1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Volcom Tacoma 2.0 Build Thread and BS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by VolcomTacoma, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Aug 17, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
  2. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    seanaholic

seanaholic Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue Access Cab Prerunner

Yours is great too! Something about that Speedway Blue always pops!

3. Sep 3, 2018 at 8:29 PM
    ColoTacoPrerunner06

ColoTacoPrerunner06 Truck of my dreams

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 Prerunner built like I like it.
    5.5 lift front 4 rear on 33s with an endless amount more work to do
    I wanted a Tacoma this color since it debuted in 04. 14 years later I found this truck... and had the finances to get it. I swapped out to 11 FJ wheels this weekend and I think it is an amazing addition to the speedway blue... but again I'm biased

20180831_191857.jpg

4. Sep 4, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    seanaholic

seanaholic Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue Access Cab Prerunner
    Yea, black wheels really pop off the blue. The contrast is great, kinda like with the white ones. I'm trying to pump some life back into my 06 Prerunner. It's always run well, but I bought it new at the end of 05, so it's been nearly 13 years. Instead of getting a new one, I've been doing some mini mods that change the feel to go with some of the things I've done over time. Tint (30%) on the windows many moons ago but it still looks good. Black housing on head and taillights about 4 years ago and have gotten inspired recently to finally purchase some of the things off my Amazon wish list. haha. Recently changed 3rd brake light to black housing and will be plasti-dipping my wheels within the next couple of weeks until I'm able to get the ones I want. Yours definitely looks good. I want to raise mine 2.5-3", but that's going to take some time too. How high is yours?

5. Sep 4, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Anyways, they're getting sold or painted soon (the fenders). When they were installed they either didn't fit right, or they weren't installed properly, either way, I don't know if I want to waste time/money painting them only to stare at the mounting points fucked up. I'll leave it there, but most likely ordering new ones someday soon and getting them professionally mounted this time.

Here's a random pic from Hollister last week.
    20180825_155429.jpg

ColoTacoPrerunner06 likes this.
  6. Sep 4, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
  7. Sep 4, 2018 at 6:08 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Yessir

BassAckwards likes this.
  8. Sep 4, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Nice, love the build, especially since its a s/c'd 6spd:cheers:

9. Sep 4, 2018 at 6:11 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks mang! Hopefully sometime next year I'll have some spending cash to rebuild everything and get shit painted and just give the truck a bunch of love. Might have to wait for our major 2020 overhaul at work, should be a good full month or two of overtime to pay off all my bills and put some aside for poor Blue :(

BassAckwards likes this.
  10. Sep 4, 2018 at 7:01 PM
    ColoTacoPrerunner06

ColoTacoPrerunner06 Truck of my dreams

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 Prerunner built like I like it.
    5.5 lift front 4 rear on 33s with an endless amount more work to do
    Mine is sitting on cst lift spindles with 2015 trd offroad leaf pack and a deaver add a leaf. I'm installing the matching struts/springs up front soon. Future mods mostly involve getting the bed sorted out for over landing and then bigger tires with another inch or 2 of lift. Cant decide if I want to go cheap with 3rd gen coils and spacers over or just divvy up and get a toytec kit. Best part is that with a prerunner I dont have to worry about all the 4x4 driveline vibes.

seanaholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 4, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    Stop messin' around in my home town without me!

12. Sep 6, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Shoulda came with us! :D

13. Sep 7, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    Is there an event page?

14. Sep 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    No I just posted up in the Norcal page and on my Instagram mostly

15. Dec 13, 2018 at 3:42 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Things are happening...

IMG_20181211_122729_584.jpg
    20181213_154021.jpg
    20181213_154134.jpg

DannyBFresco and rob1208 like this.
  16. Dec 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    So I tore the front end apart over this last week or two. Here was my final list of shit I repaired/replaced-
    LCA Uniball Adaptors-both sides
    New bolts and news for Uniball Adaptors
    New Brake Pads Rotors -EBC Stage whatever for trucks
    Replaced Passenger side Alignment cams-The front one was completely stripped and seized(See pics)
    New Brake line for Passenger side Caliper (Brake line snapped when I twisted caliper up to hang it from the frame to prevent the brake line from snapping(yay)
    New Tie Rod Ends (because I'm an idiot and when they were stuck in the spindle I tried to tap them with a mallet to pop it out (instead of the softblow sitting next to me) and ended up burring the threads beyond repair on each side) ended up having to overnight tie rod ends to get them here in time, no dealers had them in stock and told me next week

So after I got the LCA loose from everything, the front cam shaft/bolt/whatever was seized in the inner uniball on the LCA(no bushings, they have uniballs and misalignment spacers), So I ended up buying a Sawzall and cutting it out. Then I was faced with this-
    fuckthisthing.jpg .jpg

So in the first pic you can see the shaft has serrations on the end, that's because those are what hold the cam tab itself onto that shaft, which popped off when I tried to use the tab to pry out the shaft. So spent several hours questing for a solution. Tried a boat load of Kroil, tried a torch on the thing, and then a can of keyboard cleaning upside down on the inside of the shaft, the shaft laughed at me. So I finally went full Thor on the thing and go the side with the serrations in about 1/4", which is when I realized my eyeballs had lied to me when they said those serrations were the same diameter as the shaft. Turns out they were a fraction wider and were digging into the misalingment spacer the whole way in. At this point I'm like 'fuck it' and start going to town on the inside, which ended up mushrooming the top of the shaft that was sticking out. I went through 3 cutting discs on my dremel trying to cut the mushroom part off, and it laughed some more at me. So then I just started hammering and silently apologizing to the neighbors, finally, Luck! it started coming out the other side. After about 4 long hours, I had the shaft out, stuck to a mislignment spacer, but out of the LCA. Threw it in my press and it popped right out!.

No updated pics of the truck just yet. Cosmetically the thing looks like garbage right now lol. Plans for painting fenders soon whenever I finish cleaning out the garage and have room to set up a paint tent.

As a short term fix I mounted 4 1/2" D rings somewhat in the middle of the bed so I can put 2 spares upright in the bed. I figured two cinch straps over the top to the D rings, and then one across both spares connected to the bed rails keeps them plenty stable. Also plans to finally bust out the welder and build a bolt in dual spare holder for myself. Someday. Haha.

Heading to Pismo tomorrow with 2 new Gopros, should be a blast. Feel free to come out if you're local, I'll be there til Sunday afternoon.

17. Jan 3, 2019 at 1:13 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    My first attempt at editing videos lol. Pismo

18. Jan 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Dude! Your truck was sucking it up , and super smooth!

19. Jan 3, 2019 at 2:27 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I mean, that sand highway didn't have nearly the whup sections that Fence line used to have, but it had some good little sections I could get some speed on! Thanks!

Torspd likes this.
  20. Sep 4, 2019 at 2:36 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Ok updates-
    I did a thing.....jpg
    ECGS Dana 60, 70"WMS, 4.10 gears, Eaton E-Locker
    Front Clamshell with all the ECGS upgrades, 4.10 gears(No locker)

Also have some 285/75/16 Toyo RT's going on. 35s were fun, but honestly just to much work to fit and killing my alignment and stuff. Would rather go faster and have more power with lighter/smaller tires.

Will also be finally installing Solid motor and trans mounts. Will also be installing shortie headers (i know, finally).

Dropping truck off Next thursday for full install of everything. Yay.

Products Discussed in

To Top