1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warning about True North Outback Adventure Co’. formally core outfitters- NATHAN MCDONALD

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade - Canada' started by tacoma16, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:07 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    regardless of what they offer, that isn’t of discussion. For someone new, that’s totally fine. Different strokes for different folks.

the conversation at hand is the delivering of products or money. The person to deliver is now consulting with another company. That’s it. People want their money.

2. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:07 PM
    TNOACO

TNOACO Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Xterra
    Lift , Bumpers , Sliders , Skid plates , Off road lights , Wheels and tires.

I am not here to plead with anyone , i am not here to beg anyone. I am here to protect my business from the obvious emotional "adults" who will fire before asking. As i have been having posts removed all day from Facebook . There are " adults" here and there who feel that pulling a trigger because they are angry at someone is better than actually fact checking . I have had messages sent to me that have insulted me , and i have been dealing with this " adult" behavior all day. so begets me to be a little low on the patience with these " adults" . Saying that you have certainly been more adult than many today. I am trying to be level headed , as i also lost a substantial amount of money in the CORE ordeal. But i will protect my business from these " adults" in any means within my reach. You will understand that i am sure. I came here in good faith , to clear the air . and i suppose i have to expect to take at least a little heat , which i am prepared to , but i stand by my position . I needed information for my startup. He had it . i used the information to get myself set up to succeed. If for that i need to take some heat because of the individual , then so be it.

If any of the members who feel that i am the toxin to their landfill by using Nathan as a consultant , then i urge them to send me a message and i will have a proper conversation , otherwise this back and forth banter condoning the childish behavior that has been displayed to me today , is not going to get anyone anywhere. I came to clear the air , and for the most part it seems some has been cleared , and i guess thats fine.

I hope good will to everyone here . and i wish everyone a great year in the wilderness.

Neither. I felt i needed to stay as far away from that as possible.

3. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:11 PM
    Norilsk

Norilsk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!
    That’s why I said it’s my personal take. This is a product that is non existent, “teaching” is another way of taking money and not delivering product. Or simply putting a price tag on what’s already free.
    At OF4WD all of this is taught so as we do at the club. Either way. We wish this company well, but meanwhile condemn any relations as a club with them.

4. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:12 PM
    TNOACO

TNOACO Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Xterra
    Notes taken on your take for that service . It actually wasn't supposed to be live yet as i haven't got all the details on the course materials. so prices weren't supposed to go live. So thank you for pointing it out. I get that you wouldn't pay for a course in off road safety and recovery , doesn;t mean someone else wouldn't . There are courses similar all over the world . and people pay more for them . However i thank you for pointing out a issue and will rectify that.

Tridet167 and tacoma16[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:12 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I appreciate you coming on here and I can totally understand your frustration. And I appreciate you understand ours.

Again, I have done my best to post nothing but the facts. What others do on a public forum is out of my hands. Same with any company with open reviews. As you know the offroad community does their reviews through the grape vine. Why this thread was constructed.

What is it we can do for you here? What information have we posted in here that has not been true?

you have pleaded your case and we have discussed some of your pleads. What you say is “banter” is simply a conversation from my standpoint. Again collecting information. I just don’t know what has been said to be false, or this “trigger pulling” as you say. Again, I can only speak to this thread. Can’t speak for anything outside of it as I haven’t conducted anything outside of this thread.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Pickeledpigsfeet, Shveet and whatstcp like this.
  6. Jan 8, 2021 at 10:42 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    You may want to get formal training and certification from a recognized body before offering safety courses for a fee. I know locally that a shop setup without knowing that and almost had some legal issues that would make Core Outfitters look mild. If you offer a safety course with only your personal knowledge and experience, it'll be your personal knowledge and experience that ends up in court if someone gets hurt. Doesn't matter what someone signs. If you train them, you are responsible for their competency which is a poor position to be in legally. Said mentioned shop did in fact have several employees certified in the US by a recognized body, and it was harder than they expected with much learned even by experienced offroaders, which allayed their potential problems.

There, an adult conversation for you.

