1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want a new shop vacuum.........help

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Pablo8, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Jan 19, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 [OP] Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    I ordered the DeWALT 12 gallon Poly Wet/Dry Vac,Yellow,DXV12P- seemed like a good balance of features, noise, size, value.

I already gave the Shop-Vac away. Sick of that thing.

Martyinco likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2021 at 12:43 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 [OP] Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    Of course it is not as quiet as I wanted, but it's not nasty loud either. It's acceptable. Assembly was easy and I love the accessory holder. Most importantly the vacuum is strong in this one.

3. Jan 20, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    averagejp

averagejp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black Tacoma Extended Cab
    Work in progress
    Couple of things worth considering ... the Rigid is a pretty darn good vacuum cleaner for a shop. I have two and love them.

First, you can get a noise diffuser that helps a fair amount. We are not talking dead silence, of course, but it does really lower the volume:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuums-VT2525/100037235

Second, if you go with a Rigid, spring for this hose. It is softer and so much easier to work with. Really reduces the frustration level when you are moving the Rigid around:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuums-LA2570/305626336

Third, I have found this little kit helpful for cleaning my truck and car. Totally worth it:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuums-VT2534/100638355

The other good thing about the Rigid, as has been pointed out, you can get the filters pretty much all the time.

Hope you find that useful ...

:)

Sig45, wmb67, Banggerr and 1 other person like this.
  4. Feb 3, 2021 at 11:25 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 [OP] Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    I have been using/abusing the heck out of my vac the last couple weeks. Time for a report. Wow this thing really sucks hard. No complaints at all.

Whomever suggested the pool sock thingie over the filter (basically a rough prefilter) freAKING GENIUS - GREAT IDEA. As I said I have been vacuuming everywhere, tons of junk - THREE LARGE BAGS FULL. When I get the place clean and or move to my new wood shop, I will go bagless. The large canister filter yes gets the tiny stuff but seems like the sock does me a great favor. Easiest just to throw the prefilter away and put a new one on. The only thing is the size I got just barely fits the filter element. Fits as a tube, more than a sock because it will not fit the whole length, so I must slice the closed end. Doesn't seem to matter much.

With bag and filter, I see no dust blown out.

I did buy a new super duty DeWalt hose, some fittings, a filter and a box of bags. The new hose is way better than the supplied hose but it's not quite the accordion style I was expecting. But is sure nice to connect both hoses together (with an aftermarket coupler fitting) OR use the old hose on the output to move that portion of the noise spectrum away from the business end. Exhaust air ported toward an open door for example, or even put another sock on it. The funny fitting is the size reducer to 1 1/4" (?) man that sucker whistles really loud - It could pull the paint off a 2020 MB.

So far I am pleased with my purchase. It's a large beast so space is a factor. Size is a blessing and curse. Noise is just a curse. Plan is to enclose it fully eventually at a new place.

5. Feb 3, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    shift957

shift957 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cacapon River, WV
    Vehicle:
    11 AC OR
    I see I'm a little late to the game, but figured this info could be relevant for future use. There's a YouTube channel called Project Farm, and the host does great tests on products which can help you make a decision on which one is right for you.

I thought of this video when I saw the title of the thread. Check it out -- or not. :thumbsup:

shakerhood likes this.
  6. Feb 3, 2021 at 1:25 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 [OP] Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks.Not a real fan of the guy, sometimes his testing is OK other times very biased and 100% hokey. I appreciate his effort and I think he IS HONEST. Way more than most of us would do. The smaller DeWalt did pretty good in that test as I recall.

7. Feb 3, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  8. Feb 3, 2021 at 1:40 PM
    shift957

shift957 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cacapon River, WV
    Vehicle:
    11 AC OR
    Well, I find his videos informative on tools I'm not familiar with. As far as bias, I feel like PF videos probably have less bias than a forum of random folks. lol...

I have 2 Rigid vacs, one smaller and the largest (when I bought it) and am very happy with both. I highly recommend the brand, but realize there's probably something better out there. Especially for a specific need

I do like how PF shows strengths and weaknesses of each product and includes a wide range of products ($ to $$$) when possible.

9. Feb 3, 2021 at 1:58 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 [OP] Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    By BIAS I don't mean intentional. I have chatted with him and he understands where I am coming from and there is no animosity at all. Naturally he is limited by budget/time/manpower. An example would be sucking sand out of a container, left hand v. right hand and declaring a winner by .05 seconds. That sort of thing. His non-standard testing of motor oil is another. I often comment on his videos and I have never seen him do anything so crappy that there should be an outcry. For vacuums he isn't generally wrong about which vacs might be better. He does show strengths and weakness, for that but not side by side, I like boltr/ave.

10. Feb 3, 2021 at 1:59 PM
    Boco10

Boco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ADK
    Blowes dewalts are pretty decent and not as loud as shop vac

IMG_20210203_164500398.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top