1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanted: shell for 2nd gen silver 6' bed

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by petersharp, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 6:28 AM
    petersharp

petersharp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Yes, another one of those 'I want to buy a shell' threads.

My impending move to CO means I need a shell for my long bed crew cab 2nd gen Taco. Have done the usual searches (ie Craigslist) and haven't found much.

2. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    I feel your pain. Up in the Northwest Canopies are pretty standard equipment. Just bought a new 2010 double cab long bed a couple of weeks ago. First I went out thinking to buy a nice canopy for my silver double. Ouch, prices almost hurt. Seems a lot of the canopy places closed down a few years ago and now there are only about half. Means less competition and higher prices. Next was a search on the local classifieds and craigslist. Just not a lot of canopies for the long bed. Expanded my search through out the state and even surrounding states. Finally last week a canopy comes up at the border of the state. I email (should have called instead) and receive no answer. Canopy sold that day. Couple of days later same (black) canopy relists. I immediately email (still doing stupid). A few hours later I finally get my head in gear and call. No answer but the guy emails me back the canopy is for sale for 50 bucks more than original post. Flurry of emails and we work out a meeting. Next day I drive 4 hours to Portland. Nice black Snugtop sitting in his garage. He bought the canopy in the dark. Next morning he realized canopy doesn't fit his regular cab 4x. Walla, I am now the lucky guy with a black canopy for my silver Tacoma double. Drive right home, stopping at Maaco Paint (did this with my last canopy for my F150). For 250 bucks they color match. Long story short. Should have me a sweet canopy today sometime. Cost for SnugTop Supersport canopy 650.00, + 8 hours of driving + about 50 bucks gas + 250.00 for paint = 950.00 actual cash. Savings 1250.00 more for new canopy...
    Keep looking, they do pop up periodically. Also, if your headed to Colorado do some searches up there. I did find a canopy in Montana.
    Best of luck in your search. Ken

3. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    petersharp

Member:
    First Name:
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Thanks. I have been keeping an eye on the classifieds for a while to no avail. I want one for the actual move so searching in CO is kinda pointless.

4. Dec 30, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    I just started looking on PHX- it sounds like a long road to find one... but hopefully something will materialize. i found a sweet one on CL in Orlando -(of course). My 1998 tacoma had one and my 89 before that. Just bought a 08 AC and just feels naked without! Good luck and I'll let you know if I come across one!

Arizonabackcountry

5. Dec 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    Try craigspal. It searches any selection of CL servers you choose. I picked anything west of the 110th parallel.

I lucked out and found mine about 4.5 hours away, a Leer 100R for $700. That was a savings of $400 over new, and about $900 over what I really wanted.

On the plus side, the LB bed in silver is the most common config of the 2G Tacos. Let me know if you have any more questions.

6. Dec 31, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.

7. Dec 31, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
  8. Dec 31, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    Brianone20

Brianone20 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Brush Gaurd PIAA's
    I have a 2006 crew cab long bed in Silver. I will sell you my snug top if I can. My truck was rolled over and I think it's a total loss. The cap wasn't on it thankfully! It has solid windows with the flip open smaller windows at the rear of it. It has the sliding front window so you can reach in from the truck. That front window also folds down for easy cleaning in between the truck and the cap. Not sure what you're looking to pay, it's in good shape at 2 years old. Got some scratches that would prob buff out, but no damage and the light inside works as well. PM me if you want to make an offer.

Oh and a good aggregate search site for craigslist is http://www.searchtempest.com/

9. Dec 31, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    try craigshelper.com or org

10. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    petersharp

Member:
    First Name:
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    So I found a company in Phx that has a new ARE V series cap in stock for $1,100.

Anyone have one of these? What did you pay?

11. Jan 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Not a bed price depending on how equipped. when I started my search about the cheapest price in the Northwest was 1,500 for entry level cap/canopy. Just recently purchased a used SnugTop through Craigslist. By the time I got the canopy home and painted to match my truck I have about 900 bucks invested. Still a bargain considering new in this area goes for about 2,100 after tax. K
    :cool:

12. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    ninorth

ninorth T-REX

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab 4x4 off-road
    When looking for a shell is there any other truck shells that fit tacomas or do I need to get one that was off a tacoma? I have no clue about shells

13. Jan 6, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:

There might be someone online who knows, I surely don't. Try talking with a shell dealer but they probably won't give you all the info as they want to sell you one of theirs. While I haven't measured my truck bed width or shell I had heard they bed width tapers from front to rear. Ken

14. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Brianone20

Brianone20 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Brush Gaurd PIAA's
    My shell is for sale, search my name and you will see my post. My truck was totaled after the insurance company tried to fix it. The cap was not on it. It's a silver 6 foot bed.
    530-448-0095
    Brian

15. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    petersharp

Member:
    First Name:
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.

Thanks, but I am no longer looking for a cap. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it.

Products Discussed in

To Top