1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanting to add CC on 03 taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by davidss03, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 extended cab
    cold air intake
    Hey everybody. This is my first post. I've been a member for a while. Just been looking around. I am wanting to add crusie control to my 03 V6 4x4 5 spd. taco. Does anyone know how to do this or if it's possible???

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    i dont think its possible on first gen trucks, the second gens have electronic throttles on them so i think they can but ours is a throttle cable

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    cold air intake
    Man that sucks, i love CC!

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
  5. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    well i guess i was wrong then... ha ha sorry about that

6. Nov 3, 2010 at 11:33 PM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    cold air intake
    Thanks a lot. Thats seems to good to be true.... Do you know of anyone who has done the mod?

7. Nov 4, 2010 at 5:03 AM
    JDBECK23

JDBECK23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma Reg Cab 4 cyl 4x4
    Just checked that link... That's all BS. Toyota sells a kit made specifically of factory parts to install CC into your 1st Gen... I just bought! I opened the box up yesterday... 100% OEM. You can get them here... Toyotapartszone.com

PM me your email and I'll send you the PDF instructions.

8. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    cold air intake
    Thanks for the help! I've been wanting CC for about 3 years now. How much did the kit cost total? Also it says it works with model VZN-170 and mine is VZN-170L. Do you think it would work on that model or does the L not make a difference? Let me know how the install goes

9. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    JDBECK23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
  10. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    cold air intake
    Just called and talked to Toyotapartszone.com they don't have it. He told me to call a Gulf State Toyota dealer. Talked to them and they don't offer it for the 03 V6. WTF they have it for the I4.

11. Nov 5, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    cold air intake
    alright just found a universal kit at thecruisecontrolstore.com, just talked to them and they say it will work.

12. Nov 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    TallTacoma

TallTacoma Bear fvcker!

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    The Silver State
    Vehicle:
    Come and take it from my cold, dead hands.
    3" suspension lift (ToyTec coilovers and wheeler leafs), Yakima roof rack, ARE tonneau, K&N FIPK.
    Let us know how it works. I've been considering installing a CC system on mine. It was one of those things I thought was pretty much standard at the time, and said, "SOB," when I realized it wasn't there.

13. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    JDBECK23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
    That kit is more expensive than the toyota kit that I purchased that we've been talking about in this thread. Im also hoping that you get more than just the two things shown in the picture as well. There's no actuator for the gas pedal shown. And if you have a manual tranny, they tack on another 40 bucks... for what, I wonder!

Standby for pictures and small comments about how my install went... finished it last night, works perfectly!

14. Nov 6, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    JDBECK23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
    Ok so I finished the install yesterday... I'd say it took me about 4.5 hours... mostly because I was taking my time and reading the directions. And the factory pictures are sometimes hard to figure out! Here's the basic gist of the install....

Removal Driver's side:
    -Door sill plastic trim
    -Kick panel
    -Lower Dash panel
    -Upper and Lower trim behind the steering wheel
    -Accelerator arm and pedal (disconnect throttle cable... this made me use fowl language!)
    -HVAC motor thingy (makes more room to work)
    -J/B number 3 (this is referred to many times in the instructions... I believe it stands for Junction Block... it's a series of large connectors plugged into a housing... it's always in the way... it made me use fowl language too!)
    -Brake pedal return spring and brake switch
    -Clutch stop bolt

Removal Passenger side:
    -Glove box
    -Lower dash trim (there's a connector attached to the top of this trim piece that you need to disconnect, you push the tab down or away from the trim piece, not towards... yes, I used fowl language!)
    -Door sill trim
    -Kick panel (the instructions dont tell you to remove this or the door sill trim, but you have to, this is where the Cruise Control computer goes)

New Parts:
    -Actuator (this mounts behind the Gas pedal arm and physically pushes the pedal when the CC kicks on)
    -Computer (duh)
    -Brake switch (has 4 terminals vice the one coming out of the truck which had 2)
    -Clutch switch (looks almost identical to the old brake switch it kicks the cruise off when you push the clutch in)
    -Harness (duh)
    -Zip ties (I only needed or used half of the ones supplied)
    -Cruise Control thinger
    -Empty connector for the cruise control thinger...

Pictures.....

I didnt take pictures of the whole process, sorry... that would have made it take 9 hours! Here's some pictures for your viewing pleasure though!

This shows the connector that you tap into to get the vehicle speed to the Cruise Computer... It's hard to see, the tap was included and already wired into the harness. The wire you tap into is Red/Green. Pay attention to the instructions... they list the supplemental instructions in the front of the PDF, within the supplemental instructions it clarifies what pin of the connector and what color wire you are to be tapping into... further in the instructions on this step there's some hand written stuff, disregard that and flip back to the front to the supplemental section on which wire to tap into to get the vehicle speed!
    [​IMG]

Harness that's been routed underneath the glove box area, you can see the little pigtail separating and going up, that's the part of the harness that has the tap on it. It heads up, behind the ducting to the connector that I was talking about that's a pain to remove from the lower dash trim panel on the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

The harness leaving the passenger side and going to the driver's side. Just so I dont confuse anyone... you actually route the harness starting from the driver's side and pull it through to the passenger side, per the directions.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the new Cruise Computer... notice the ground wire that's attached to the mounting point as well, this is part of the harness too. The blue harness is the new one, for some reason the wire loom is blue for about 1/3rd of the whole harness.
    [​IMG]

