1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Was my 09 TSB done right?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zhangxy0526, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jul 11, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the TSB states alingment for the TRD's as well. i copied the stuff in post #5 straight from the TSB.

2. Jul 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I would think the dealers would do a better alignment than a place like Firestone. At this point it's more about principle then actual issues with your truck, and you're right it's not worth the hassle to fight over a $50 alignment. The TSB clearly states the rear leaf spring requires a 4 leaf pack on the rear for a TRD model done with toe in alignment. Shelling the $50 out of your pocket to do the alignment is nonsense. At this point I'd probably just say F it if your truck is riding fine. I don't think you'll have any issues down the raod. This goes back to why are the dealers being so difficult in regards to the rear TSB.

3. Jul 11, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    zhangxy0526

zhangxy0526 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Sigh... They played the Toyota card again -- told me that Toyota rep. said only perform alignment for TSB with shock change. I already called Toyota 1-800 and see what they say.

Anyways, I think like FL4x4Taco said: they are just being cheap. Do you think dealers do a better alignment job than other garage like Firestone? If not, in the end, I'm not sure I wanna go through another fight for a $50 front wheel alignment... :( OK, I admit I'm a push-over.

4. Jul 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    TreyMR2

TreyMR2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    still saving... :(
    Probably either a lazy or busy tech. Me and one of the other techs usually just do alignments if theres ANY dought in our mind cause we don't want come back but some guys just blow it off to get it outta their hands faster. Less time on one truck=more time to make more money. To your question about whether dealers are any better than any other shop for an alignment, most cases not really. Its all about the individual tech doing it.

5. Jul 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    zhangxy0526

Member:
    I understand your point. I felt being mistreated too. I did get my concern up to the case manager who proved my TSB when I call the 1-800 number.

However the job is done with a dealer two hours away from my city. Ok, that's probably a bad move. I don't think I can travel there for the alignment again. The best result I can get at this point is probably having a local dealer re-align my truck but the case manager have to pull some strings for this, I guess. Me going directly to a local dealer who did perform the TSB -- I don't I can get anything.

6. Jul 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    zhangxy0526

Member:
    Yes I checked the TSB after you posted the stuff too. I actually did mention it to the dealer when I was there. But they played the "TSB doesn't apply to 09" and "Toyota said no" cards again, like knee-jerk relex, hehe. :crapstorm:

And this dealer actually is better than the other local dealers I tried. Maybe Toyota did play it cheap too b/c of the bad economy. Maybe it is them who made it such a hassle hoping to make people cave.

It is a principle problem so I don't want to give up easy ... We'll see how that played out when I talked to the case manager. After all, they are the ones really want to "close the case". What I meant was that I just won't fight as hard as the TSB.

7. Jul 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    zhangxy0526

Member:
    You got it, man. It is "Bob" who have 30-year experience said no need for alignment. LOL. I can even picture the guy in my head.

The problem I think for a dealership is that it is a big entity. Service department is just part of them. Unlike other garages, I guess they don't care their reputation as much. After all, they won't starve as long as the sales department keeps moving cars. They also have warranty, CPO related work anyways.

The sad part is alignment is the one thing you cannot DIY because of the equiment it requirement. After all these s**t, what I learned is that the meaning of DIY is not only about saving money, but to put your truck in the hands of who cares the most, your own hands...

8. Jul 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    zhangxy0526

Member:
    I'm a "member" now, not a "junior" member anymore.

Yeah~~~ :bananadance::rofl::taco:

9. Jul 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    TreyMR2

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:

Thats pretty much it, some dealers will take better care of retuning long time customers though. I NEVER let anyone else touch my car or my jeep. Lol I couldn't imagine how I'll be when I get my truck. Good thing is I'm the guy I'd have to bring it to anyways. Lol If you have the tools and know how DIY is the only way to go. I had a guy come to me with a check engine light on in a matrix the other day and all it needed was a new gas cap, $25. The guys bill was $118 after labor. He could've went to advanced and got them to check his light and did some research and when and put the new gas cap on himself.