Oh, and a good rule of business. Never strongly associate yourself with someone who is in the middle of a legal battle with your potential customers. You don't want advice, I can tell you've had a rough day, but you need to cut Nathan out from your business if you don't want people to associate him with your business. It's that simple. You can still be friends with the guy and talk shop with him, but any formal business relationship needs to die if you don't want that association to continue.

Last bit, Core was an interesting business. They actively copied products from other manufacturers, which they pedalled as superior even though the few that were delivered had their own issues, and actively engaged in negative banter with critics on social media. That doesn't scream professionalism, aka adulting a business, it screams amature business ethics. To pass Core off as a business you want to replicate is also not something you should expect to be well received.

7. Jan 8, 2021 at 11:14 PM
    TNOACO

TNOACO Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Xterra
    First paragraph is fair , and is something i am tending to. which is why it was never supposed to go live , because i did not have all the details i needed for it to be actively marketed . so i agree with your position on that.

Nathan isn't exactly strongly associated , as in he isn't a paid employee , or a partner , he was a guy with certain knowledge i required , and so consultant was the best description , there is no money changing hands as it were , no deals being had. and i am not just targeting the potential consumers here , i am a Nissan Guy myself , and i know that market and the jeep market fairly well. Domestic is kinda of a i know of it not really to deep in it. and I know very little of the Toyota crowd other than they love their Toyotas , but i guess that's the same as any other group they love what they drive.

I mean i understand what your saying about copying products , but really a roof rack is a roof rack ... one design or another , i mean everyone has taken inspiration from someone else and either improved or made it work for a different application , so i think copying is a bit strong , but i get your point. In the past if a design had issues it was fixed in the next iteration , iterations do take time to get to. i can't speak for Nathan and CORE on that front as i don't know the details of the designs he was passing off as his or "improved" designs of his. But that is business in fabrication. Inspiration comes from somewhere . I can tell you with my personal vehicle the front bumper was heavily inspired by a bumper sold in the US , but it is a one off and is a little different to suit my needs. Either way that's business and fabrication.

Thank you for the more adult conversation. i appreciate it.

8. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I feel like this is what I had said (other then the safety items....). Regardless, it read better then what I had wrote apparently, as it was received as “adult conversation”. I don’t know, someone help me out here.

9. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:31 AM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    Don't forget there's a lot of other shit Nathan did like taking a loan out against a customer's car in some sort of fraud.

You keep saying Nathan and core were good but he had this happen twice with not delivering and taking money. The first time he manage to get enough money back to pay others. Then the second time was the one you see in this thread where it got really expensive.

It is your business and by all means the air is cleared up now it is not Nathan running it.

Having any association with Nathan will not help your company. Saying anything positive about him will not either. It is your business so as you please. I'd assume all of us here won't be continuing to tie your company to him as you've cleared things up its not him running it so no need to post that it's his company. But it's a safe assumption pretty much everyone here knowing you have any relation to him and the things you've said we won't be going to you for anything. I know personally I'm in the market for a roof rack and actually saw your site and had it book marked for future reference as I wasn't ordering now anyways but after finding this out I will definitely be bringing my business elsewhere even if it costs me more because I just don't trust any business associates of him.

But for the sake of your business I'd suggest remove everything and anything that can connect to him if you want your business to succeed because as you've said there's a lot of bad blood with Nathan. And that bad blood will follow to your company as long as he's in any way connected.

Personally for the sake of your business I'd be extremely careful and so everything you can to distance anything from core or Nathan, your comments already do not help you. Saying anything positive about core or Nathan just looks like you have a terrible judge of character and business after everything that's happened. Especially when so many are still owed money. Apologies usually don't do much but you still need to understand Nathan has also never cleared the air himself. Even with an the shit he's done and all the charges, he's never come here or anywhere to apologies or try and fix the situation. He always just runs like a coward.
    The fact he's never said he's sorry for what happened and all the money he took from people and tried to explain why he fucked up makes everyone get the feeling he never had good intentions he just wanted to scam people.

I'm not saying everyone will be cool with Nathan with a little apology as I'll still hate him, but as a matter of pride owning up to your fuck ups and at least wording that although you might not be able to fix it you're at least sorry with what happened. After all isn't that the Canadian way to apologize for everything? Jokes aside, admission to what you've done at least gives the suggestion to others that you want to turn things around and make them better even if you'll never have the money to pay them back. But he's never done so and I hate to say it it's also probably too late for him to do so. So with that he will continue to be bad blood for your company.

