1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warranty work out of warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by evander24, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Jan 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    evander24

evander24 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Poconos
    Hi,
    I own a 2005 4.0 v6 TRD full cab Taco with 63,000 miles on it. I haven’t had many complaints on it until recently. Keep in mind that I take care of my truck and have it serviced as suggested by Toyota. I have had mud flaps sheer off from the fender ($100 per flap); CAI hose vibrating under the hood ($120 for the hose & tsb available but @35,000 miles warranty), the digital thermometer and compass died, replacement is pricy...no tsb found, and the rear suspension can barely handle the truck with no load, forgetaboutit if I wanted to use it as a truck should be used. I have found tsb's for the leaf springs but guess what, only good until 35,000 miles. The annoying thing about the leaf springs is that I went to the dealer with ~33,000 miles on it complaining of the leaf springs squeaking and underperforming and all they did was put grease up the spring and said the performance is normal; they never even it for a test ride. So when the grease wore off and the squeak came back I was over the 35,000 miles and they never entered my initial complaint into the computer…so there is no record of me bringing it in with that problem before 35,000 miles.

Is there anyone out there with similar problems or stories of the dealership helping or not helping customers after the warranty is over? It is obvious that there are major problems with the original parts or they wouldn’t have redesigned them, why do I have to pay top dollar to bring my truck up to “normalcy” when the original parts used were crap?
    Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
    FYI, I spoke with a manager from the dealership and all he could offer was 10% off parts. Is this fair or should I go to Toyota to see if they can help?
    Thanks for your time!
    Eric

2. Jan 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Arctic Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Money pit.
    Compass/thermometer can be fixed with $0.10, ten minutes, and a soldering iron. The thread is on the first page.

Take the mudflaps off and leave them off. They're worthless.

Don't spend the money on TSB rear leafs, buy aftermarket leafs instead. You can getter better ride, performance, and weight carrying ability for less money.

3. Jan 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    call toyota customer relations,it cant hurt,see what they say.

4. Jan 11, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It sounds like you waited a while to have problems- Waiting until 33K/4 or 5 years to complain about the springs-You didn't notice before that?? Parts do rattle loose and wear out at 35K and fall apart after time.

The only thing you really can do is dealer shop and try to get one that'll give you the good will to do the work despite your warranty. It's a business just the same as any other- The deal was 3years or 36K which ever came first- and you got to 3 years. That's what extended warranties are for (at least some extended warranties...)

Best of luck.

5. Jan 11, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC LB PreRunner Sport
    I had the same problem regarding them not documenting the rear spring complaint. When I came back with the TSB, I was over the 3yr/36k and they said I was out of luck. The best they would do for me was a 50/50 on the TSB and they quoted me something like 1000 as my half. Didn't think it was worth it and was jut going to do an AAL but came across a member on the board upgraded and selling their TSB+AAL for a good price so I bought it.

I'd try to talk to the service manager or general manager and tell him you are a good customer (regular service, etc) but are not satisfied with lack of documentation and want to file a complaint against the dealership. Maybe a call to customer relations will change the dealers mind a bit. good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

6. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    evander24

evander24 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Poconos
    I fixed the compass over the weekend, just needed a little solder- thanks Mxpatriot!
    I want mud flaps to keep the road debris / snow & mud spray off the truck...but dont want to spend $100 bucks on the same flimsy piece of plastic.
    Brunes is right, i did wait too long on the springs but it was already after the warranty period and I had an inkling that it was not going to be easy to get the dealer to help me out at all after they wouldnt even take into the garage to look at it. After i had a handfull of other things break on me I realized that I need to try to have the dealership help with the cost of replacing the defective parts.
    So I spoke with the service manager on Monday and all he could do for me was offer 10% off the parts..and I think there is a coupon with that offer currently available, so he did me no favors there.
    Next step is filing a complaint with Toyota relations and see if they can help in anyway.
    Thanks for all the advise / help and I will keep you posted.

7. Jan 13, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    evander24

evander24 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Poconos
    Brunes...what is aal, or tsb=aal?
    Thanks!!

8. Jan 13, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker