1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Viper 5901 and 2011 6spd

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kauaibuilt, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Jan 22, 2011 at 3:07 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt [OP] U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Dont know if anyone else has or is thinking about this combo but thought Id pass some info along.

Installer originally quoted me $275 and 2-3hrs of work to install the 5901 (previously installed on my TSX so some work was needed on the wiring) with key bypass and the Tacoma xpress module. Then everything went wrong!

- wiring has changed (I couldnt tell if he said there was talk of a change in mid 2009 or the changed occurred in mid 2009) and he was having problems finding the right wires.
    - apparently the computer modules that are normally located on the drivers side are now on the passengers side requiring a bunch of extra work.
    - apparently the new taco set-up requires that the remote start either be set-up to work either with OR without the manual tranny remote start process. Apparently the alarm reprogram (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...mission-safety-viper-starter.html#post2274600) won't work and it's strictly a wiring issue during the install.

What was supposed to take 2-3 hrs took nearly 5 but the system works flawlessly, however they didnt charge me more for the install time or other difficulties they faced. For those in San Diego, Car Audio Heaven was a great group to work with, some of the best customer service Ive experienced. :D

2. Jan 22, 2011 at 4:40 AM
    Nightfury

Nightfury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....
    What changed is the transponder system. 2005-2010 had either no transponder, a 40-bit, or an 80-bit. You can tell by checking your key. The non-transponder will have no markings. The 40-bit has a dot on the key near the key head, only on one side. The 80-bit has a "G" on it.

2011 Tacoma's, from what I have seen thus far, are now equipped with the 80-bit system. This requires you to tap the transponder data wires on the ECU, which is on the passenger side of a lot of Toyota's.

The Tacoma is actually one of the simpler installs in the Toyota line-up. Downside is it's hard to account for everything. For example, Tacoma's have lights that shut off when you open the door. With a manual, you can't burp the door trigger after the remote starter shuts down because it will think the door opened, and take it out of ready mode. Granted, this is just a convenience thing, but if you're forgetful (or just lazy) like myself, the lights are left in the "On" position all the time. Now, you start your truck as if you're going to leave. Oh, the phone rings and it's your mom, who doesn't stop talking for 3 hours. Your truck starter timed out, and your lights have been on that whole time. Uh oh, need a jump start.

I know, no one gets hurt, but this sort of stuff bugs me when I'm installing a remote starter. When I'm done, I only want people to know it's there because of the key-fob and antenna. As factory-esque as possible.

End babble.

3. Jun 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Monctonian66

Monctonian66 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tayota Tacoma
    Viper car starter model 5901
    Installer took two days to install a Viper 5901. We had to pick up after hours, as we pulled in driveway we noticed the brake lights were on, we thought hmmm, a wire must be crossed. We pulled out our keys and the remote start did not work, nor did the brake lights turn off. We thought, oh well, we will come back on Monday. This all happened last night. We start driving and as we pick up speed on highway my husband notices that the truck wont stay accelerated. He pulled over to the side of the highway and smoke was coming from the front of the truck....from the locked up brakes. My truck is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma and is only 7 days old, we are sick, just sick. We had to call a tow truck and it is sitting at the Toyota dealership instead of the installer's shop because that place is not in a nice neighborhood. Gonna call the dealership in the AM to tell them not to do anything til I call my installer, I don't want Toyota to get a hold of it and void all my warranty. I could just vomit!!!! Help!!

4. Jul 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Wow. That friggin' sucks!

How did you make out????

5. Jul 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Monctonian66

Monctonian66 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tayota Tacoma
    Viper car starter model 5901
    The installer of the Viper came out to the parking lot to see what was going on with the brakes locking up. It was the box of the Viper that got mounted under the dash close to the break pedal and it was leaning on the pedal making the brakes on. A simple zip tie fixed the problem. But then the truck was brought in the dealership for inspection and there was over $700 in damage to the brake discs, pads, etc. So the installer paid for it all to get fixed. Only right since they did the boo boo and there was only 200 miles on the truck.

6. Jul 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    this is why you want someone whos doing the installation to mount all the modules up high in the dash like above the cluster to make sure this sort of negligence doesnt happen. There are a great many installers out there that should NOT be installing...

Products Discussed in

To Top