Sorry to say Greg but I also don't think of you as a good business now after being someone who was fucked by Nathan as you say and reaching out to him for help with this or resources whatever it is, then allowing any of his name is company to get tied to you was not a good start. The second you posted pictures on your Instagram with his truck doesn't help. You have to understand that truck may as well be a swastika on your front page for your company. Anyone who knows of Nathan seeing that will be angry.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  10. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    Shveet

Shveet retired TEC Picture Guy (̶r̶e̶t̶u̶r̶n̶e̶d̶)̶

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR
    posted that in the wrong thread....
    deleted and moved over

tacoma16[QUOTED][OP] and Joe23 like this.
  11. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Figured lol.

12. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:19 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I have changed the title. This page was originally made to warn people about being scammed when researching a company.

As of right now the only thing True North adventure Co has done is associate with the former owner of core and mention some questionable points. I don’t feel this reflects his “customer service” as much as it does reflect him making business decisions.

I will be posting and quoting the discussion to the front page in case any comments get deleted. People can make their own decision to use their services.

TeecoTaco and Joe23 like this.
  13. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:20 AM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    And if anyone does business with him review here so people can get a better idea if he's worth doing business with

14. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:23 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I do believe through the grape vine, if anything occurs it will show itself and the thread, or another thread can be created.

Joe23[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:28 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Let me know. I can put up a poll. Name should stay or shouldn’t stay.

my thought is the only thing “wrong” or “questionable” the new owner has done, is associate and say some questionable things about core. I don’t believe that reflects their customer service which is what this thread is about.

EDIT: put up a poll. This is a democracy and not just “my thread”

7 days and I’ll change it to what ever the results say.

Tridet167 likes this.
  16. Jan 9, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    TNOACO

TNOACO Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Xterra

Joe , you make a few good points , and i will certainly take them into heavy consideration , as i make some changes.

17. Jan 9, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    Lametaco

Lametaco Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    2010 dclb
    Bilstine 5100 Procomp 3 inch coils Add a leaf/block 20x10 icon 33 inch duratrac Tuff country uca Core outfitters roof rack Ditch bracket/pods
    definitely interested if you still have one! Just curious the dimensions

18. Jan 9, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    Tridet167

Tridet167 Not an Overlander, or am I?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5 DblCab
    What time to be alive? Covid, Trump riots and the Core thread gets revived. @TNOACO
    After reading the posts, I'm glad you came here to clear the air.
    The one thing you did wrong was mention his name and business and off road products all in the same sentence. You need to distance yourself from him and don't mention his name as anything to do with your business, ever. People talk as I'm sure you know and it won't help you grow.
    Core as a business was shit from the beginning. The person running it was shit. When you have a person that can do what he did to not just one person but countless others, that's not a normal human being. No moral compass if you will. He did it knowingly over and over without ever stopping until the police got involved. He would still be doing today I bet. I could never take money from an individual and just steal it, knowing they will never get it back. That alone makes him a shitty human being. That's the end of that.
    He left a bad taste in my mouth when it come to buy products from people in Ontario. Isn't that messed up? I prefer and trust buying stuff from BC and and the US over anyone in Ontario. I think I'm not alone saying he messed that up for all of us.
    I don't trust your name and it's nothing against you but the True North name reminds me of Facebook groups and things he was associated with and I am staying away from that. I hope you can gain peoples' trust and do well because it's good for everyone. I would suggest a name change but that's my opinion based on how I feel about it.
    I'm curious, you say you lost money as well, what are we talking about and how much?

19. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    Bang on
    @TNOACO put it into context this thread was revived and everyone jumping at this being Nathan again because of the few posts on your Instagram of his truck and him posting to advertise for you.

That right there might have already destroyed your company from a lot of customers in Ontario.

You being in this field should already know how it's a very niche market with a rather friendly community and as Tony mentioned we all talk to each other. Look how fast this spread to it being Nathans company. He screwed over so many people and businesses for that matter the second he shows his face everyone wants to take him down as a business and I'm sure there's a few that would love to bash his head in too. I'm not one of them but I definitely want to see anything thing he tries to start again be destroyed right away before he can scam anyone else again, or see him in jail.

