1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Visiting Colorado? This is your Local Information Thread!

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by bot102, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Jul 13, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    Our trails will all be snowed in, we are a Memorial Day/ 4th of July for SW Colorado to Labor Day-ish Wheeling place.

2. Jul 13, 2020 at 2:56 PM
    El Taco Diablo

El Taco Diablo Professional Pinstriper

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red DC, 5vz-fe, 4wd swap, LT, dual case, F/R locked
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    Question...

Cooking with a propane stove, while camping, in Colorado... is there a permit needed for that?
    In California a camp fire permit is required, when using a propane stove.

I am seeing in numerous places that camp fires are prohibited but propane stoves or ok... but they don't mention a permit.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  3. Jul 13, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    Martyinco

Martyinco Well-Known Member

Member:
    no

4. Jul 13, 2020 at 3:28 PM
    Littles

Littles Stupid is as stupid does.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    You need to pay attention to fire bans in counties where you are planning to camp on the day you are planning to camp, but generally speaking a propane stove with an on/off valve is typically the only thing you are allowed to use during a burn ban. No permits required.

5. Jul 13, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    Current Fire Bans, http://www.coemergency.com/p/fire-bans-danger.html

Explanation of Fire Restrictions

Stage I
    The first stage occurs when there is an increasing fire danger and/or a increasing preparedness level, and the risks of keeping the forest open to all activities begins to be outweighed by the risks inherent in doing so. Stage I imposes relatively minor restrictions aimed at preventing the start of wildfires based on human activities that are known to be high risk, specifically smoking and campfires.

Stage II
    As the risks increase, the line officer may chose to move to Stage II. This stage intensifies the restrictions from Stage I by focusing on activities that, although normally managed under permit or contract, have a relatively high risk of causing a fire start.

Restrictions under Stage II will affect forest users and will have economic impacts to contractors, permittees, and others. Therefore, the decision to move to Stage II will involve a risk/benefit assessment, as well as consideration of economic and social impacts.

Stage III
    Stage III is closure. This stage is selected when there are very high risks and the ability to manage those risks using Stage I or II restrictions is no longer viable. The social, economic, and political impacts of implementing a closure at this point are outweighed by the benefits associated with virtually eliminating the potential for human-caused fire starts.

Components of Stages

There are two fire restriction stages: Stage I and Stage II. There is one closure stage: Stage III. To reduce confusion and standardize the restrictions, the following conditions, by stage, should be used in all restriction documents. Additional elements may be added as conditions dictate.

Stage I
    The following acts are prohibited:
    1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire except within a developed recreation site, or improved site. 36 CFR 261.52(a).
    2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials. 36 CFR 261.52(d).
    3. Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark-arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order meeting either the USDA Forest Service Standard 5100-1a (as amended), or appropriate Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335(b) and J350(a) (36 CFR 261.52(j)).

Stage II
    The following acts are prohibited, in addition to the prohibitions of Stage I:
    1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire. 36 CFR 261.52(a)
    2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building. 36 CFR 261.52(c)
    3. Possessing, discharging, or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device. 36 CFR 261.52(f)
    4. Using an explosive. 36 CFR 261.52(b)
    5. Operating a chainsaw or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine between 1:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. 36 CFR 261.52(h).
    6. Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting either:
    - USDA Forest Service Standard 5100-1a (as amended); or
    - Appropriate Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335 (b) and J350 (a). 36 CFR § 261.52(j) and 43 CFR § 9212.1(h);
    7. Welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame. 36 CFR 261.52(i)
    8. Possess or use a motor vehicle off: Forest System Roads (36 CFR 261.56) Except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway; and except for parking overnight in developed campgrounds and at trailheads.

Exemptions Common to Stages I and II
     Persons with a written fire entry and activity permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
     Persons using a fire fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels.
     Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
     Any federal, state, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
     Resident owners and private lessees of land within the restricted area exempt from restriction 1 above, provided such fires are within a residence. Stage III The area is closed to all entry (36 CFR 261.52(e)) other than as follows:
     Persons with a written fire entry and activity permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act. This may include such persons as grazing-permit holders when entry is needed to gather, move, or otherwise manage their permitted livestock, special-use authorization holders when access is needed to maintain emergency or other communications operations, and others.  Any federal, state, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
     Resident owners and lessees of land within the closed area.

