1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Virginia off-roading shops/garages

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ppleasants, May 4, 2010.

1. May 4, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    ppleasants

ppleasants [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Doublecab Longbed
    5100's set at 2.5", toytec AAL, DIY AUX port, broken mirror fix, temp/compass fix (twice), rattle-can gunmetal sport rims, debadged doors, fog-light anytime mod, DTRL mod, rear differential breather mod, drop in K&N air filter
    I've been looking online for a lot of suspension and lift components for my 05 trd sport DC LB but the shipping is so expensive especially on parts like rear leaf springs. I'm planning on getting 5100's for the front and possibly the rear, and OME dakar leaf springs for the back. I don't know of too many shops around VA that sell these items, especially the OME(they all seem to be in California). I figured it would be a good idea for us virginians to start a thread sharing info on reliable local shops and garages where we can get advice and products. I'm from the richmond area but I'd be willing to drive a few hours to save money on shipping and to get a product right away and i'm sure others would too. Any input would be great, and if there is already a thread out there on the same subject let me know. Thanks

2. May 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T|X Baja
    Supercharged
  3. May 4, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T|X Baja
    Supercharged
  4. May 4, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    vatechoma

vatechoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryl
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Off Road
  5. May 4, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    One thing to consider is that the shops in VA have to pay shipping too...
    Also, where in VA are you located? I just finished doing the OME rear leaf install and new shocks. Make sure to buy axel shims with your kit, longer u-bolts, longer brake lines, etc...
    I'm cheap when it comes to install fees. :D

6. May 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    ppleasants

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    5100's set at 2.5", toytec AAL, DIY AUX port, broken mirror fix, temp/compass fix (twice), rattle-can gunmetal sport rims, debadged doors, fog-light anytime mod, DTRL mod, rear differential breather mod, drop in K&N air filter
    I'm in the richmond area but i drive to and from Blacksburg when classes are in. I'm finding out that just about anywhere selling leaf packs does transfer the shipping charges to the customer. It's just a pain in the ass paying $150 on top of $400 leaf packs. considering going with AALs since they're so much cheaper and shipping wouldn't be as bad but those OME dakar springs are so tempting. has anyone bought them and how much did you pay overall to get them shipped and everything?

7. May 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    ppleasants

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    oh... and what do the axel shims do and where do they go. My guess would be between the leafs and axel. And thanks for the install offer but that's actually one thing i'm looking forward to figuring out (with some help from friends) so that I'll know what I'm actually doing to my truck and make maintenence easier down the road.

8. May 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I had OME rear leafs mailed to me from Wheelers Offroad (I'm in Salem)... purchased for $375 + $130 for shipping. I also bought a few other small items and was able to avoid shipping as they were "thrown in" when they shipped the rear leafs.

For what it's worth, I would recommend buying the upbolt flip kit that All Pro sells if you do a 3" leaf pack.

The axel shims go between the rear leafs and the axel. They rotate the rear axel and put the driveshaft into a more normal position (or more normal angle). They are easy to install during the rear leaf install. If you get the AP ubolt flip kit, you can install the leafs, try out the truck and then install the axel shims later if you have vibrations WITHOUT completely removing the ubolts. Just loosen the nuts, jack up the truck (I'm skipping a few easy steps) and slide the shims over the pin on the axel.

9. Jun 2, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    ppleasants

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    ok, thanks. It looks like wheelers off-road has the best deals. Thanks for your help and if you ever take the truck out or know of a meet-up around salem, let me know, especially in the fall because I'll be in blacksburg

10. Jun 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    if you get a discount code from toytec, it''ll just about cover the shipping cost.

To Top