1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VSC and Lift interaction - how common is it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bjmoose, Sep 7, 2010.

?

How did your VSC and Lift interact?

1. I lifted my VSC truck and had NO problems with VSC.

86 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. I lifted my truck and had some problems, but they went away after I did a "zero point calibration."

8 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. I lifted my truck and am continuing to have minor problems, but I'm living with them.

46 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. After I lifted my truck my VSC rendered my truck unsafe/undrivable/really bad so I removed the lift.

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Sep 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's a specified method in the Toyota mechanics instructions if you don't have the equipment. why do you think that they would have mechanic instructions on an unsafe practice?

2. Sep 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    leon387

leon387 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4X4 DC SR5 TRD OR V6 VSC
    OME N140S Shocks&OME 884 Springs Front,OME N182 Shocks,Alcan AAl,Timberen Rear,Devino Rims,Toyo MT265/75R16,Goodridge Brakelines,Undercover,TRD Exhaust,K&N Drop-In,PIAA Bulbs&Blades,Kenwood DNX 8120w/ DVD/Navi/Back-up Camera/160GB ipod,TRD Skid,09-10 LED Tails
    No probs in over 4 years.But I "m still running 32's.With trimming ,cab mount chop & VSC I'm reluctant to move up to 33's.

3. Sep 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    henrydog575

henrydog575 Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 3in taytec
    3in toytec lift uca's
    I installed 3in toytec lift and vsc was going off when going around corners. I recalibrated using the jumper wire method. I will be taking it out tomorrow and giving feed back on if it worked or not. Did this work for anybody? How did they know if they where on level ground?

4. Sep 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    3inch lift and lots of problems with the dealer really being no help

5. Sep 27, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose [OP] Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I installed my OME springs and shocks over the weekend.

In doing it, I noticed the delicate ABS sensor wires going to each hub. These are not your garden variety 5v or 12v power wires - they're carrying a digital signal much like a DSL line does. I was tempted to disconnect the wires during the install, and temporarily route them to safety. However, I had trouble sussing out the clip and ultimately decided to just use extra caution around them.

It would be REAL EASY to pinch one of those wires with one of the heavy components being moved/manipulated/adjusted around when trying to get the new springs and shocks into place! Anyone who'se worked with ethernet knows that damaged wires can create intermittent data errors, while not failing completely.

For those whose VSC is really acting up intermittently and unpredictably - one thing to consider is whether one of those wires might have gotten pinched during the installation. In that case, a possible solution might be to replace one wire (if you know which one you might have damaged) or all of them. No, I don't know how much that would cost. I'm pretty sure the dealer would charge and arm-and-a-leg so you'd want to DIY. You'd need to get the parts from the dealer no matter what.

6. Sep 28, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    3" icon lift, no issues

7. Oct 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    I've been driving a couple days now with my new 285/70R17 tires and haven't had a VSC activation yet. So I'm hopeful that I've dodged this bullet, and I'm finally going to vote in my own poll.

I have one final piece of data for those experiencing problems:

Background: I got my alignment done in two phases, because I dropped it off at the shop, they started the alignment, but needed to fix an unrelated problem before they could finish, and I didn't have time to leave it right then, so I picked it up with an "unfinished" alignment.

But here's the important part: I drove it for two days with the steering wheel not exactly centered. And every time I started it, I'd drive for a hundred feet or so and the VSC light would come on and stay that way for the duration of the trip. The steering position sensor wasn't centered for where the car was driving, and it confused the VSC computer!

It cleared up immediately when I had the alignment job completed and the steering wheel re-centered.

So, for those who are having problems: here's one more thing to check: is your steering wheel position *exactly* centered when the wheels are straight ahead? If it's off by a little bit, that could be confusing the VSC computer. I would expect the "zero point calibration" to recognize and correct this particular state, but who knows for sure?

8. Oct 15, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My truck's VSC was engaging on dry pavement at normal speeds without a lift . When I took it onto the dealership , the tech hooked up the computer to it and the ECU showed a steering value as though the wheel was turned about 10 degrees right when it was straight , also the yaw sensor showed a value that would correspond to the truck leaning about 15 degrees to the left when it was level .

It then made sense to me why my VSC only engaged on right hand corners , the computer thought I was about to do a 180 while rolling over .

I had the Skid control ecu re-flashed and it has improved the situation , it has still engaged on a few occasions but not like it was before .

9. Oct 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    henrydog575

henrydog575 Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 3in taytec
    3in toytec lift uca's
    I had my truck aligned after the lift and the vsc would go off randomly so I talked to a 4x4 shop that does alot of lifts and they said to take it to their guy to do the alignment and reset the vsc. So I did and he told me that my steering wheel clock was out 156 degrees to it was throwing off the vsc. If the company doesnt have the proper equipment or a brain than they can be off . Find someone that knows what they are doing. Dealerships Don't!

10. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    There is a steering position sensor on the steering column that is an input to the VSC computer.

11. Jan 5, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Since we're bumping old polls today, let's at least bump a useful one.

12. Jan 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    henrydog575

henrydog575 Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 3in taytec
    3in toytec lift uca's
    It seemed to do the trick for me!

13. Jan 12, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Swap my lifted 08 with only a slight vibe problem for a lifted troubled 09?

14. Jan 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Lifted. VSC functions perfectly as it did before the lift.

15. Jan 12, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    PIZZLE

PIZZLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver,WA
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 09 TRD Sport
    6" Pro Comp Lift, 35" BFG KM2's on KMC XD Series Rockstars, Front Windows Tinted to Match Back, AEM Brute Force Air Intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Bilstein 5100 Shocks
    I have a 6" pro comp lift on my 09 DC and haven't had any issues. When I purchased the lift, it did say it was for a VSC equipped Tacoma.

16. Jan 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    09 TRD Tacoma, Did 885's with 5100s and a 1/4 top plate spacer + AAL and TSB AAL. So far the only time this has vsc'd me is when I was on our typical tahoe mountain roads, 15 mph corners, and I am going 20. But when it went off it was bad.... Called Reno Toyota since they did the alignment and they said they are going to charge me. Decided to just do the wire trick myself. I will let everyone know. One thing to be stated is that I am running mud tires and there is some slick pavement here. Not saying thats the reason but if you have a sensitivity issue and this pavement issue as-well it doesnt help.

17. Jan 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
  18. Jan 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  19. Jan 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    saltidadyo

saltidadyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sal
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Pro Comp 6inch Lift Kit, Borla cat back, Moto metal 18 inch wheels, Mickey thompson 35 inch Baja's MTZ, Alpine INA 900BT, Thule roof rack, Satoshi Grill, Piaa driving lights on soon to be gone bull bar
    Pro comp 6 inch lift. Right after the lift vsc light came on. But after the alignment and vsc recalibration it has all been fine, for almost 2 mths now. Also the lift kit was vsc compatible if that helps.

20. Feb 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    got the dealer to do the zero point calibration when they did the alignment. No issues after that.

Products Discussed in

To Top