Penalties
    Violations of these regulations is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months or both.

6. Jul 17, 2020 at 4:48 PM
    mhshark

mhshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, Or
    So my wife and I are going on a trip the latter half of September. Is there any chance Imogene or BBP are wheelable that time of year? Both are bucket list trails and I should have time for at least one but not sure if there will be snow already?
    Also if anyone in the area would want to wheel with me I would love that. My wife would probably feel more confident if someone that knew the trail was with us.

7. Jul 18, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    acidchylde

acidchylde Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport AC, black, still pretty much stock
    Chance, yes. It was open into at least October last year, and we're having a hot and dry summer so far. But September is pretty much when storms typically start, so it might be, might not be, or might just be shut down during the couple of days you want to do it and then melt off.

8. Jul 18, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    4x4offroadMT

4x4offroadMT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Bozeman, MT/Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    255/85/16 st maxx, uws toolbox, CB radio, 5100s, OME 885s, Dakars, Allpro sliders, ARB bumper
    I am sw colorado right now and have done both multiple times, it is likely that i will be here through september and would be more then willing to go with you.

mhshark[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 18, 2020 at 10:33 PM
    mhshark

mhshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, Or
    That would be great man! I’ll hit you up once we get closer to the date. Thanks!

4x4offroadMT[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 21, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    CO MTN Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Ever want to see a Bulldozer take the first shelf road turn on Black Bear?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  11. Jul 21, 2020 at 1:22 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    that moment at 2:06 :eek:

12. Jul 21, 2020 at 2:03 PM
    dmurph1996

dmurph1996 Beer me

Member:
    First Name:
    murph
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Thinking about visiting Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in the coming months and would love some recommendations on where to eat, sleep, drink, do.

13. Jul 21, 2020 at 3:02 PM
    Littles

Littles Stupid is as stupid does.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    My thoughts exactly. And that's only the first of several ledges that drop off-camber towards certain death. I'd like to see video of that thing going up the ledges from the Telluride side :popcorn:

CO MTN Steve likes this.
  14. Jul 27, 2020 at 7:24 AM
    CO MTN Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Just want to add if your aim of trip is fall colors they seldom make it into October. Fall colors timing there is middle of Sept plus or minus a week or sometimes not at all if wind/ snow rip through.

15. Jul 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    fegerfan2525

fegerfan2525 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD offroad
    No we’re not looking for fall colors, just our last camping trip of the year and I’m hoping to be able to get a trail or two in while I’m there.

16. Jul 27, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    if you plan to be flexible, you'll have a great time. don't be surprised if you get snowed on. don't be surprised if many trails start to close especially the higher passes like engineer, black bear, imogene, cinnamon... look at trails that stay below tree line and you might have luck on those even if snow falls. a lot of the trails down there are shelf roads though at one point during the trails and you don't want to mess around with them if they're slick and snowpacked.

jubei likes this.
  17. Aug 3, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    Kerleyfries

Kerleyfries Idk what the hell I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Lebanon
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 F150 and SAS ‘98 4runner
    If you’re still there the first week of September, I may be giving you a shout as well. I’ll be out there from TN and am hoping to find someone familiar with these trails to wheel with. I’m not a newbie, but I’m no expert. I’ve got a full armored 5th gen on 35’s.

Also: Any recommendations on a campsite nearby to park a 13ft little travel trailer and camp for a few days?

4x4offroadMT[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 3, 2020 at 6:11 PM
    bot102

bot102 [OP] The guy who ask a lot of questions

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCOR
    Beat up armor and broken stuff
    There should be a few of us out that way around that time for an event as well. Will most likely be doing some wheeling the weekend of the 5th

19. Aug 3, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    Kerleyfries

Kerleyfries Idk what the hell I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Lebanon
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 F150 and SAS ‘98 4runner
    Awesome! I’ll make sure to post up in here as time gets closer. That’s my first stop of a 6+ week road trip lol.

20. Aug 4, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    4x4offroadMT

4x4offroadMT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Bozeman, MT/Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    255/85/16 st maxx, uws toolbox, CB radio, 5100s, OME 885s, Dakars, Allpro sliders, ARB bumper
    I would suggest lake city area, its slightly less busy then ouray/silverton, there are a couple other areas but then you are further away which means more driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top