You have to understand with all you've already said in this thread actually supporting Nathan just makes us really question your character. Assuming no one here will be going out of the way to continue to tell everyone you're with Nathan and slander your company etc, don't count on anyone from the group recommending your company or any support. No one here will trust you. You can probably see the whole tec group is getting pretty big. It's not that we want to see you fail but we definitely don't want to see what happened with core again.

I don't mean to be a dick as I would love to see another Ontario company in business but not one that includes Nathan.

My honest suggestion to you, would be do something quick, not just to say Nathan doesn't have the much to do with your company. Don't defend Nathan or anything.
    Made a joke to the others offer a promo code FUCKNATHAN5 for a 5% discount. But seriously something to better the air after all the people Nathan fucked over might actually really help you here after having the association of Nathan with your company.

It's what bamf did in the US after the shit with Pelfrey and that has really made a lot of people respect and love them even more and want to support them. Gone as far to North of the border too as there's a few in here with bamf products.

You've really shot yourself in the foot for a new business.

20. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    TNOACO

TNOACO Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan Xterra

The thing is Joe , its fine and dandy to be pointing fingers , but it was you who came on here saying you confirmed my company was Nathans and started the whole mess against my company , would you mind giving me your source of confirmation of my companies ownership that you pointed out was Nathan's. I get that Nathan has left a horrible taste in most of your mouths , and i get he messed up big time , and some of you even feel alot of anger towards him , and i am ok with all that , but to come here and very specifically say this company of mine is his , and saying you confirmed it , tells me that half of the information here is assumptions and guesses at best . but you know what thats ok , anyone who is upset or angry about a situation will make two points meet without the route to meet. I get it. But expecting me to feel sorry for some of you , im sorry i can't.

As far as a discount code , i am on board with that and once i have made some internal changes over the next week , i will see what i can do to offer Tacoma world a code , if you are wanting that still.

All honesty the things you just stated go along with the things i just said to Joe , you don't like my name... im sorry? and saying its nothing against me... well it kinda is against me. Its like saying , i don't like your name .... therefore i have pre judged you as a bad person... kinda silly and stupid if you ask me. If you or anyone here feels like not buying from me , i can't force you , i am not going to bed for your business , there is a whole world out there i am look at.

Many of you have told me to distance myself , and i have repeatedly been saying i am doing some internal changes right now to fix this issue. Will i tell you what i am doing , no because thats my business. Will i eventually gain peoples trust , well thats not up to me. thats up to you as the consumers . I will do what i have to to succeed .

Your curiosity will have to remain curious i will not say how much i lost in the ordeal , but it was enough to say i lost alot.

As for who am i ? well i am 42 years old , i live in Ottawa , i am a Veteran , i was injured in training and am now stuck at home for the most part , hence the time to have a business of my own. I enjoy camping , off roading , overlanding . I have been a mechanic , welder , fabricator , Auto body and paint , but most of my Career was in the IT world. Do i care about your experience as a customer of course , i worked for 9 years in retail so i have a pretty good idea of customer service . Do i want to make sure anyone who buys from me gets what they paid for regardless of my margins , yes. For example last year i sold a RTT and awning and because i have to get it from the US , by the time i got i had to take a 200$ loss on the sale because customs can suck a dick. I have since made changes to not have that happen again. Business isn't a black and white test book thing , somethings have to happen based on trial and error , and Alot of things are things that have to be the core of the business . Like when a customer pays me money , they get what they paid for , if i can not deliver they get their money back , its simple. thats core for me personally and has been for my entire life .

If this post sounds a little more aggressive , i am sorry . but people in general have a tendency to " find" problems because they can't find the truth , and that is inherit to most people , not judging people based on their humanity. But don't make assumptions without proof or fact to back it up. This WHOLE ordeal with me and my company could have been prevented fairly easily with a rational mindset to ask the right questions to the right people to get the right answers.

I thank you for having this discussion with me , i certainly appreciate it . perhaps one day we will meet and shake hands and have a laugh... id say a beer but i don't drink.

tacoma16[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top