1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanting to add 12v/USB power to center console

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Vegvisir Overland, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Apr 26, 2023 at 12:51 PM
    Vegvisir Overland

Vegvisir Overland [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central OK
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro Army Green
    Took the bed mat from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen
    I don't know much about electronics so I'm looking for some help. Truck is a 2020 TRD Pro.

I have a Amazon 12v socket/USB panel (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MQBQ82J) that I want to mount on the rear of the center console. I want to be able to run a 12v fridge (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y21WLBL) off the socket portion. It lists max power at 80w.

I would like to tap into adequate power for the 12v socket to run the fridge while the truck is on, as a normal accessory. I would prefer to tap the power in a non-destructive way, without vampire taps or cutting anything if possible. Preferably something like a Y-harness? Or would an add-a-circuit be better?

2. Apr 26, 2023 at 1:04 PM
    Labbi85

Labbi85 Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Apr 26, 2023 at 1:18 PM
    Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150
    First of all, you're not running a fridge off an add-a-fuse.

You can use an add a fuse to tap switched power that will trigger a relay. Wire the relay straight to the battery and to your outlet. You'll need an in-line fuse or fuse block. Given your lack of knowledge/skill you're better off keeping it simple with an in-line fuse. Wire gauge and fuse will be determined by the information the product page doesn't provide...amperage draw.

4. Apr 30, 2023 at 3:46 PM
    Vegvisir Overland

Vegvisir Overland [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central OK
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro Army Green
    Took the bed mat from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen
    Thank you for the responses.

5. May 9, 2023 at 1:23 PM
    05 4x4

05 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    @Vegvisir Overland
    There is a really good write up or maybe video on this subject and has all the information you need. It uses a fuze block in the engine bay then runs to your power outlets using marine components. It looks like a great idea, and a lot of people are doing it to run those power outlets to the rear of the bed. Do some searching here and youll find it. Probably a few youtube videos on it too.

6. May 9, 2023 at 1:31 PM
    watermelonman

watermelonman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 Lunar TRD Sport
    dual child seats
    USB is 5v but I also assume you mean both that and a 12v lighter socket.

Yes, as others say you can get the volts but not much amperage here.

7. May 9, 2023 at 1:38 PM
    randyb87

randyb87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RANDY
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Shortbed - Quicksand
    ADD Honey Badger Front Bumper TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights 6 Baja Designs Squadron Pods (Bumper) 2 Baja Designs 10" Amber S8 (Bumper) Switch Pro 9100 Dobinsons Lift Kit and Leaf Pack - 2.5" lift Smittybuilt 9500 Synthetic Winch Factor 55 Flatlink Ultra Hook Meso JDM Stage 1 Taillights Meso JDM Ultimate Turn Signals Meso JDM Stage 2 TRD Pro Shifter ARE z series topper Hood Decal Bed Side Decals Meso JDM 7 switch panel for console with Cig lighter port Clazzio Nappa Leather Seats with heaters 5 TRD Pro SEMA T4R Falken Wildpeaks 275/70/r17 UpTopRack XL and EX - With meso light pods (6 baja rock lights; 2 baja s2 flush lights) 40" Baja Design S8 Dual Mode Light bar on UpTopRack ARB Single compressor Expedition Essentials Air on Board Mount in Bed Cubby RSG Rock Sliders with top plate with kickout CBI full skid plate - powder coated CBI High Clearance Rear Bumper with 2 Baja Design S2 flush mount reverse lights 8 Baja Design Rock Lights under vehicle DSIM Dome Light Mode Dashboard Multi Mount by Taco Garage Inverter Adapter with in Cab Power Outlet ARB Fridge with hardwire ports in back of center console and in truck bed cubby Rhino Rack Batwing 270degree awning
    8 gauge wire from battery to a 40amp circuit breaker approx 18” from the battery.

Then 8 gauge wire from the circuit breaker through the firewall, behind the dash, up the middle console to the arm rest.

Pop the back of the arm rest off that is on the bottom and faces the rear seats. Cut and mount the panel.

This would be for an always powered solution. Or add a relay to power the panel when the truck is on.

05 4x4 likes this.
To Top