1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

want to join USMC

Discussion in 'Military' started by 98Tacoma, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    Again Air force. they have a motor pool and is the only branch that guarantees you will do what you get trained for. unless its changed in the last 20yrs.

2. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    98Tacoma

98Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    k&N intake, 40 flowmaster turndown, westin brushguard,10 inch JL sub, alpine cd player.painted black tool box. bilstein 5100s 3inch Ebiach springs all around and toytec aal. mickey thompson beadlocks. and 33inch goodyear duratracs
    yes sir i have been researching alot of this. also my recruiter said that i need to probly choose about 3 different mos because they will put me where they need me. thank you for your help and the informaton. talking to marines such as yourself will help me make the decisions that i need to.

3. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    SantaCruz'n

SantaCruz'n Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    Saving for the 2013
    I second this.

4. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    k&N intake, 40 flowmaster turndown, westin brushguard,10 inch JL sub, alpine cd player.painted black tool box. bilstein 5100s 3inch Ebiach springs all around and toytec aal. mickey thompson beadlocks. and 33inch goodyear duratracs
    my frined just got back from afghan he was with 3/6 and he siad while he was over there did some operations with 1/6

5. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    yup, 03killalot

[​IMG]

6. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    if you wanna work on engines... join the Navy... you'll be doing that right off the bat, marine engines (i.e boats and ships) not truck engines but the Navy prepares you for real life while the Marines just teach you discipline and how to shoot accurately...

the Marines will just screw you around and dump you into some BS job or infantry that YOU don't want... yes, TV teaches us that Marines are cool, Marines are tough, yes yes... but most of the jobs the corps wants you to do won't line up with the jobs you want to do. You work for the corps... let the Navy work for you.

btw, I've sampled MREs and watched some Marines dig trenches... but why would I do that... first I'm in the Navy (theres no trenches at sea), second I'm an Officer... :D

kidding, Marine, I have respect for the corps... but this kid sounds like he wants more than what the corps will shove down his throat

7. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    SantaCruz'n

SantaCruz'n Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    Saving for the 2013
    OP, dont listen to this guy hes an Officer. :D

8. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    good post, but the same can also be said about the Air Force, not just the Navy.

9. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    yeah but Navy has a winning Football team... not much can be said about the Chair.... airforce :D

10. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    true dat :laugh:

11. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Seriously, if you want a specific job then the USN and USAF are the best way to go... they both guarantee a specific job if you qualify for it... especially Mechanic (since most people don't want that) the USMC will just jerk you around and dump you were it needs you the most which could be almost anywhere.

If you must be a Marine then be prepared to not get the job you want

12. Dec 16, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    OP why did you ask if I was 1/6?
    If you want some sort of specific skill then look elsewhere.

But if you want to be a part of something great, join the Marine Corps infantry.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW4Gm5uFYQk

13. Dec 16, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    Damn... if that ain't inspirational, I don't know what is...

14. Dec 17, 2010 at 2:49 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    OP, no matter what MOS, get in shape first. Find out how many push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups you have to do to pass boot camp and how fast you have to run a mile. Be able to to that stuff BEFORE you swear in. When the D.I. is yelling at you like you were a mile away, even though he's an inch from your face, remember it's not personnel but that all recruits are equally worthless. Good luck and thank you for choosing to serve your country.

15. Dec 17, 2010 at 4:14 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock

AF is 8-4 this yearand beat both Army and Navy and won the Commander and Chiefs Trophy......

The OP wants to work on NRAPS, obviously that's not going to happen in the AF. If you want to work on vehicles, you can work on the mighty Chevy Imapla for our police force :D or the powerful Chevy Silverado 1500 for our Logistic readiness guys, or a 42 pax bus for our post shuttle service :eek:

Then again you can always work on the engines of a $200M F-22 Raptor fighter jet?

So let me see perks of the AF: You get to live a comfortable lifestyle, no need to live on a boat for 6 months, and our uniforms are less hideous than what the navy's got going on ;) Joining any service is a great thing...good luck on your decision.

16. Dec 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    OP why did you ask if I was 1/6?
    If you want some sort of specific skill then look elsewhere.

But if you want to be a part of something great, join the Marine Corps infantry.

i asked because i know a guy that is in 3/6 and i believe 1/6 and 3/6 were in combat together but im not completely sure.

well i would like to work on any vehicle like the mraps but am willing to work on any vehicle that they may need me to. i still have some time to decide and infantry may at sometime become the mos that i would like

17. Dec 17, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    i try to work out everyday and im able to a good number or pull ups push ups and crunches and i believe i have pretty good endurance. i know that the d.i. will beak you down and build you up to make you stronger mentally and physically. i try to look at it is they are doing that for my benefit not just becuase they dont like me.lol

18. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

... ^^^ ... Well said & very true ... Grasshopper ... :D

19. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    The Army guarantees you will get the training you signed up for. The only way you end up doing a different job is if you fail out of the school you initially enlist for, then you are reassigned to "the needs of the Army." You can also be detailed out of your MOS for special duty assignments, but that does not happen too frequently. That being said, all jobs are not available all the time. It depends on the MOS strength, or staffing numbers, for a particular MOS. That is all tracked and determined by HRC. That is how they determine what jobs are open, which jobs may earn you a bonus, and will eventually influence how quickly you are promoted later in your career.

Go see a recruiter, take your asvab, and weigh your options. Even if you are set on becoming a Marine, go visit the other recruiters: Army, Navy, Airforce, and the Coasties. It never hurts to know all the options and make an informed decision. You'll find that regardless of what branch you serve, there are still people out there that will talk shit. It is because, hopefully, everybody has pride in what they do. A Marine will think they are the baddest, just like a Soldier will probably think the same thing. Truth is, everyone has a unique mission, and they are all vital to our joint objectives. So whether you are combat arms or support, it takes an entire team to function meet mission success.

PS: I'm a former Active Duty Army medical NCO getting ready to attend OCS and will branch transportation, because I'm assigned to an Army Reserve Heavy Equipment Transportation Company. So my perspective is probably different from those DICKs that posted before. And gentlemen, I call you DICKs as a compliment (Dedicated Infantry Combat Killer).

20. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    my biggest regret so far in life is not going into the military right after high school. i was more focused on becoming a firefighter. now as selfish as it sounds, i am too good a spot to leave and enlist.

the Marines is where i would have gone. into the infantry.

all you military guys on here - thanks for everything you do. no joke.

Products Discussed in

To Top