1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

washer/dryer help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nd, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jul 26, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    We had a really old top loading washer and regular dryer and we were amazed with the drying time for our new set. A full load will dry in 25 to 40 minutes (depending on what kind of clothes) and it used to take 70 min for some loads. I bet the new washer dryer set will pay for itself in 5 years!!!

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    you're so difficult

thats what i'm thinking. hell, i'm a toyota owner. i know spending a little more initially will save you money in the long run. i'm all about spending more for quality. its an easy decision with trucks, not so easy with appliances

3. Jul 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    With the bad luck I've had with GE and Maytag I refuse to buy either one of them....Samsung one of my favorites and believe Kenmore is up there as well because of their customer support. You also need the stands...those are life savers for my boss when she does the laundry....think about a folding board for the top of both of them if you set them side by side...and yes I know Sears has their product built by other companies...GE will not be building their buy.....

4. Dec 19, 2010 at 4:24 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Hey Nate,
    What did you end up going with?

Our dryer kicked the bucket last night. My husband has to open it up today and poke around. In doing some research, I think the motor is shot. He'll find out today. Both the washer & dryer are 13 years old....and the washer has issues that I've been skirting around for atleast 8 years. They're both Maytag Neptunes.

I'm staying away from Maytag front loaders. This washer has had problems with circuitry (husband fixed) and has a class action lawsuit because of it.

My mother-in-law just bought a Samsung set.

5. Dec 19, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    unentered

unentered Son of Baconator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB4x4MGM
    OME 886/Dakar, ARE CX, AMS Filter, WT Mats, 255/85/16s
    I have the Samsung's you posted, and the girlfriend and I love them. They were easy to install, easy to operate, very quiet, and the clothes come out great. We read a lot of reviews, and considered a lot of other brands including GE. We had it down to some GE's and the Samsungs and the reviews about the repairs to the GE washers steered us toward the Samsungs. Good luck with the purchase.

6. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

My family have the samsungs as well. Don't know if they are the exact same model number. We really like them but one issue has come up. From what I understand the water pressure is what causes the detergent and softner to dispense, my detergent dispenses fine but for some reason the fabric softner compartment either doesn't empty completely or leaves some water in the thing. Doesn't bother me much as we don't use softner that much. When I move I will check the screen filters in the hoses for dirt. Don't forget the pedastals cost about 200 bucks per unit. Luckily I got mine free because Lowes was running a special.

7. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    See who is building Kenmores now. I think either Samsung or LG was or is. The good thing about Kenmore is the parts and service are always available. Samsung might be hard to find someone who can work on it. Also check Best Buy as well as Lowes--Home Depot. Everyone is trying to unload inventory right now and the deals are out there. If you have back issues....go with the pedestials and front loader(I read your comments). They have improved them now to hold your detergent and other washer knick knacks...

8. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    Delrivpilot

Delrivpilot Red Sox Nation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Westin Runnin Bars, Toytec 2" spacers, TSB suspension, Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16. Pionner Avic F700Bt, Wet Okole seats,spidertrax spacers
    We just bought the Electrolux 5.1 cu ft washer and the dryer. Had them 2 months and love them. We have three kids and do a ton of laundry. The larger capacity on the washer is great as compared to the 3.8 size we just got rid of with the whirlpool duets. We had the duets for 5 years and never really liked them. Good luck!

9. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    My folks have a Kenmore front loader washer and dryer. Only had one thing fixed on it in the 5-7 years they've had it. We just bought a top of the line LG front loader and it's solid thus far. Our Samsung dryer though, we're not so impressed with. We think the sensor is busted on it. Still dries clothes just fine, but the stupid autoshut of thing turns the dryer off before the clothes are fully dry. I just use the timed dry.

10. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    I've sold Major Appliances for over 35 years. Front Loads will save water and do large loads. Look at Maytag or Whirlpool. Eletralux is a Frigadiare and not bad for lower end. Samsung stay away from. GE is great mid line however don't go with LG. Whirlpool did some years back buy out Kitchenaid, Maytag. Bosch is good really high end.
    Top loads GE., Whirlpool, Frig. I hope this helps some

11. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    Interesting comments on GE...I have a GE profile refrigerator and based on that one product I will never buy GE again. Plus I was looking for a Hot water tank and read all the reviews on GE. Again a non starter. I believe your comments are from a maint. point of view though...Interesting comments on Bosch as the boss and I were looking at them really hard along with the electrolux. But just about everything we found was still made in Mexico....Personally I believe the wife would go with all Kenmore just because you can buy the extended warranty on everything as a pkg...but your comments were very interesting and probably reflect the easiest to maintain...am I right?:confused:

12. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I found it interesting too, since CG recommends the exact opposite as what he's saying. Hell, even when the wife and I went shopping, we hit 4-5 different stores and they had nothing but good things to say about the Samsung/LG/Kenmores.

13. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Haven't had any issues with out Samsung, except the dryer sometimes doesn't completely dry things. We liked the Samsung W&D so much, we bought a Samsung refrigerator.

14. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    If I can ask what are some of the issues with the samsung's? Do you know if they make their own or if another coompany makes them.

15. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Didn't the top of the line maytags have a major issue with the seal leaking?

16. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    You too hey? Hmm, must be the stupid dry sensor.

17. Dec 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I've read that it is a common issue.

18. Dec 19, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I repair these things for a living. Kenmore can be LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Whirlpool and probably other makes. One thing to keep in mind is that if you have issues under warranty then you have to use Sears to repair it. Some people rave about Sears repair service. Others can't stand them. Personally I would steer clear of Kenmore just for the warranty issue. I have known some of their technicians and they are under a lot of pressure to keep warranty costs down. Sometimes that means they will blow off a repair and hope it ends up on someone else's statistics for the month.

Every repair tech I know has Whirlpool stuff in their house. Every brand and every model out there has it's issues. The Whirlpool stuff has the best parts availability and prices. They are also the only company I know of that makes all their service manuals available online to any service company who is willing to pay the $125 bucks a year for access. If you buy a Samsung or LG product you have a good chance of waiting weeks for parts. It's not real likely that whoever shows up to fix it will have seen the problem that you are having either. I've had a few LG washers lately that were only 7-8 years old, cost 1000 bucks new, and were completely shot (tub bearings cost $$$).

My opinion: buy a Whirlpool Duet set. Probably won't have any issues with them and they are the least hassle to fix.

19. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I find this statement disturbing..... :D

Just the statement itself (not you or any brand)..... *Probably*?? *Least hassle to fix*?

Hell, I want a washer & Dryer that works everytime with NO hassles for 10-20 years!! Is that to much to ask for? I wanna know if all those brand names can deliver me that...?

(I hate shopping for appliances)

20. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    janster --- if that is what your looking for then I would "recommend" Kenmore, Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, Bosch. You should be able to get them to the 12 year mark trouble free...but remember it's still mechanical and anything mechanical needs service...this is where the wrench turners can tell you what they are seeing and what they like or dislike about a product. When you go to buy a product ask them where it is made or assembled. I think you'll find alot of it is in Mexico. Geeeez I drive a VW tdi and it's assembled with parts made in Mexico. BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) you as the consumer must be aware and know what questions to ask...I always like to get the maintainers point of view my self....then I temper it with the rest of my research.

Products Discussed in

To Top