1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want 2" lift. Do I use shocks/AAL or spacers/blocks?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TacomaMatt, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Raz4back

Raz4back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    Thanks man, I ended up going with the single aal.

2. Sep 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    cshinn89

cshinn89 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    PA
    Vehicle:
    23 Tacoma Off Road 6 speed MT 05 Tacoma Off Road 6 speed MT

did you wind up replacing the rear shocks as well. i'm looking into this same mod and am seeing a lot of people saying to replace those with the 5100's as well. my only issue is the rear 5100s say they only support up to 1" of lift.

3. Sep 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    TacomaMatt

TacomaMatt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD OR AC 4.0L
    5100s x4; Front @ 2.5 & 1.5" AAL, Truxedo Lo Pro, WeatherTech window deflectors & floor mats
    I did replace the rear shocks. I wanted the valving to match the front. There are two sizes, 1" and 3". I got the 1" shocks but got closer to 2" of lift from the AAL. The shocks handle it well and I'm very pleased with the ride.

4. Sep 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Raz4back

Raz4back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    Ive got 5100s on the rear too. I have the 0-1.5 rear shocks and they ride great. Depending on the type of off roading you do you shouldnt have any issues. Ive had my truck on some pretty rough, washed out trails and the rear shocks have performed perfectly.

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    cshinn89

cshinn89 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    PA
    Vehicle:
    23 Tacoma Off Road 6 speed MT 05 Tacoma Off Road 6 speed MT
    Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I just wanted to make sure that the 5100s would handle the 2" that the AAL gives. Okay i'm going for it, I'll keep you up to date. I'm doing that and grinding down my frame and undercoating it all at once due to excessive rust.

6. Oct 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    MT4banger

MT4banger Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 4x4
    5100s @0" Toytec Eibach coils and 5100s on rear w/ 2" AAL, 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers up front, Deck plate mod, Fog light mod, 2 1/4" catback exhaust, DougThorley Headers, Truxedo lo-profile tonneau cover, Rhino ben liner, Tow package, Step rails, Tinted windows, Kenwood KBX-800 deck, Kenwood 1000amp, JL 10" sub w/ Stealth box,
    Any updates? I just got my billies today from Downsouth motor and now deciding which AAL's. Highly interested in how your's turns out.

7. Oct 15, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    jermoids

jermoids Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    17x9 Fuel Mavericks +1 offset 265/65/17 duratracs NFAB Epyx step sides AVS hood protector Thule xsporter pro rack Weathertech floor liners Tacoma rubber bed mat
    care to elaborate on your experience?
    i was thinking of getting a 1" for the back.
    didn't think that small of a block would be that big of a deal...

8. Oct 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    TacomaMatt

TacomaMatt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD OR AC 4.0L
    5100s x4; Front @ 2.5 & 1.5" AAL, Truxedo Lo Pro, WeatherTech window deflectors & floor mats
    Initially I had a vibration on takeoff and around 55 mph. It bothered me quite a bit. I'm not sure if the truck settled (haven't measured it since the day I lifted it) or if the vibes created additional wear but the vibration is bearly noticeable now.

It still rides nice and handles fine. I'm happy with the way it turned out still and the decisions I made on the front and rear lift. Had I gone with the 2 inch AAL in the rear the vibes would be a lot worse and I would have kept the same type of rake it had stock. I have a slight rake with just the right amount of lift.

I had an issue getting the aligment within spec (camber I think) but I asked multiple experts and showed them the alignment report and they said it wouldn't hurt anything or cause irregular wear on the tires. So far they were 100% correct.

I have the original tires on it still. I'm waiting until they are completely worn then I will get slightly bigger tires. I think the beefer tires will finish it off.

Products Discussed in

To Top