Second shot of the same area, notice this factory connector that's tucked away a little... this appears to be a connector for the factory cruise control... Interesting...........
    [​IMG]

This is a shot of J/B no 3, wrapped in the supplied foam tape from the kit. Next to it is a large metal bracket that is a potential hazard to the wiring. Since you have to relocate this J/B, the wires may rub on the metal bracket. So they also supplied a type plastic "protective sheet" as they refer to it in the instructions. You're meant to stick it to the metal bracket...... if you can get it to stick and stay, you're a better man than me! I'll be keeping an eye on this...
    [​IMG]

Another shot, you can see the flange that's sticking out of the bracket, that's the offending metal edge that could rub the wires bare...
    [​IMG]

It's a bit hard to see but that's the new Actuator that will push the pedal when the cruise goes on... you can see the light grey thing is the end of the throttle cable. Putting this actuator in was not fun... it makes things very tight... have patience... or curse alot, that's what I did!
    [​IMG]

The new Cruise Control stalk... it looks nice and OEM... here it is installed in the lower steering column trim.
    [​IMG]

The view from the back... they provided a template for you to find the drill point on the lower trim piece. I had some issues with the location.. more on that later... but the important thing to note is that you want to get all of the washers, plastic pieces and nut on the threaded piece BEFORE you slide the terminals of the harness into the supplied connectors! I got a little ahead of myself and had to go back with a tiny screwdriver and unlock the terminals to get them back out. I have experience with terminals and connectors... others may not, so do it right the first time!
    [​IMG]

Drivers side of the harness... There are two connectors for each part of the equation here... the process is, you find the factory connector for the ignition, brake switch, etc and you plug it into the male connector on the new harness, then you plug the female connector from the new harness into the brake switch, ignition switch, etc.
    [​IMG]

Ignition switch connector and new harness.
    [​IMG]

New Clutch switch, installed where the old stop bolt was and plugged into the new harness. I didnt find any thing in this area to suggest that a factory connector was taped up or laying around... so I honestly dont think you could use the factory harness to install cruise, you would need a secondary harness like the one that comes in this kit.
    [​IMG]

This is the 3 pin connector that rests near the steering column that will be plugged into the Cruise Control Stalk.
    [​IMG]

The J/B no 3, installed in it's new location. With the actuator installed, the J/B cant fit on it's old mounting point, a new bracket is supplied to move the J/B... I thought of some new, more descriptive names for J/B no 3 along the way... but the one that stuck was "Mother fucker no 3"! This thing is a pain to work with, I was happy when I got to the point in the directions that said to bolt it in place!
    [​IMG]

A nice inline fuse built into the harness... mental note.. if your cruise stops working... check here first!
    [​IMG]

This is a shot of the stalk with all the mounting hardware installed... notice the position of the nut in relation to the hole that the factory screw goes through...
    [​IMG]

Here you can barely see that when looking through mounting hole, you can see the very top of the nut.... I followed the template pretty well, it's not rocket science... and I didnt notice the drill walking up on me as I made the hole either. Side note: I used a small and then a medium drill bit before using the last drill bit to make the hole... FYI....
    [​IMG]

My remedy for the above predicament was to trim the top trim piece so the two trim pieces to clip together.....
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how they now sit together...
    [​IMG]

All finished! It looks a little "busy" on this side of the steering wheel, but I had no problems operating the cruise at all!
    [​IMG]

The view from the front.
    [​IMG]

It worked flawlessly the first time out! I must say im very happy with how it turned out! The quality of the harness and parts was OEM, without a doubt (the word Cruise, on the stalk is backlit... when the system is on, this is lit). The instructions were very thorough with a couple very small oversights here and there, but no biggy. If you guys have questions, let me know... I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge... having done this once now.. I feel like I could have this installed in under 2 hours no problem. The most time consuming part is reading and re-reading the directions. The J/B no 3, throttle cable, and fixing the steering column trim pieces were probably where I spent most of my time.

I would DEFINITELY recommend getting a cordless drill for this project if you dont have one... with an attachment for a number 2 phillips head screw driver head, and an attachment to run a 10mm 1/4 inch socket.

15. Nov 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    JDBECK23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
    Also, the directions call for a 7/16ths drill bit to knock the hole in the lower steering column trim piece for the new Cruise Control stalk. I didnt have one handy... so I used the next size down... a 3/8ths. This gave a very nice, snug fit... I pretty much had to thread the stalk into the plastic. Which will help stabilize it in a general sense as well as the mounting hardware.

16. Nov 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Nice write up!

17. Nov 6, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    cold air intake
    nice write up man, i wish i could find factory parts for mine....they don't offer it

18. Nov 7, 2010 at 4:47 AM
    JDBECK23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
    I know the directions list the kit being applicable only for 2000-2001, but I've seen many websites that sell the kit and they list it as applicable to 2000-2004. What did Toyotapartszone tell you? That's where I got my kit, but I do have a 2001.

19. Nov 7, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    JDBECK23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

20. Nov 7, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    cold air intake

They don't sell the factory parts at all, the toyota dealership doesn't even offer them.

Products Discussed in

To Top