  11. Jul 7, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    LegendaryAcura88

LegendaryAcura88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 V6 DCSB
    That's what I was worried about. For the most part I drive my truck every day, but I also go on work trips occasionally for a week or two at a time. Would just unplugging the camera at the power in be enough to make it a non issue, or is there anything in the harness that consumes power?

12. Jul 7, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    personally i would unplug it if its gonna sit for a week or two at a time. If it's only once in awhile its probably fine, and I'm sure some people would just let it drain down until the low voltage protection cuts it off but id rather not keep constantly having it run my battery down to a low point.

Few winters ago one of my cams I had set to cut off at 12.0 volts but on one of the coldest days of the year it cut off in the middle of the night, but since it was so cold it kept dropping so I needed to jump my truck that morning.

13. Jul 7, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
    Hows it compare to the blackvue 750?
    ?

14. Jul 8, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    The A119 V3 has better video quality, but they are in different leagues. Blackvue cams tend to not have as good of video quality but with more advanced features. I would personally take a blackvue dr750s-2ch over an a119 v3 if i had to choose but again, thats comparing a single channel camera with great video quality but basic features, to a high end 2 channel system with a lot more features.

Viofo is getting better and better tho, I am glad they finally have pre-buffered parking mode. they just really need to add a timer functionality.

15. Jul 11, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    GonzoQuick likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top