1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

virus/trojan/worm help?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dylandercole, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    doug355r

doug355r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    2.5" Lift with King shocks and TC UC, 4.88 gears, ARB compressor, ARB lockers, S POD, cheap lights
    I have the same virus on my lap top. Its a pain in the ass to get rid of. I have yet to be able to do it. If you don't already have the programs installed then you are kinda screwed. The virus limits what you can do and prevents you from installing any new programs. If I can find a way to get rid of it, then I will let you know.

I'm going to try to find someone to help me out...and if someone can, there will be a free 12-pac of your choice if it for you!!!:D:D:D

2. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    Ill let you know if I can get this sucker going or not. It might be time to upgrade the computer anyways. but im partial to my prehistoric technology so im going to do my best. Ill keep you posted

3. Feb 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    ok so after running the superantispyware I was able to install the malware bytes thing. but now that im in safe mode its giving me the corrupt file message again. im assuming this is just the virus being a bastard and its not actually corrupt as the other file it said was corrupt I finally got to run. but is there anyway to get this to run?

4. Feb 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    SO...1) can you get your computer to boot into safe mode? 2) If so, when your in safe mode do you have internet access?

If yes to 1 and no to 2, just copy and install MalwareBytes Antimalware from the usb drive to your computer. Also install Superantispyware. If you can get them both to install while in safe mode, you should be able to run them and catch/destroy your issue.

If you can get it into safe mode, at the very least you can then offload your pictures onto a USB key.

As a last resort you might need to find a computer shop (NOT Geek Squad) to help you if you can afford it. I say not Geek Squad because I don't like Best Buy, I think they're overpriced but just my opinion.

5. Feb 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    ok so I couldnt get either to run in safe mode. but now im in normal mode and the superantispyware is doing its thing. Its picked up 31 threats so far and its been going for about a half hour. After this im going to try to go back into safe mode and run the malware thing. And I wouldnt bother bringing the computer in to get it fixed. If this thing is toast then Id probably just have to use the situation as an excuse to upgrade to a laptop.

6. Feb 8, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    That is a nasty trojan you picked up. It redirects all the .exe files and doesn't allow you to run the task manager to kill the trojan process. If you got it going again great. If not go to www.bleepingcomputer.com and download a utility called tdskill to kill the trojan process and then run MaleWareBytes to clean up the computer.

Good luck.

7. Feb 8, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    Im going to try that sir. Its sad when a 2 year old knows more about computers than me! haha. but yea the superantispyware helped out a bunch already, no more annoying screens popping up but I still cant run much. ill try the bleeping computer.

8. Feb 8, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    and could you send me a link to the tdskill thing. I cant find it

9. Feb 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did you get MBAM to install? If so, go to 'safe mode with networking' click on start > programs > malwarebytes anti-malware > malware bytes (the program). Not sure why your getting the corrupt file. The virus was probably blocking it from running.

10. Feb 8, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    yea I got it to install. I go to the safe mode network and click on it through start but nothing happens. its not even giving me the corrupt file thing anymore. the hourglass shows up for a second and nothign happens....

11. Feb 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    thecoldone06

Member:
    it probably didn't install correctly. Go back into windows normally, then rename MBAM-setup.exe to something like your_name.exe. Then try installing it again.

12. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    ok thanks for the tip. ill give it a shot

13. Feb 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Just make sure you use more than 1 fixing program, none of them catch everything. SuperAntiSpy and MalwareBytes AntiMal are the 2 tops, but it wouldn't hurt to install a free anti-virus like Avast or Antivir and run that as well. And after those are done and have caught and cleaned everything, you might want to run CCleaner to clean up the registry of any last left-overs. Most important, after you've got your system working again, before you do anything else move all your important info, pics, music, whatever onto an external drive as a backup. If your systems as old as it sounds, its only a matter of time before it dies for good.

14. Feb 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    good Idea. I need to get the other programs running first. Im still having a world of trouble with them. but thanks for the advice I appreciate it

15. Feb 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    Get the Malwarebytes Antimalware software. There is a free version and a paid version. Works wonders so much better than norton or mcafee.

16. Feb 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    Im trying. I downloaded it and installed it. the virus just wont allow me to open it and I dont know how to fix that.

17. Feb 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    Can you reboot in safe mode with a command prompt and execute the malware program manually?

18. Feb 10, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    thecoldone06

Member:
    Problem is the windows installer service cannot be started in safe mode. It will not allow you to install a program. My best advice is to start double clicking MBAM-setup.exe or whatever you renamed it to as soon as you can see it. eventually, you will start the program before the virus starts. There is also a program you can find online called rkill. it is suposed to be able to stop and close different types of these viruses and keep them closed so you can install MBAM. if you google rkill, it should pop up. It comes in 4 different flavors, exe, com, scr, and pif. If the virus doesn't allow you to start and use the exe, you just start going down the list. The program has been known to not work though. This thing should be pretty easy to get rid of once you get MBAM installed. If you can't get it installed, unfortunately reinstalling windows might be your only course of action. :eek: :crapstorm: :anonymous:

19. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    yea im getting prepared to jsut clean sweep. but the Mbam is already installed. the program jsut wont open

20. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    Right after I installed AVAST on mine my brothers and my dads PC's they all three crashed. MBAM is the best I have seen for free so far.

Products Discussed in

To Top