10. Jul 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Heck I know this is way wrong, but if the dealers mechanic was that lazy, they could just state they did the alignment without doing it....it would give the customer some sort of satisfaction, and the dealer would be happy too. I don't understand why any dealer would argue about guaranteed work and getting paid handsomely for it :confused:

11. Jul 12, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Nope...Nothing can void a warranty automatically...If they break something while working under there then Toyota won't cover it...but Firestone should. And the guy at Firestone near me is great at getting both my cars set up- They both wear even and drive true....I'm sure there are better places- and places that are alot worse...

Toyota doesn't pay full cost iirc for warrnat work. So while your truck is on the rack getting aligned for X dollars/per hour...they COULD be making X+25 dollars for doing a customer paid job. And they probably still owe the tech his normally hourly wage for the work....so it's not as great a deal as it seems.

12. Jul 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    zhangxy0526

Member:

Actually the service guy did try to tell me the alignment was done. I read through the paperwork they gave me and checked the truck and then went back. Then they told me the tech said it was not done.

I'm really glad that I found the crapstorm expression: :crapstorm:

It is do a IQ quiz when dealing with a dealer. LOL.

13. Jul 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    zhangxy0526

Member:
    A couple years ago I've been charged $200 for a 10-dollar engine air vlave connector. That's what woke me up and I started to learn some DIY knowledge. It is fun anyways. It's a shame that you're too far away from the great state of Arizona. :)

14. Jul 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    zhangxy0526

Member:

15. Jul 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    All a Toy. tech is going to do is drive it and if there is no drastic "pull," he'll call it good. Most of these line techs. are in such a hurry. I think if it's really bothering you, you should have a reputable tire shop (that puts vehicles on the alignment rack all day long) look at it. They are more alignment experts anyway. IMHO.

16. Jul 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    zhangxy0526

Member:
    I'd guess so. I'll most likely try Firestone near my work if not this time then in the future. I'd like to see some alignment data anyways.

17. Jul 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    geolink

geolink Well-Known Member

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB MagGray TRD SPORT
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
    Please allow a jump in for some alignment specs - or send me to another thread?

09 TRD DC LB TSB 4 leaf spring sets on rear (about 1" raise over the 3 leaf springs).
    Billy 5100's all around. Fronts at .085 only.
    Alignment Specs? Anyone know (for when I go for alignment)?

How 'bout if Fronts set at 1 75". Specs then?

I would like to be educated.
    Thanks for allowing the intrusion.

By the way, my dealer did the alignment when just the TSB springs were installed.

18. Jul 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    zhangxy0526

Member:
    Not at all.

I'm thinking about 5100's too. I'm curious about whether the specs change or not. You see, when I was thinking about the geometry, I kinda felt that you always want the tires to form certain angles with repect to ground. When riding height or other factors change, those angles are off so you need to change them back with an alignment job? :confused:

I'm a complete dummy on this please educate me. :help:

19. Jul 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    TreyMR2

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    This is something that is VERY often unknown. We get paid 100% commission and just about everything has a set amount of hours in which it should be done. So that means say your TSB is a 2 hour job. It the truck seems ok the mechanic can save a lot of work from himself by not doing it. If he does do the alignment and the whole job takes say 2.5 hours, that .5 is UNPAID, yes free labor. We only get paid for the quoted time not how long it actually takes us to do it. You gotta be very fast and good to make money in this field. And anytime a customer comes back from us doing work on there vehicle and it not being fixed right is also unpaid. Warranty and TSB work often doesn't pay so hot so most techs wanna run threw it pretty fast.

20. Jul 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    TreyMR2

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    P.S. I'm proud to say I do make sure its all done right before I send it off. Alignments only take 30mins to an hour if you halfway know what your doing. I often catch myself doing stuff I don't have to like cleaning everything after I take it off cause I'm a neat freak and it ends up taking some of my time up but I get my jobs done pretty quick still 99% of the time. Some wanna just mess your day all up though. Lol

Products Discussed in

To Top