1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

want to paint fenders

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by drtydru, May 14, 2011.

1. May 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    drtydru

drtydru [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dru
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Bucket seats, Variable speed wiper switch, 09 led Tail Lights, Satoshied front grill, DDM HIDs, Fog light install, Mud flaps removed, 1.5'AAL, Billie 1552, Toyotec front coilovers w/Billies, B.A.M.F welded sliders w/kickout,
    I am thinking about color matching my fenders to match the dark blue factory paint job. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appropriated.

Thanks

2. May 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    You will need to remove the flares to paint them, and when you do, the small clips that hold the flares to the fender/box will likely break. So you'll have to get some more from the dealership. They're cheap though.

The only real thing I'd say to look out for is to make SURE you don't rip the rubber gasket/moulding that runs the top of the flare. They're glued on, and you can't buy them separately. So don't ruin them. Masking them is a real pain too, so take your time so that you only have to do it once.

3. May 21, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    drtydru

Member:
    First Name:
    Dru
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Bucket seats, Variable speed wiper switch, 09 led Tail Lights, Satoshied front grill, DDM HIDs, Fog light install, Mud flaps removed, 1.5'AAL, Billie 1552, Toyotec front coilovers w/Billies, B.A.M.F welded sliders w/kickout,
    If I were to just remove the grey plastic fenders would there be anything underneath that would stop me from just leaving them off? I guess Im wondering if taking off the plastic fenders would be a better solution for me then painting them.

Any feedback is appreciated.

4. May 21, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    there are little square holes that the retaining clips go into. Some keep it off and just have the holes

5. May 22, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I see that you are in Cali. I imagine that there is a high chance of you getting pulled over if your tires stick out more then your body if you don't have the fenders. At the very least you most likely won't pass the safety inspection

6. May 22, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    drtydru

Member:
    First Name:
    Dru
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Im just asking about the grey plastic fender flares that go around the wheel wells. Not the actual metal fenders. I dont know if Im using the proper terminology or not. I was asking because I have seen tacomas without any sort of fender flare and thought maybe I could just pop mine off and be done with it. Painting could get expensive and I have a tendency to break plastic when I try and take it off. I have a lot of motorcycle plastics I have replaced :)

7. May 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    check my build, i painted mine but had em done professionally. if youre serious about it, youll get it done professionally for probably 200 bucks for both.

8. May 25, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    drtydru

Member:
    First Name:
    Dru
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Looks great marioso. I think im going to get them done professionally. I don't want to f it up and be out even more money for another set.

9. Sep 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Nolazach

Nolazach Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    An ARE camper shell, a 1000w power inverter.
    ::::Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one::::

Okay, I have two fender flares that have completely lost their paint. I went a head and removed the rest. I can tell that not only were the fenders never sanded, there was no primer applied and the paint chips were very thin.

My truck says in the build sheet it came from factory with painted fenders. So I think the original job was piss poor, and some-one tried to repaint them. Or something like that. I have an area on one that isn't chipping, where I can see a paint chip that was very small that was painted over.

Really this is the only issue with my truck, That now my passenger rear and driver front fender flare is mostly chipped away.

So I guess for now I just want to remove them, and then get them repainted at a later time.

What is the best way to remove them?

Or option 2, just get some color matching paint, sand and re-spray myself. (as a temporary fix).

Since its only 1 & 1/4 flares (just the front passenger piece on the bumper) that need repainting.

2dj2yx0_a83b4eeb483792fcf37eb35ac1145e341559aadd.jpg

v7chp3_e790cdb435b1adaf3b466133e245f32ae34a8423.jpg

These pictures were taken a week or so ago, its very much worse now.

Products Discussed in

To Top