1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Volcom Tacoma 2.0 Build Thread and BS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by VolcomTacoma, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Oct 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  2. Oct 15, 2016 at 1:15 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    So you can get rid of the entire smog pump?

3. Oct 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    MPG comment is in reference to the load from the turbo. Not the pump.

4. Oct 15, 2016 at 1:49 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    He removed his for room for the turbo, but the point still remains. To have that knowledge and option to do so.

5. Oct 15, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Interesting! I hate the effing smog pump. It just gets in the way. Ill have to research more into the subject!

SonnyBones likes this.
  6. Oct 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM
    SonnyBones

SonnyBones I VOID WARRANTIES

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffery
    Vehicle:
    2015 TACOMA ACCESS CAB
    Ill be waiting to see if you folks figure something out. Since we've got 2015s, they should be fairly reliable for now right?

7. Oct 17, 2016 at 6:46 AM
    Arcticelf

Arcticelf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    Let me know how you do this, I'm thinking of doing the same.

8. Oct 17, 2016 at 8:40 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Depends how much someone will charge me for a custom aluminum tank to fit around my crossmembers or if I chop up my current crossmember and burn in a new one to fit a tank under the bed and add provisions on the new crossmember for holding the tank (most likely occurring). Then Ill probably build a little box for the pump and accumulator next to the tank and run the lines to the driver side storage box with a quick disconnect for a hose

9. Oct 18, 2016 at 2:58 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I took the 50" radius bar off because of #reasons.

Also, it killed MPG a hair more, and even with stuff along the back of the vanes I could still hear it whistling and making noise on the highway. New plan for what I want now.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. Oct 18, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Feel free to PM me photos and I can see if I can see any reason you may be experiencing the issue and if there is anything I can do about it... @VolcomTacoma

11. Oct 18, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Post Edited, I wasn't trying to slam Eric at all, was just posting what happened but it totally came off wrong. No hate here for Relentless Fab!

12. Nov 22, 2016 at 7:21 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Nothing new on the truck, I'm in a major turnaround at work, so we're working every single day with 1 day off every 2 weeks. It's brutal, but the paychecks aren't :D. Let's just say I've got another shitload of things on the shelf ready to install when I get some free time. And ordering more within the next few days/weeks ;D

13. Nov 22, 2016 at 8:40 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    What's free time... ;)

14. Nov 22, 2016 at 8:59 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Well, I had to burn my last HFA day today, and was only scheduled to have tomorrow off, but after a month of this shit I need 2 days off just to get some free time with the fam and for myself lol. So far, the contractor welders have a 25% pass rate on tube welds. Actually less 2 days ago when our inspectors went in and told them to halt X-ray's as the welds don't even pass a visual inspection. So we were originally slated to start everything back up on the 6th of December and be completely back to normal by the 15th...now they just keep 'making jokes' about what we're doing for Christmas. I'm pretty cut right down the middle of it...on one side I'm exhausted and tired of working with all these guys lol, but then on the other side I see my next paycheck and I'm like....yeah I kinda want this to last in to January so I can basically pay off everything lol

Arcticelf and Dalandser like this.
  15. Nov 25, 2016 at 4:14 PM
    Arcticelf

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    What kind of welding?

16. Nov 25, 2016 at 9:26 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Uhhhh Arc of some sort I believe? I honestly don't know, but they're using argon as well. Sounds like its a combination of inexperienced welders and then their QA inspections team not following through enough

Arcticelf likes this.
  17. Nov 26, 2016 at 6:03 AM
    Arcticelf

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    Never a good combination.

18. Nov 30, 2016 at 2:20 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Turns out they're Tig welding. Looks like they figured their shit out and are actually getting shit done. We had to hammer down on the permits and PPE they were wearing because apparentlt the required fans in the confined space were blowing around the welds. Oki doki, supplied air masks. We've pulled guys out of the box daily when we look in and the mask is around their neck.

Ugh.

In other news, pulled the trigger on 4.88 gears and a rear locker. I know everyone's gonna say do the front locker with the regear but I really just don't feel like I need one, and am waaay to inexperienced with any sort of rock crawling to require a front locker right now.

SonnyBones and Torspd like this.
  19. Nov 30, 2016 at 4:57 AM
    Arcticelf

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    FFS guys. That PPE is to keep you from dieing a horrible lung cancer induced death.

Less experience is more reason to have a front locker, not a reason not to :). I gotta save up some fun coupons for a re-grease and lockers....

20. Nov 30, 2016 at 5:04 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Right? Its ok though, when they come back in 30 years with lung cancer and try to sue the company, we'll have their names on file.

Well, with the LT plus way larger tires, I'd much rather learn without it than get myself in to a situation where I'm grenading CVs because I think I can tackle anything, I KNOW I'm inexperienced at any sort of rock crawling and don't want to get overconfident with dual lockers. Call it a mistake, call it wasted money, but in my head I know how I'll be with dual lockers and know I'll be trying to tackle shit way over my experience level.

Arcticelf likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top