1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

want to build sliders and bumpers for my truck

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SargeSlapnuts, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    SargeSlapnuts

SargeSlapnuts [OP] SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD 4x4 converted PreRunner SR5 lifted l
    255/85-16 tires, front push bar w/9000lb winch, driver and passenger windows tinted to match factory rear tint, quick at home spray on bedliner, hid's, lifted with 3"toytec rear lift kit and ome front lift, locked with powertrax, and a cb radio in place of ash tray, fog light mod, diff breather mod, greasable shackles, Home made Baja Rack, "extra" bright reverse lights. also converted to 4x4 safari snorkel
    does anyone have plans for sliders, and a front and rear bumper for a xtra cab prerunner. i would like the bumpers to have wrap around protection for the sides of the truck also. i had my first wake up call this weekend at durham town and tagger a dirt wall with the front left of the truck and bent the piss outta my stock bumper.
    oh yeah need to fit the winch in the front bumper also

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    Johnnie

Johnnie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
  3. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Elite FTW or go tube and get TrailGear's

Its rumored that Elite is going to start making tube bumpers, keep a look out!

4. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    255/85-16 tires, front push bar w/9000lb winch, driver and passenger windows tinted to match factory rear tint, quick at home spray on bedliner, hid's, lifted with 3"toytec rear lift kit and ome front lift, locked with powertrax, and a cb radio in place of ash tray, fog light mod, diff breather mod, greasable shackles, Home made Baja Rack, "extra" bright reverse lights. also converted to 4x4 safari snorkel
    come on chad you know im a poor sunofabitch. it would be much better for me to build my own! did get the fog light back in and had to cut out some of the plastic fender well but im good now

5. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    i dunno what the steel supply is like where your at but here in phx they want over 5/ft for 1 3/4 .120 dom tubing... so thats gunna be well over $100 for 20ft after taxes

so if you dont mess up at all and make it 100% perfect the first time your still gunna be spending quite a bit.. im trying to go the same route but im trying to go through a friend that knows the owner of a local yard and im hoping i can get it for like..... $1/ft im probably only dreaming for that price though

6. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    01Tac0ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    man you will pay rigth at the same thing for AP as you would any one else.

EDIT: Hold one, are we talkin sliders or bumpers? sliders you can deffinatly manage to build yourself. i cang et you 2 20 ft sticks for about $150 if you wanted, same stuff i built mine out of, and you know they take a beating!

7. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    go to TTORA and search "bumper" or "Sliders" in the fab section. You'll have days of reading and ideas there lol.

8. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    i realize but my father is big in the construction industry and talked to one of his pipefitter buddies about fabing all this up and of course the majority of steel would be free. the guy that might do it talking about making them out of high grade stainless. just dunno how to weld that to the frame.

9. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    BFA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    is it DOM tubing? if it is id hop on that cage my truck bumpers sliders light bars maybe even throw on a flux capacitor

10. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    01Tac0ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    sliders i say build yourself, especially if you got someone giving you supplies, but bumper id go somewere other than AP

11. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    i wouldn't buy an all pro but i like the desing with the longer side wrap arounds and the lower radiator protection. i know all pro make some shotty stuff. not saying it wont work but i would like to be able to do dumb stuff and not worry about bending a steel bumper

12. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    BFA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    id get a trailgear front bumper
    that thing is awesome check out boxrocket he has one on his 1st gen

13. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Bluefield, WV
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner with No-slip locker
    4WD Conversion, No-slip locker, 5100s set at 2.5" and shackles in the back. Black 2nd gen rims, and Courser M/T tires, Bull Bar,Fog lights, UWS toolbox, CB Radio, Fiberglass antenna, 2nd Gen Badges, Deck Plate Mod, Diff Breather Mod, Sockmonkey decals.
    Sliders you could def build, but I would buy a bumper, just for the winch mount.

14. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    trail gear sells a winch mount that bolts up to factory mount points. the mount is meant to have a bumper build around it so i might just take that route

15. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    You confuse me. Unless you get all of the materials for free it's going to cost more to build them yourself especially if you consider the cost of your time. I'm one of those guys that enjoys building my own stuff when I can too. I like having a project. But there are some things that are just easier to not have to build on your own. A front bumper is one of those things if you can find a design you like from somewhere that already makes them. I would be less worried about an All Pro bumper than I would a homemade one since your questions clearly show you are not a highly experienced fabricator. No offense.

As for sliders....yeah they're pretty simple to build. Please do not do them out of stainless. You'll be much better off with DOM especially if you're going to weld them to the frame. Again, if you can get the materials for free, then go for it. If not, you are going to be hard pressed to custom build any for less than you could buy a set of Trail-Gear sliders, and they'll work just as well.

rear bumpers are typically pretty simple and straight forward, unless you are towing frequently. If you tow it's worth your time to engineer them a little better to handle that kind of load. Otherwise it can be pretty basic and work well.

16. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    BFA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    or you can do that too, maybe you should get a 10 ft section of I-Beam from that construction site chop it in half and mount them from and back then youll have the bulletproofest 1st gen

17. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    well thanks for the shot at my fabrication skills there. i cant say im the best fabricator only being 22 but i can say i have done a ton more fabrication than most my age. i can't promise ill be able to pull off a front bumper. but im sure if i take my time i could possibly come up with a pretty nice bumper for next to nothing.

im thinking to keep weight low but improve strength is to use a light grade of dom tubing and brace it inbetween with steel plate (think a little diamond plate). dunno im throwing around ideas right now and trying to decide wether im gonna order a premade winch mount to build the bumper off of or fab up my own design.

18. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    SargeSlapnuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
  19. Mar 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    malander

malander That's some tight butthole

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    I made a design up for some square tube sliders somewhere. Might be in my gallery. Will probably gonna tryand build them this summer if I don't end up going to vandy for 6 weeks. I never really liked the thought of building tube sliders. Being a perfectionist I feel like I just wouldn't be able to get the angles right. But hey take a shot with what you have and if you don't like it cave in and buy some trail gear Dom sliders for cheap. On that note, anyone know where trail gear gets their Dom?

20. Mar 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Bluefield, WV
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner with No-slip locker
    4WD Conversion, No-slip locker, 5100s set at 2.5" and shackles in the back. Black 2nd gen rims, and Courser M/T tires, Bull Bar,Fog lights, UWS toolbox, CB Radio, Fiberglass antenna, 2nd Gen Badges, Deck Plate Mod, Diff Breather Mod, Sockmonkey decals.
    Nope. But you can get a set of there sliders cheap, like for $175, not fully welded or $209 fully welded, that's cheap!! I might do that. And there bumper is only $369.

To Top