1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanting to get a ham radio. Can I listen to CB channels too?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jmichael99, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Oct 16, 2018 at 5:28 AM
    PyroTaco

PyroTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab Tacoma
    Fat Bob's lift kit, 30's on stock steelies, lunchbox locker in the rear, and a ton of other general mods and additions to help the utility of the truck for my particular uses.
    Sorry, just saw the notification

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-PyroTaco

2. Oct 16, 2018 at 5:39 AM
    PyroTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab Tacoma
    Fat Bob's lift kit, 30's on stock steelies, lunchbox locker in the rear, and a ton of other general mods and additions to help the utility of the truck for my particular uses.
    [​IMG]
    And there’s my antenna and gps puck. You can barely see them

-PyroTaco

WileECoyote likes this.
  3. Oct 16, 2018 at 5:52 AM
    m603holden

m603holden @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    How do you like that 400?

4. Oct 16, 2018 at 6:12 AM
    toysrgood

toysrgood Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Reg Cab
    I like that behind the seat setup. I think I might do something similar with extinguisher, recovery gear and some tools. Maybe some quick fists or hooks to put the rifle on so it isn't just banging around while I am on the way out to the land.

This thread is chocked full of good info for HAM noobs. I'd love to get into it, but honestly I don't know anyone in my area that uses it where I would find it most useful, while out on the trails. Everyone uses CB.

So could I buy the Beofeng mentioned earlier (quoted below) and use the software to open up CB bands? Then use the mag antennae to talk on both HAM and CB? Honestly looking for the most budget friendly yet actually useful setup. I frequently travel outside cell range even on the east coast.

Edit: Well I found my answer. Sounds like CB is something like 27Mhz while this radio is in the 136-174Mhz.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    WileECoyote likes this.
  5. Oct 16, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    @toysrgood you'd be surprised at who's on the airwaves in your area

medic2230, WileECoyote and toysrgood like this.
  6. Oct 16, 2018 at 6:29 AM
    toysrgood

toysrgood Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Reg Cab
    This is true. I have seen quite a few HAM tags on cars. I was thinking more for trail comms with my wheeling group. They all use CB if any comms at all.

WileECoyote likes this.
  7. Oct 16, 2018 at 6:33 AM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Yeah that's common. A lot of people up here run both. I gave up the CB thing. At that point I'll just roll down my window and shout. Haha. More often than not when something comes up, we leave one ham with the group and put a pair of drivers on their way, another being a ham. With the mtns up here the CB signal can't get out. Seems to be an issue every trip that has an issue

Btw I think if you can get 3 people together and $15 a person, you could get test set up for you and your buddies.

8. Oct 16, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    PyroTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab Tacoma
    I like the 400. Should have waited till the xdr came out as it has a much improved gps. I have to run an external gps to have a fast ttff, but it’s all good. Eventually I’ll have my active map and digipeater running in there as well.

For my access to echolink I use the app on my phone.

My ht is at hone and not shown in pics but I’m running an ft-1d and for cb I run a cheap handheld currently with a mobile waiting on the side for me to install.

The Baofeng should be able to receive cb but not transmit. The tyt th-9800 can receive and transmit on cb but not legally.

-PyroTaco

WileECoyote and toysrgood like this.
  9. Oct 16, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    I'm mounting a CB on a hood mount just for the added capability. There always seems to be that one diehard old jeeper guy that insists CB is the greatest thing on earth. So far, truck is running AM/FM, 2M/70CM/1.25M, APRS, and SATCOM. Starting to look like something TF Orange would run.

[​IMG]

WileECoyote, toysrgood and m603holden like this.
  10. Oct 16, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    PyroTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab Tacoma
    Nice setup. When I had my smart car I had antennas all over it similar to your truck.

WileECoyote likes this.
  11. Oct 26, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    What do y’all think of these for a reliable ~3-4 mike range? I know they’re kinda old but the price was free. They need batteries but I don’t want to waste my money on batteries if the radios won’t reliably reach 3-4 miles, regardless of terrain.
    606ED1D1-AA92-4005-BF5E-920348C5B91C.jpg

WileECoyote likes this.
  12. Oct 26, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    PyroTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab Tacoma
    based on the specs, they should be able to reach out the distance you want via line of sight. Once you add in environment barriers, it could all change. The only way to know is to test them out. If you decide against wanting to spend money, send em my way :-D

MolonLabeTaco and WileECoyote like this.
  13. Oct 26, 2018 at 9:24 PM
    MolonLabeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Ha! I understand it’ll always be questionable, I was just curious if they were better than top end FRS, better than top end GMRS or better than bottom of the line ham.
    Thanks!

