1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

want a nice ride for potholes - i also need a terminology lesson

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by packfan88, May 19, 2011.

1. May 22, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads

dude....you really think a 4 word answer to a page long discussion is going to help the topic at hand?

Or are you just trying to get a +1 to our post count?

2. May 22, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    So bascially you have nothign to offer to the topic. thanks i guess.

3. May 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    No....My suggestion was leave 10 mins earlier and save your self a few 100 bucks up front and potentially 1000's in damages lat

But since none of us can possibly understand how bad the NYC potholes are...You'll need to spend the most money you can on a long travel set up and then pound the streets...Let us know how it goes!!!

4. May 22, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    :ohsnap:

haha. but what i would suggest would be a billy 5100 life all around with an AAL in the rear. I would also look into possibly. (might look kinda goofy with a lift and stock tires) But the prices in billys are supposed to go up about a 100 dollars so jump on it fast. i personally try and avoid pot holes since my truck (single cab) is so light it just gets squirmy at times. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with deciding :D

5. May 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA

Im not opposed to getting new tires and rims. Im actually getting to near the end of life on the stock tires from when it was new. about to click over 60k imles so new tires are coming soon anyway.

thats kinda what im talking about....sometimes it its like riding over whoop-dee-dos on a moto track. then it starts to shimmy. on one side i have a crazy cab driver on the other i have someone who decides at the last second she wants to stop and double park. ther eisnt much choice but to go foward into the land mines and take the brunt of the road. my question is how do i make it less likely to put me out of the rat race and on the side line with a problem (tire, rims, shock, ect).

6. May 22, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    well then if you are willing to drop about 6grand if not more go with LT. But with that and being in a city it makes your truck wider. so that might cause some problems as well.

7. May 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I only needed 4 words to answer the question. That's the best option IMO. Go ahead and add a $1000 adjustable coilover to your truck. It's not going to make the ride over a pothole any better.

8. May 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    When you get new tires get them In a lower load range...like c would probably do you well.

And my opinion still stands on the adjustable coilover set up. like fox or king

9. May 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA

and the internet amazes me again.

10. May 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    why does the internet amaze you? because the OP doesnt realize that hitting pot holes at high speeds is going to fuck up his truck? or is it because everyone here is just telling him to slow down and not give him any kind of advice that MIGHT help his situation a little bit? excuse me for trying to suggest something that will better his situation. i bet you money that an adjustable coilover would help the ride quality over pot holes compared to the crappy stock suspension. sure there are other components that can break too...so while we are at it why dont we throw in some camburg 1.5" uniball UCA to make sure his ball joints dont break and who know maybe they will help with the road wandering.

edit-----and i didnt realize you were the OP.....

11. May 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    notice the edit haha....i posted it and looked at his post again and saw that he was the op:eek:

12. May 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    :anonymous: it seriously was like 5 sec after i postged that i edited it too :laugh:

13. May 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    well i have better things to do now:D ill chime in on my phone every now and then to keep you busy:p

14. May 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    I have driven in NY and understand (I think) what the OP is asking for. The roads there are just unbelievably rough. Actually Brooklyn and Queens have it really bad.

It has nothing to do with wanting to fly 40mph through the potholes. Anyone who has ever driven there would know, you probably couldn't hit 40 on city streets if you wanted to.

The point is, if one has to drive over the rough surface at 10 mph, is there something that could be done to the suspension to make the ride easier on the driver and the truck?

And to all saying just drive around it. You can't. When they do work on underground pipes, they do it mostly at night. So they dig a big ass hole, work on it all night, then drop a huge steel plate over it during the day that everyone has to drive over.
    I have damn near high centered a rental trying to drive over those things...And they are everywhere.

15. May 22, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

LMAO- Don't come to New Orleans in anything less than a tank then. Cause I've seen roads here that I can't believe are legal. I've driven most of NYC at some point and I haven't seen anything there that made me balk like the French Quarter does.

16. May 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...

With as much work as I have done in the Covington/Slidell area, I have never actually been in New Orleans... But between that fact that its the French Quarters and its built on top of whats basically sand. That doesn't surprise me.

17. May 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    This isnt a pissing contest who has the worst roads. The facts are there are lots of shitty roads everywhere. But when compared to cities like Atlanta that have 90% Super Highways leading in and out of the city its easy to say NY is worse. Sure, you can find some shitty roads down there. But I dont live there. Im looking for pothole driving in NY.

Like A7xTaco said about going around them...you cant. I have aplace to be at a certain time and nothign is goign to change. tahst why im here...to change the truck (cause that CAN change).

Im just trying to get advice. I dont want advice on how to avoid them....id go to a mapquest forum not a suspension forum. Im not looking for advice on how to wake up earlier so i can leave earlier so i can drive slower so i can drive over pot holes slower. Id go to an alarm clock salesmen site for that.

If the only advice you can offer is NOT related to improving the ride of a truck over potholes, I guess youre replies arent really necassary since they will NOT help.

Archido...i meant it amazes me cause its typical internet topics. One post you have someone swearing up and down nothing I do will make it any better and the factory setup is the absolute best way to go. Some peopel would argue the sun is made of water and the moon is actually made from cheese.
    While I find those suspension statements 100% WRONG, i think its funny how something based on opinion (like how nice a ride is) can be so clearly dismissed and "not going to help" when they have no idea if my opinion will change or not. How can you say adding different suspension components wont make the ride better to me? Thats like saying you wont like the movie The Godfather cause there are too many actors in it.

/rant (going to lay off the Jack Daniels for a bit).

18. May 22, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA

ive been to the french quarter twice....never hit a single pothole. does that mean you dont have them?

19. May 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    Move out of NY like I did :) ...seriously though I think the only thing that will make a big difference would be to lower your tire pressure - a lot. But that's not very realistic considering gas mileage.

20. May 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    bowhunter11199

bowhunter11199 Well-Known Member

Member:

lol :laugh:.... i dont think he needs to go that far.... mabey sas.... then he could destroy the pot holes. jk :D

Products Discussed in

To Top