1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warning...........Narcotics check point ahead!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by surfsupl, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Sep 17, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    X2 with Brunes!

But I'm sure you can agree with me that it doesn't justify treating him in an unprofessional matter/threatening, putting him in handcuffs because he thinks it's a joint. That's ridiculous, thinking a cig thrown out a window is Marijuana. Could have been anything, could be trash.

Tan, are you sure you're telling us the whole story? Did you smell like Marijuana? Would like to give the Officer the benefit of the doubt.

2. Sep 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Just cause "everyone does it" doesn't make it any less rude or more legal. If that's what prompted him to pull you over...::shrug::

And all I'm saying is cops simply can't get away with anything they want...The majority of the stories that make it to national news media regarding police are about cops getting caught/called out on their behavior. You don't hear about the 100's of thousands of police interactions that don't result in anything more than a ticket or a verbal warning.

I've stopped 100's of folks and never had an issue...

I have a hard time beleiving he was treated as bad as he has said it was....or as one sided. There are at least three sides to every story- in this case- Tans, the Cop, and the truth.
    As far as the handcuffs- I've placed folks in handcuffs for similar situations- Keeps them in a "controlled" state while the cop is heads down in the car.

3. Sep 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    The sign didn't say anything about just weed: it said "narcotics", which includes the prescription drugs you mentioned. Me thinks you are being paranoid.

4. Sep 17, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here's the plan...

All of you pot heads crawl out of bed on election day and vote for a pro cannabis candidate. I personally think some of the lighter recreational drugs should be legal... taxed all to hell, but legal. We've got bigger fish to fry in this country. Until they are legal (remember to get out and vote), quit complaining and accept the fact that the police are out there simply doing their job.

5. Sep 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    X2....that's why I kinda questioned him about it, sounds a little too harsh or left out stuff.
    I think it's great when Cops 10-15 if they need to. Certainly if they are causing a problem, never know who your messin' with.

6. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Thats just it, they will never legalize it because big tobacco & alcohol have too much power. If you could spark a joint after a stressful day of work and be relaxed in a matter of minutes how many people would still pound 10 beers to reach a comparable state. Sure some would but most would just take a few hits.

How many fewer scripts for narcotic pain killers would be filled if weed were legal. I see lots of people roll into ER everyday with enough oxycontin to kill a horse in em but they got a script so all is good. Right now you & I pay for there buzz since they are on medicaid & disability for some bullshit pain that can't be disproved.

I haven't smoked in years but would rather have my wife & kids meet the guy who took a few hits on the road than the guy who pounded 10 beers - not that I encourage driving impaired by any substance but spending my entire career in Health Care has made me a realist when it comes to such issues.

7. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    i promise thats how it went down and it wasnt the first time. everyone is always on officers side. that wasnt the only time its happened to me. maybe its a small town sorta thing. idk i havent been pulled over since that tho so im really treading lightly around them so maybe i guess they taught me a lesson

i know everyone does it isnt a good excuse but really just about everyone that smokes cigs throws it out the window. but i can see where i am wrong for that. but idk how the media could ever have access to the "majority" of stories about police brutality and misconduct you dont hear about the millions of cases where it does occur. it happens everyday. i just think its too easy for them. i think they really can get away with whatever they want. i know there are three sides to every story and i understand the handcuffs for his safety but he was just abusing his power in my eyes

but hey im glad to hear you have had no problems and are doing things by the book its a tough job and i could never do it. didnt mean to get all of topic and whatnot on this i just felt like venting lol

8. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    They will never legalize it because you'll never get enough pot heads organized and focused long enough to get their candidates elected. :D

9. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Disagree with you on that issue since I don't smoke (not a pothead) and know many professional people (also not potheads) who feel strongly that it should be legalized.

The issue as I see it is it will never come to a vote in the first place for the same reasons I stated in my previous post. The funny thing is most the people I know who don't smoke (not potheads) yet are for legalization are in Health Care/Law Enforcement/Judicial System(lawyers & judges) they all say the same thing - poor use of resources,victimless nonviolent crimes, & we have bigger issues that cause much more harm to focus resources on.

10. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    per the Supreme Court

NO...i ask almost everyone i stop if they have anything i should know about and if they mind if i take a look

if they refuse i tell them thank you and that is their right and move on

if they comply i have them sign a form stating that they understand that they have the right to refusal and they are waiving that right to allow me to search their car

a) youve obviously never used a crown vic's ac system...it sucks BALLS
    b) we are far too busy to be "hassling" law abiding citizens
    c) im going to agree with brunes and say that i think there is more to the story...i dont think he picked you out for just the cig. butt...

