1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warranty Enhancement - Propeller Shaft Universal Joints

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ozzy73, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Feb 22, 2018 at 11:50 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    I got my letter a while back, it's been sitting on my table since...
    my u-joints are good, I grease them at every oil change, but I have vibes only while towing. I have it documented as a warranty complaint from a while back, but they "couldn't find any problems at this time". Not sure if I should see what they say now or just not worry about it. Truck is an 07, 84k miles.

2. Feb 24, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    BigE taco

BigE taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDOR DCSB
    19 TRD OR DCSB Cement Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275/70/17 TRD Sema Pro TRD Pro Fox Shocks with Wescott lift Icon AAL progressive leaf pack Freedom Off Road UCA ECGS Bushing SSO slimline hybrid bumper in Zeak 12000lb winch Rigidhorse 20" led combo light bar Taco Garage "TRD Pro" Grill RC TuningFL OTT mild/medium tune Rav4 blindspot mirrors Seat Jackers driver seat Tri fold hard bed cover...came with truck Magnus side steps...came with truck, don't like them Tufskinz Inferno various interior items Auxbeam led low beam headlights "TRD PRO" style fog lights "TRD PRO" style skid plate Meso Custom Total Tail Stg 1 OEMAudio speakers Multi Ch amp, Sub amp and Toyota Gain Knob 09 TRD OR DCSB....sold Falken wildpeak at3w 265/75/16 TRD Pro Kit with Headstrong Prog. AAL TRD Seat Covers TRD Drop filter TRD Exhaust Led headlights and fogs Hidden light bar Led interior lights Pioneer Avic-F900BT Kicker speakers swap Kicker Solo 10" Kicker kx400.1 misc..$$$ spend on unnecessary things AVS in channel visors Trifecta tri fold Toyota Bed Extender Toyota Skid plate

3. Feb 24, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Front spacers can not effect d-shaft u-joints so legally they can't deny you. Doesn't mean they won't try though!

4. Feb 24, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    BigE taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDOR DCSB
    19 TRD OR DCSB Cement Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275/70/17 TRD Sema Pro TRD Pro Fox Shocks with Wescott lift Icon AAL progressive leaf pack Freedom Off Road UCA ECGS Bushing SSO slimline hybrid bumper in Zeak 12000lb winch Rigidhorse 20" led combo light bar Taco Garage "TRD Pro" Grill RC TuningFL OTT mild/medium tune Rav4 blindspot mirrors Seat Jackers driver seat Tri fold hard bed cover...came with truck Magnus side steps...came with truck, don't like them Tufskinz Inferno various interior items Auxbeam led low beam headlights "TRD PRO" style fog lights "TRD PRO" style skid plate Meso Custom Total Tail Stg 1 OEMAudio speakers Multi Ch amp, Sub amp and Toyota Gain Knob 09 TRD OR DCSB....sold Falken wildpeak at3w 265/75/16 TRD Pro Kit with Headstrong Prog. AAL TRD Seat Covers TRD Drop filter TRD Exhaust Led headlights and fogs Hidden light bar Led interior lights Pioneer Avic-F900BT Kicker speakers swap Kicker Solo 10" Kicker kx400.1 misc..$$$ spend on unnecessary things AVS in channel visors Trifecta tri fold Toyota Bed Extender Toyota Skid plate
    Isn't that the truth..... only reason I was thinking is that the spacers may change the angle of the driveshaft from stock and that might be there reasoning. Easy enough to take off and put back on, maybe it will make me order some 5100s instead of putting the spacers back on

5. Mar 2, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    finally got the letter.... i had given up on it...

just called. sounds like they are going to pick up the tab for both of em. hell yeah... christmas in march.

i think i might just keep this truck forever.

6. Mar 2, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    BigE taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDOR DCSB
    Has anyone got this recall done that have a lift on their truck? I don't really fell kike taking it off but I will if no problems, what you guys think?

7. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM
    b1uetaco

b1uetaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    I am to poor for major Modifications.
    Running Boards, Bilstein 5100's all around front set to 1.75" Rear block 1.5" LED Fog Lights, Roll-a-Lock Bed cover.
    They will require you to take off the lift unless you can convince someone to do the work and say their was no lift present.... :D Good luck, i spent 25 minutes on the phone with Toyota and the dealership.

8. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    BigE taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDOR DCSB
    Ok thank you. I think I will just remove the spacer lift and take the truck in.

9. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM
    BigE taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDOR DCSB
    What did you have to to call Toyota for?

10. Apr 13, 2018 at 6:11 PM
    BigE taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDOR DCSB
    So went into Toyota today and they ended up just replacing the rear u joint with something called a spider kit. I would have liked to have a whole new driveshaft but can't complain. I was thinking about doing the u joints myself but if toyota wants replace it no charge fine with me

11. Apr 13, 2018 at 6:11 PM
    BigE taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDOR DCSB
    Thank you Rob Unger at Germain Toyota of Sarasota for hooking me up.

12. Apr 13, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    simontorres38

simontorres38 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Simon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma sr5
    Do I have to get the letter in order to go In to the dealer? Cause mines is vibrating

13. Apr 13, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    BigE taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDOR DCSB
    I did receive a letter but you can go to the toyota recall website and enter your vin to see if you truck meets the criteria then just go to the local dealer

14. Apr 13, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    peteyfresh

peteyfresh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco DCLB, 04 4Runner, 97 Jeep ZJ, 86 VW GLI
    Spider joint is just another name Toyota calls the u-joint

15. Apr 13, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    peteyfresh

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    No you don't but it only covers 05-11

simontorres38[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 13, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    peteyfresh

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    What many people don't seem to understand is that this is not a recall. It is a warranty extension on rear drive shaft u-joints, and only covers bad u-joints. It does not cover the carrier bearing. In very rare cases it covers the entire drive shaft if damage is caused to it by a failed u-joint.
    I can't tell you how many people come in expecting all their u-joints replaced for free.

blu92in99 and MolonLabeTaco like this.
  17. Apr 14, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    boi951

boi951 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Boo
    Galveston Island, Republic of Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5............... 2009 OR................. 2006 AC.................
    Just fyi... 2009 Prerunner Off Road. Had my u-joints replaced over a year ago by a local independent shop.
    Got my letter from Toyota just this last February. Luckily I had saved all my receipts and submitted the documentation to Toyota on Feb. 17, 2018. Got my refund in full from Toyota yesterday. Whoop!

18. Apr 14, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    I greased my u joints during 20 Dec week - just greased it again today. So in 4 months time, the joints all dried up; each rear joint took 5-6 pumps before the grease bled out. These trucks may last a long time, but they are certainly medium to high maintenance. Border line BMW level, but without the expense. I still really like the truck though. At least once you ‘know’ the Tacoma, you know about 5 different Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

I just got a new ball joint press kit and will be replacing the rear joints this summer.

19. Jul 24, 2018 at 7:56 AM
    4x4Taco09

4x4Taco09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 BSP DC LB
    Kings, Deavers, Brute Force, Prinsu, Lights, all the stuff
    Assuming you work for Toyota, if a guy comes in with some kind of lift are you going to turn him away and say that the lift caused any and every problem?
    Im not taking my whole lift off just to hopefully get a ujoint swapped. I would gladly pay extra to have my carrier replaced at the same time though (only reason Im asking)

20. Jul 24, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    Fwiw I have bilstein 5100's set to the 0.85" setting(done by dearer during frame swap) and got all 3 u joints replaced for free under this program.
    Almost everyone with a Tacoma around here (especially 2nd gen) has done sort of lift/leveling kit. My dealer doesn't turn people away for stupid stuff like that.

Products Discussed in

To Top