1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Virgin Islands- St. Thomas?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by hobiecat111629, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Apr 12, 2016 at 10:13 AM
    hobiecat111629

hobiecat111629 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab
    We got married 6 months ago, but my wife had just stationed and couldn't get her leave approved and then I got super busy at work and couldn't get my vacation approved. We are finally getting around to our honeymoon and are planning a trip to St. Thomas.

Has anyone been there recently and have tips/advice that could make or break the trip?

2. Apr 12, 2016 at 10:37 AM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Great choice, been there many times. Stay on St Johns right next door (you fly into St Thomas) - it is far superior in beauty and lack of people. You can take a ferry to the main island at Red Hook and get into the main city etc. And Congrats!

3. Apr 12, 2016 at 10:45 AM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan
    X2

4. Apr 12, 2016 at 10:45 AM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    My wife and I have vacationed there few years ago. You don't need a U.S. Passport because it is a U.S. Territory (property owned) but still need some sort of U.S. identification when going through custom's.

All the beaches are beautiful on the island, so if you get the chance go to a place called Magen's Bay Beach! There are a variety of things to do, snorkeling, etc., but I suggest that you contact the island tourist office for better details, pricing, etc. There are some nice place's to stay but be prepared to spend $$$ because everything is expensive there-Everything! It's an Island so everything needs to be shipped in. Also another heads up, people there are big on tips!

Hey your on vacation and vacations are not cheap!

Also just use common sense when walking around the small city of Charlotte Amaile, like everywhere else in the world there are people and places that are not so trust-worthy.

One last thing, there are daily smaller flights to other islands (float planes) as well as smaller boats going to the neighboring British Virgin Islands so "if" you decide to travel there and don't have an official U.S. Passport well then your screwed because you'll be allowed to go just won't be able to come back-without a passport that is. But if you plan on going there then I strongly suggest that you take passports so there won't be any problems.

Have fun enjoy yourself's be careful and stay safe believe me if you like beaches that you only see on tv, movies, magazines, advertisement, etc. you'll enjoy it, it's worth the trip!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. Apr 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM
    shockinyall

shockinyall White Lightning Enthusiast

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 DCSB SUPER WHITE
    Traded to '17 Tundra
    I honeymooned in St. John (Next Island over) but flew in and out from St. Thomas. Great Islands, a lot to do and see. We chose St. John because it was more low-key. Absolutely take snorkel gear, by far the best snorkeling I have done, even better than the dry tortugas IMO. Also, charter a boat for fishing. Its a lot of fun even if you are not big into fishing. You get a boat ride with beer and get to catch dinner. We also caught a couple sharks which my wife enjoyed. Just a heads up, they drive on the wrong side down there (can't let go of their British roots) so if you are going to rent a car you will get a normal left hand drive vehicle but get to drive on the wrong side. Left on reds take some getting used to o_O

6. Apr 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM

327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Covington, LA
    Vehicle:
    Former 06 TRD Sport Silver Current 06 Sport 4Runner
    I was just there a little over a week ago. I really loved Magen's bay. I also visited a beach called Coki point that people with me said had great snorkeling. I don't snorkel, but I could see fish just swimming around me. The water was crystal clear. Also Sapphire beach was pretty cool too.

Like everyone else said, it's expensive.. but that's what vacation is for :) Have a nice trip!

7. Apr 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I've been to St. Croix USVI & stayed at a place called Carambola Beach Resort. It's located on the north side of the island at Davis Bay.

The facility & grounds are very nice. Well maintained, clean and relatively crowd free (in January). Restaurants at the property have some good food too. The beach & water were amazing while we were there (think Destin Florida sand & Cancun Mexico water). It's NOT located in a metropolitan area where you can walk to nearby stores ect. as such I rented a cheapo car. You can drive to the two largest towns on the island, one on the east end & one on the west end, in less than 30 minutes.

We stayed in a private beach bungalow with 2 baths, 1 bedroom, living room, kitchen & screened porch on the beach & maybe 100 feet from the water.

Unlike some places I've stayed at in Cancun, Nassau & Freeport Bahamas it's not a large property but, it does offer most of the amenities...without the 1000s of people.

It would be my recommendation for people looking for a vacation when you're not looking for a party.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  8. Apr 13, 2016 at 11:06 PM
    Tolip

Tolip Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue Tacoma Limited
    x3

ETA: I was there about a year ago. St. Thomas is amazing, but St. John is heaven on Earth.

To Top