1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want the Auto tranny!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RelentlessFab, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jan 10, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    I love my a/t

2. Jan 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    i hate when i floor my auto.... it slows down for a sec and shifts down.... i hate that.... and you can drift betta with a manual....

but i still love my auto more!!!! lol

just remember... when ur passenger is leaning over you dont want her shifting your truck... plus..... if your extra special and in the city.... stop and go traffic wont be good

3. Jan 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I"m jealous of you guys...I wish I loved my auto. I don't think I'm being picky...oh well, I'll just wait till it blows up and hope I'm in warentee. I gues it aint that bad but I know it isn't as smooth as it should be.

Problem is, its not bad enough that I think I could ever get a dealer to fix it. They just look at me like I'm being to picky and tell me its normal. I've been to 3 dealers and they all tell me the same thing. At least if I knew what it was I could get it fixed as I bribe the service people, lol....

4. Jan 11, 2009 at 2:00 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab [OP] Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    wow, havent been back on all day 'til now and looks like i've gotten some serious comments on this! The reason i got the Manual in the 1st place was because i was driving a '95 chevy 1/2 ton with 140K miles and the auto was kinda sloppy and didnt shift when i really wanted. Thus, i wanted to shift my own gears and i got a great deal on my Taco, roughly $300 under invoice. I did test drive an auto but the only one they had optioned roughly the way i'd want was a indigo ink and i didnt want a dark color since i knew it would show scratches and it was $2K more on top of that.
    I now know that the manual isnt as polished as some of the other manuals out there and for technical 'wheelin as well as all the towing i do, it simply isnt the best choice. Im sure i'll wish i could shift manually some times(damn, why doesnt it have the system like the Tundra's tranny!?) but it'll be much less than the time that i realize i'm glad to have the auto.
    The other point would be to get a TRD OR packaged truck for the locker and more comfortable seats, as well as the possibility for the double cab for extra space and comfort. I'd end up going with a used truck i'm sure though so its almost an even trade, then swap my mods over onto the other truck.
    This is just somthing im considering at the moment. I'll have to find an accepable truck and do some number crunching to make sure it makes sense though of course.

5. Jan 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    jonl9

jonl9 Jonl9

Member:
    Eastern North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, Xtra cab, towing package
    The advice I have heard has always been that a well cooled automatic (a major reason for a tow package) was far better than a manual shift when you are hauling a trailer. The fluid in the transmission takes up the slip where as the clutch faces in a manual takes the added stress in wear. So I was told. I happen to be very impressed with the automatic in my 06 Tacoma. It is almost seamless in its shifting, it seems to adapt when hauling a 4,000 pound camper and always does the right thing unobtrusively. May it last well!

6. Jan 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab [OP] Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Yeah i can see that. When maneuvering with a trailer i regularly have to slip the clutch backing up into tight spaces, or even starting out on a hill. I'm starting to get tired of the burnt clutch smell all the time(know it really can't be good for it to happen so regularly) and its not like i can just stop using it to tow things. I mean really, thats the reason i have a truck, for the 4x4 and since i always haul stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top