1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waivers

Discussion in 'Military' started by wesrunner, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner [OP] Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    So I was just dissaproved for my waiver to join the Air Force... I feel my recruiter was incompetent from the beginning, although I don't know if that was a factor... Pretty depressed right now... :(

All because of a surgery I had 15 years ago...

Honestly I'd like to confront the guy who said no...

Even if he still says no, I'd just like to have him look me in the eye when he says it... Ya know? That'd be the decent thing to do IMHO...

83 on the ASVAB too...

2. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner [OP] Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    Yeh... I didn't even make it to MEPS. She sent my Med Docs in and 28 days later I called to ask her if she'd heard anything since she never calls, and she said it was a no go.

It was pretty funny actually, because as I called her I was at the Toyota dealership waiting for my truck to get finished at the Firestone next door, looking at the new Tacoma's thinking about which one's I'd be able to make a DP on after I got out of BMT. :rolleyes:

3. Oct 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner [OP] Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    Pretty much. :(

4. Oct 22, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Stick around. In another ten years of so there will be another war or two and not only will they approve your waiver but you'll get a big bonus as well.

Getting your waiver disapproved was nothing personal. It's just that you tried to join in the middle of a huge downsizing of the military

LINK

And it's not just the Air Force, all services are cutting their numbers

5. Oct 22, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    phatdrew

phatdrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    dover, de
    2" lift, 17" pro comp wheels, 285x70x17 micky t's, billet grill
    Sorry about your luck man. I've been in almost 6 years and it was hell for me to get my waiver pushed through. I had a mild knee surgery when i was a senior and it took the af almost 4 months to make a decision. He's right though. The af just got rid of another 3000 people I believe and they are considering firing more people. With all the budget cuts, the whole military is downsizing.

6. Oct 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    bummer man, sorry to hear. it could be worse though

i was over half way done with the PJ pipeline when a shoulder injury i sustained while at combat dive eliminated me from training and a med discharge from the AF... it was a cock tease to say the least

give the other branches a shot... the worst they can say is no.

dont give up after 1 attempt

7. Oct 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Sucks dude. I kinda know the feeling. I got denied from the AF because of a DUI I had. Oh well, lesson learned...

8. Oct 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner [OP] Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    Thanks guys. My plan was Army, but I chose Airforce because I figured I could get a lot out of my score, and my mother didn't want me on the "front lines."

The Funny thing is the DAY i got rejected the Navy called me about their Nuclear Engineering Program. I'm going to look into that further.

Right now I'm just gonna take a few months to get myself straight with my finances and work. Give my self somemore time to work on my truck. :)

Gonna have to retake the ASVAB.

Part of me wants to just go to the Army guys and enlist without mentioning my issue and see how far I get in MEPS... But if it'd hurt my chances of enlisting later when a waiver would be easier to attain, I wouldn't want to take that chance.

9. Oct 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would not try that "not mentioning it" thing. Most DoD databases are tied together- so it might not get caught the first or second time- but it will catch up with you at some point.
    And you are in a crappy time/situation for getting into the military. There are lots of folks who don't need a waiver for anything applying and they are taking less and less people all the time....So there are a lot of things working against you.
    Give another service a shot....Good luck!!

10. Oct 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Keep at it. Look at alternate ways to get it pushed through, even if you have to go through a different branch to do so. Different branches have different waiver systems.
    or just keep trying to push it through.

I was dq'd from meps before I even showed up because of cateracts surgeries I had a few years ago. Went to the rotc, and they're trying to send a waiver through for me.
    if that doesn't work, my old recruiters will try to push the papers through meps again
    if that doesn't work, the NG recruiter said hell try
    if that doesn't work, the Air Guard recruiter said she can try

Don't give up after 1 no!

11. Oct 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    Check into the other branches, but still do your research on the jobs you want and which ones are available. The second to go rushing into it you're going to get boned with a bullshit job....

12. Oct 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    You can always try again with a different recruiter. Just because one guy couldn't do it dosen't mean another one can't. I would try a different AF recruiter if I were you. I went to one who didn't help so I went to the next county and scored. I've been in the AF for nine years, if there is anything that is true in the AF it's that there is a waiver for everything. If it's not waivered todat it may be tomorrow. I SSgt don't give a $hit can't do it, maybe Senior amn I enjoy my job can. I've been enlisted and Officer. If you get your degree there may be even more incentive for the AF to pick you up as on Officer too. I would get a copy of all the crap they submitted for you and what forms (waivers and Exeption to Policies) they may have filed for you so you know exactly what the deal is. Some dude who says " It's not looking good," dosen't mean crap to me if he can't tell me why it dosen't look good and how far it got... then you can figure out how to tackle it again. Your ASVAB score is great. Force shaping is kicking people out left and right but that dosen't mean they stop taking people in until the numbers match. It's a big web of politics and you just need to intertwine yourself into it so you can find the "rule" thats on your side. There are many rules and regulations. Don't give up and don't settle if it is what you want. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I will give you whatever advice I can. The Air Force is great place, just a small pain in the ass sometimes.

13. Oct 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner [OP] Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    Thanks. I'm definately going to look more into it! :thumbsup:

14. Oct 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    If you ever want any perspective or info, just say the word. If it's what you want, don't ever give up.

15. Oct 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    not sure how it is now... but years ago it was harder to get into the air force due to their current enlistment numbers... they would make mission for the month before that month even started. at that current time the army was taking more people. so maybe you would be qualified for army or navy depending on your surgery. also if a certain recruiter needs to make mission try your luck with the second part of a month.

16. Nov 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    Give some serious consideration to the Navy, especially if they are offering you a nuclear rating. Sure it means lots of time on ships, but the money you will make for sign-on and reenlistment bonuses is ridiculous. Great advancement opportunities to boot.

By the way, I was turned down by the Air Force out of high school due to my fondness for the doobage. The Navy, on the other hand, welcomed me with open arms. That was 19 years ago. I've had a great career with zero regrets.

Products Discussed in

To Top