WileECoyote likes this.
  14. Oct 26, 2018 at 10:18 PM
    WileECoyote

WileECoyote Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    Very nice "catch"!!! :headbang:

I've never done a Radius CP200 before, but at my previous job of +10yrs, I've programmed Motorola Spectra, CDM series, and quite a few other radios. I've even done some programming for some of the Harris/MA-COM radios. Just before leaving, the Motorola XTL5000's were SUPER HOT... meaning, being used throughout many different fire depts. across the U.S.

Are you guys still using 2m/70cm freq analog repeater systems then based off of those radios? Or, is that why you were able to acquire those radios as they're no longer used in your public safety system? Just curious.

Anyways, again, nice find.

Btw, HAHAHAHAHAHA, if you could find out what freq are programmed into those radios, you SHOULD be able to communicate to someone that is using a Baofeng or similar radio since they have a "wide freq TX band range". Getting the programming cable and Motorola software though is practically impossible/expensive. :eek::goingcrazy::bananadead::facepalm::laughing::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

MolonLabeTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Oct 26, 2018 at 10:40 PM
    MolonLabeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    idk the frequency used these days but it’s all gone digital, these are analog. These are antiquated compared to current comm’s. IDK how to check their frequencies. Tips?
    Do you think these will work for what I’m looking for?
    Thanks!

WileECoyote[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Oct 26, 2018 at 11:55 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    Yeah, well aware of the digital end. P25 is/was the latest greatest when I last done anything, but that was 2yrs ago. Pretty sure the same thing now.

Anyways, yeah, those should work fine assuming they're programmed with the same freq? Pretty sure they are since they seem to be from the same "batch" of wherever you got them from. You should easily get 2-3mi range, but as said earlier, range will decrease with "structure obstructions".

Btw, all depends on how good those batteries will hold their charge during use, as well. I forget what model Motorola HT's we had, but the batteries were dying fast. The radios were fine, but needed new batts as the rechargables were just TOAST!!!

17. Oct 27, 2018 at 12:08 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    As far as finding out, you would need a radio interface cable and the Motorola radio software, which the software is up in the thousand range from last I remember... called Motorola CPS if I remember right? The software will/should be radio specific as well... typically. Or, you SHOULD be able to take it to your guys "radio shop" (i.e. assuming your dept has a radio shop that takes care of your guys equip or some 3rd party radio shop) and have them look at the programming. That part though, I don't know the SOP's for requesting such work??? I would imagine you have to submit some sort of "ticket" and describe the reasons for the work? I just know that public safety is guarded fairly well when it comes down to more of the specifics and for good reason. BUT, with that said, if you know anybody in the radio shop, pretty sure they'll just plug in and check it out. Other than that... :notsure:

Btw, those radios also might have some sort of PL code so they will only work with each other unless you can find out what PL was being used? Again, looked at with programming software.

Turn them ON, set the ch setting dial, and press PTT.

Oh, sorry for the details brotha, but if you get some sortof "tone/beeps" while/after pressing PTT, that is usually an indicator that it is "looking" for its repeater. But again, it all depends as I can only speculate. Depends on how those radios are programmed. But, just turn them ON and try them. Just trying to give you some insight on how your typical public safety radio systems work.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  18. Oct 27, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    MolonLabeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    The 3 are linked together. The guy that gave them to me used them in oil fields to communicate with their boss’ office. He gave me 5 but the other 2 were Kenwoods and they were beat to crap so I trashed them. I’ve got them to “talk” to each other but batteries only last a couple minutes, even turned off. I’m going to order some new batteries now. Thanks!

WileECoyote likes this.
  19. Oct 27, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, I was assuming you got these from the fire dept. Me "stereotyping" based off of your sig... LOL!!! :smack: <--- me to myself!!! :laughing::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But yeah, then I highly doubt it really has any "special programming" in them then. Also, I would have to say that, and I realize I'm stating the obvious, your batteries are at "end of life" usage.

Anyways, at least you know how a typical radio system works if you don't already?! :thumbsup::fistbump::D:p:laughing::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    MolonLabeTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 27, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    MolonLabeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    In my dept., we're in the process of upgrading our radios. We're going to really fancy ones that verbally tell you what's displayed on the screen (locked/channel/zone/etc.). Hopefully our old ones will go to auction for cheap & I can get a few. The ones issued to the 7 'Chiefs' have very little use & are like brand new. Even those are much better than these 3 I have now.
    I just ordered 2 new batteries & will test out the range when I get them charged. I'm not wasting my time trying it w/these old batteries. I took an
    in-depth radio class put on by Motorola & they talked about how fast the wattage/range decrease when a battery goes from 100% charged to just 95% charged, so I'd be wasting my time w/these batteries. Also talked about how the range diminished significantly when radio was worn under bunker coat as opposed to worn in the front breast pocket. Moral of the story, keep that radio fully charged & the antenna unobstructed when in IDLH environments where comm.'s are crucial! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

WileECoyote likes this.
To Top