1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

virus/trojan/worm help?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dylandercole, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    09sportowner

09sportowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport
    X2 on malwarebytes and superantispyware. I'm an it consultant and we use these 2 apps daily! They work very well!! Combofix is another great one!

2. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    ok I kind of get what people are saying but im a little computer illeterate. As of right now I cant even get online on my computer. Im using my moms right now. But if/when I do should I use the malware thing or the anti-virus?

3. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    you should go out and buy yourself an external harddrive. Copy all your files to the hard drive, then format your hard drive and reinstall windows.

4. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    i30nes

i30nes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa Palms, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Impulse Red
    De-badged, Grillcraft grille w/ devil horns. Work in progress :)
    I clean those fake av programs offofa couple pcs at work. They are a PITA. However in my process I use malwarebytes and Avast antivirus. Avast I like due to it doing a scan right before windows loads. Also I have had to manually disable it in startup with msconfig. Good luck with the cleanup. If cleaned you don't have to format and loose your stuff. Good luck.

5. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    whats reformatting and how do I do it. Or I could just google it. but then I dont get the attention

6. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You don't need to reformat. The reason you cannot get online is probably because it is set to use a proxy server. Basically, a proxy is something that your computer would use to filter websites, you don't use one for home use. When it is set this way, your computer can't get online basically not allowing you to download anything to allow you to get rid of this virus.

see if these steps will help:

1. Download Malware bytes from another computer.
    2. Move file to desktop of infected computer using flash drive, external hard drive, etc.
    3. reboot PC and allow to come up normally.
    4. Immediately double click on MBAM-setup.exe (malware bytes install file). Hopefully the malware hadn't started yet so you can successfully install it.
    5. Reboot PC again, this time continue hitting F8 button during boot. You should get a screen asking how you want to boot.
    6. Choose "safe mode with networking"
    7. Once in safe mode go to start > programs > malware bytes and run the software.
    8. Go to the update tab and allow it to update.
    9. go to scan tab and perform a full scan.
    10. twiddle thumbs for an hour or so.
    11. click 'show infections'
    12. click 'remove selected'
    13. reboot computer
    14. go into internet explorer
    15. click tools > internet options > connections tab > LAN settings
    16. uncheck 'use proxy server' and select 'automatically detect settings'

That should take care of it.

7. Feb 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    Thats beautiful. A step by step process is exactly what I needed. I dont have a flash drive but Ill barrow one and try it out tomarow. thanks man

8. Feb 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    now that's thinking with your dipstick jimmy!

9. Feb 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    whats fedora core?

10. Feb 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    erik_found

erik_found Legendary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 reg cab
    http://fedoraproject.org/

Red Had sponsors Fedora for starters. Fedora is top-notch when it comes to stability because the main developers fix problems upstream as opposed to applying specific patches only for Fedora. I had a server for 35 dumb clients with 300+ days of no downtime.

11. Feb 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    The wife just recently had a window open up claiming she had virus and worms. That she should download their fix. Wanted a credit card #. Yeah right. We have a pretty good security but the desktop icon was gone. Go thru start menu but it still won't let me open my security. It would have told me everything was fine. Just a constant opening of windows warning not to go any further without buying their fix. 'Security tool' was it's name and it had put roots down all in my computer but they weren't named 'security tool'. only numbers for a name making a very difficult to remove or even identify them.There were no viruses or worms. They weren't selling anything. They just wanted my CC#. It was a pretty convincing hack if you were noob. Makes me wonder how good my security really is. It was freezing everything up blaming it on the worm/virus, claiming they could fix it.

12. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    yup thats about what I have. but mines called internet security 2010

13. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    These two will correct your problem. Just remember if anyone else gets this do not click on anything. Disconnect your network connection and shutdown your computer immediately. If you get it you will know. It sometimes will block you from starting your computer in safe mode so when Windows comes up you have to get Malwarebytes going quickly.

I use Avast! and it works great. The free version will catch this malware on a page if you have it set to the high setting.

14. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    I just downloaded the malware stuff to a zip drive thing my gf has. so probably tomorrow ill know if it works or not

15. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    I cant get the MBAM-setup to run. I double click it and it has the little hour glass next to the clicker but nothing happens. any help?

16. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    anyone? I know practically everyone on here knows more about computers than me so help me out so I can go back to my windows 2000 with dial up and be happy again

17. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    ok now theres a little bubble in the corner saying mbam-setup.exe - corrupt file

The file or directory C:\Documents and settings\owner\cookies\owner@66.230.188[1].txt is corrupt and unreadable. please run the Chkdsk utility.

What the hell is going on

18. Feb 8, 2010 at 4:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I have Avast! and it's been GREAT!!! It was free.

I haven't had any problems with viruses on my computer, but my website (host) had some infected files (trojanhorse). Luckily I did a complete download of the site to find them. My damn host needs to upgrade their own virus protection because this isn't the first time this has happened!!!

19. Feb 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Try renaming the file and then running it. Can you get Superantispyware to run?

20. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    people have been saying I dont have to reformat my compuuter though. Which would be cool because I have all my pictures and such on it.And I havnt tried superantispyware.

Products Discussed in

To Top