1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warranty Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toyota Truck, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jan 26, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Hey whats going on TW. First off I have a 2008 prerunner with a open diff and a automatic. The other day I was at a red light and when it turned green I steped on the gas and the trans slipped, and then for some reason when I am going down a hill and press the gas the engine just reves like its in neutral then it "catches" the gear and drives fine. Also sometimes it makes a werid noise like when something got in a fan, but more mechanical (the dealer described it has a "flutter") between 30-40 mph during normal accelration. So yesterday I took it to the dealer they checked the truck w/the computer and even rode w/me so they could hear the "flutter" but they said they it was normal. All they said they could do was reset the computer. I tried to show them how the truck reved while going down a hill but I couldn't find anything steep enough close to the dealership, and on top of that I forgot to tell them about the trans slipping. I am going back tomrrow to tell them about the sliping. My question is will they charge me if I ask them to drop the transmission oil pan to check for any damage? It's still under warranty. Your help would be great.

2. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    I had my transfer case oil dropped because I was havng a drive line slap. I did end up paying for the oil at first but, due to the shaving in the fluid, the whole case was replaced. Worth the $35.00 I think

3. Jan 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Shouldn't charge you anything if it's a warranty covered repair.

4. Jan 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    probably will charge you,unless they find something when they drop it.

5. Jan 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    That's pretty much it. The service manager said upfront that going into the inspection process that until they can identify the route cause or "failure" of a possible warranty issue, you are paying for the time and parts. When the problem is found, it's all covered. That said, as long as there has been no abuse or incorrect fluids kinda stuff..

I've heard so many times that "that's normal" from one dealer only to have another one set me up in a rental and replace major parts to fix the issue?

6. Jan 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    Toyota Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Thanks a lot guys for your input, I am going to the dealer first thing in the morning. BTW if they do charge me, about how much do you think it will set me back?

7. Jan 26, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    mine will 'slip' if I drop it in N at the light, then shift to drive and immediately punch it. Then it kicks in and all is good... otherwise it never has an issue. You're not doing something similar by chance are you?

8. Jan 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    You can always call the Toyota number in the manual and find out if things are warranty covered rather than relying on the honesty of a dealer.

9. Jan 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    Toyota Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    No sir, I drive my truck like a grandma I don't spend the tires (peel out), don't punch it at green lights, I don't even tow anything. Hopefully every thing works out at the dealer. I also want to take it in for the exsaust system TSB. Does any one know where I can download it?

10. Jan 31, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    Toyota Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    So I went back the to the dealer and they hook the truck up to a couputer they also drove the truck to see if the trans shifted correctly and they didn't find anything so they told me they did not see a reason to drop the trans oil pan. They also told me I have a 60,000mi manfacuer warranty and after that I still have a extended warranty. So if anything was to happen it would be covered. They even washed my truck and aired up my spare to the correct psi. to get rid of that light. Thanks for the help guys.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top