For the rest of you

If you feel like you've been harassed by the police...which i SERIOUSLY doubt...you can ALWAYS go above their heads

If it goes nowhere in their department, you have a state level department that is there to "police the police"

We have far fewer rights/abilities than the average citizen, but many of you do not know what your rights are...

I dont have a problem telling you to have a bad interaction investigated, because it will weed out those officers who dont deserve the job, and make the job of good police officers a bit easier i think

Have i walked the probable cause line pretty closely? Probably, but i can ALWAYS articulate TRUTHFULLY why i do what i do...ALWAYS

to the rest of this thread

:popcorn:

11. Sep 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    hahaha ive never been asked to sign anything for a search, ive been arrested before and never heard my Miranda rights and didnt even know what i was charged with till my court date(also had things missing out of my wallet when i got out) lol and my friend has a crown vic which is a piece of shit but i figured the cops have like a supercharger on their AC lol brunes was the one who said he walked the probable cause line lol im just always on the wrong side of it. i always thought of trying to issue a formal complaint but honestly i never have cuz cops protect cops and whos gonna believe me, cuz when that happened i was just some punk 18 year old kid. i just find it so wild that people refuse to believe that SOME cops abuse their power. i havent always been on the right side of the law but im not some pot smoking, drug addict, wild gangster livin to wreak havoc and praying for anarchy lol i guess ive just gotten pulled over by the wrong people

12. Sep 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

So basically you just assume I transport illegal narcotics because I post an article about this?..............Way to judge a book by its cover.......:smack:

13. Sep 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
  14. Sep 17, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    first off

PLEASE learn some punctuation...it makes posts much easier to read

Miranda rights are read when you are being questioned

they are not required solely upon arrest

If things were missing out of your wallet, that could be a number of things...depending on what was missing

Theres a lot of things jails will not take in as personal property and just toss...couldve been a shitty jailer...

Dont ever underestimate the power of a complaint

When i was 19, i was unlawfully stopped in my parents neighborhood...After talking with some friends and my parents, we filed a complaint with the state law enforcement (state level FBI essentially)

The officer was fired shortly thereafter and his credentials pulled because it turned out he was in fact, harrassing kids and i wasnt the first, or last to be stopped unlawfully or complain

15. Sep 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

Lol..........I know what you mean................Slow down as you go south into Cedar City......thats a speed trap!

16. Sep 18, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wasn't saying they show a majority of the stories of "cops gone bad" but that the majority of cops that make it into the news are the bad ones. I'm sure there are cops that don't get caught. You don't hear stories about cops winning civic awards or doing community service or being great people on the news cause it doesn't attract interest. The stories of cops getting caught on tape doing something wrong or engaging in brutality...That shit gets put on the news. So lots of folks go "Cops are all power hungry jerks- Just look at the news" But the news shows a disproportionate number of bad cops. Like my example- I've conducted 100's of stops with 0 negative occurrences and I'm just one dude.

And don't mistake my comment about "walking the probable cause line" as meaning I've taken liberties with peoples rights to make a bust. I've had to use all the training and situational awareness I have to put together a whole picture before taking any further actions. I've been able to truthfully and correctly articulate my reasoning for any of my actions.

17. Sep 18, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    thats bullshit.....
    here in ny we have bigger things to worry about then a mexican brining a dime bag down the highway....
    fuck the popo

18. Sep 18, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    tacosuprem

tacosuprem Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Sir do you know why i pulled you over? Littering and littering and smoking the reefer..... If you are on the road dont carry a pipe with you... Bring an apple and use that as your bowl. Poke a hole in the top then in the side tada... Also you have a snack afterwards... Those were the days....

19. Sep 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    That wouldn't bother me one bit. If you have nothing to hid what the Hell it just takes up a few minutes of your life away.

20. Sep 18, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    swendling12

swendling12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg Cab SR5 4 cyl 5spd 4x4
    We have DUI and Narcotics Checkpoints occasionally set up on major streets here. I honestly don't mind going through them; I like seeing that the Police are being pro-active about catching people that are breaking the law. If you don't like it, then gtfo.

Products Discussed in

To Top