1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want a small, low power audio amp for CB

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rocket_scientist, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    rocket_scientist

rocket_scientist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern VA
    I have a cobra 75 ready to install, but I want to add an external speaker. I have added in rear speakers and no longer use the factory ones in the roof. I want to add in a small, cheap amplifier that connects to the Cobra 75 audio out port and then to the factory rear speakers. I thought about just hooking the CB into the aux input on my head unit, but I want to be able to hear the CB and music when on the road (like when I drive from NC to CA next month). Anyone have a suggestion? I am looking for something small and cheap, not so worried about high quality, just cheap and small enough that I can fit (hopefully) under the center console.

2. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    You really dont need an amp IMO-the 2-2.5 watt output of the CB, when put to the right external communications speaker specifically tuned for voice, can blow your eardrums. Radio shack has a couple decent ones or Ham Radio Outlet (very reliable online) has a good supply of great comm speakers. Then it's just a matter of mounting it where it will point up in the direction of your ears.

3. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.

I agree, just plug your CB into a small speaker made for it. That should be more than loud enough and it can be mounted in an inconspicuous place that no one will see. I have a small speaker for my Ham radio...I think it's a Kenwood speaker that is about 4"X4" square and about an inch thick. Its velcroed to the carpet under the backseat in my double cab. No one sees it and no one kicks it and its plenty loud.

Products Discussed in

To Top