1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanted: fabric-based, waterproof bed storage

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Dwight404, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Apr 20, 2016 at 10:21 AM
    Dwight404

Dwight404 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have a '16 Limited and love it. Didn't want the Tonneau Cover as I enjoy having the flexibility provided by an open bed - throw things in and out easily on the go. From time to time, however, I'll fill the cab with people for a trip and need to carry luggage or other supplies that don't do well in rain. I'd love the option to buy a waterproof fabric storage bag with zipper that fits squarely within the bed with about the height of the bed walls, with two choices in size: one that takes the entire space of the bed with the tailgate up and one that fits half the bed, leaving the other half of the bed for loose waterproof items like a cooler. Would have rings attached for tie-down. Have looked for this on the web but can't find anything like it. Seems like it would be a very functional accessory for folks like me who don't want the Tonneau. Anyone know of a product like this or anyone willing to manufacture one?

2. Apr 20, 2016 at 10:38 AM
    Danielnc06

Danielnc06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD DCLB
    Dwight404[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I know fabric bags are much much cheaper, but I myself was in need of some sort of cover for those times I needed to carry dry goods in the bed. I went with a soft top. Both Bestop and Softopper make soft tops for Tacomas. I know softopper already has one for the 2016, not sure about Bestop. They aren't super cheap (looking at ~$6-700) but they come in handy and can be completely taken off by yourself and stored when you don't need it. I scored my Bestop off eBay, brand new for around $500. I hate the way tonneau covers look and have no place to put a heavy solid fiberglass topper.

I guess the main bonus of a soft top is it doubles as a larger storage compartment, and I don't need to worry about making sure all my stuff fits in a bag.

Alternatively a cheap rolling soft tonneau cover could also accomplish your task. You could easily take it off whenever you don't need it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Dwight404[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM
    Dwight404

Dwight404 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thank you for these two suggestions. I like the full utility of the Softopper but decided to get the luggage bag as an inexpensive first step. Ordered the Keeper at $49. I still like the idea of a durable, zippered waterproof bag build just for the Tacoma! But the Keeper may be close enough. Thanks again.

Danielnc06 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top